The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

What source do you consider the most accurate if not the composite?
I don’t considerate it inaccurate because of their scouts, it’s the formula, I love the concept but as I pointed out NR+153+150 should not equal a composite of 110.

I like 247’s national ranking and rivals rankings, both are pretty good imo

Reactions: Vols410
Bto

Help me out. Unless I am
Lost it isn't that he's unranked on espn he just hasn't been evaluated.
Is that right?

For instance Pember is a 4star NR prospect with a grade of 80 on espn

This guy is ranked one spot ahead of ORK in the 247 rankings but 140 composite while ORM is 112.

Here's why it's gets complicated. He's NR on espn but 101 in rivals. It's reasonable to assume the reason why ORK jumps him in the composite is his espn position ranking of 31 which is substantial lower than the 23 ranking 247 gave him as the 152 overall player.

Tyreek Smith, Trinity Christian School, Power Forward

Now what makes it ever harder is I don't think ORK even has an espn profile.

Anyway I am not defending the composite rankings just saying that it makes mathematical sense to have a composite better than any of your 3 overall rankings

This guy is ranked one spot ahead of ORK in the 247 rankings but 140 composite while ORM is 112.

Here's why it's gets complicated. He's NR on espn but 101 in rivals. It's reasonable to assume the reason why ORK jumps him in the composite is his espn position ranking of 31 which is substantial lower than the 23 ranking 247 gave him as the 152 overall player.

Tyreek Smith, Trinity Christian School, Power Forward

Now what makes it ever harder is I don't think ORK even has an espn profile.

Anyway I am not defending the composite rankings just saying that it makes mathematical sense to have a composite better than any of your 3 overall rankings

In theory yes, but that’s assuming there’s 40+ examples of recruits who have 2 very opposite rankings and I don’t think that’s the case.

I’m also not sure I’ve ever saw 247 mention that they use rivals/ESPN/247 national rankings to come up with their scores...for all I know they’re adding in Bob’s Recruiting Service rankings as well.

In theory yes, but that’s assuming there’s 40+ examples of recruits who have 2 very opposite rankings and I don’t think that’s the case.

I’m also not sure I’ve ever saw 247 mention that they use rivals/ESPN/247 national rankings to come up with their scores...for all I know they’re adding in Bob’s Recruiting Service rankings as well.

Nearly certain I've seen that with football and assume the same for hoops

I'm thinking him not having a grade for espn means his NR has to be thrown out and it makes his composite much better than others that do have a service that is NR

I'm thinking him not having a grade for espn means his NR has to be thrown out and it makes his composite much better than others that do have a service that is NR
He has a grade on ESPN, he just isn’t ranked inside their top-100.

How so? If his ESPN grade is thrown out that means his only rankings used are 150 & 153, shouldn't equal to 110.

ESPN goes to 100, Rivals 150, and 247 to like 225...it would seem logical the only accurate way to get a composite is if a player is ranked in all 3 services. If they aren’t then do you just go off their 2 rankings to get a composite, or maybe even 1 ranking?

I've explained how mathematically

However that isn't the case as now I see the profile.
Right, it’s inaccurate as I’ve said from the start. I wish that wasn’t the case because it’s a great idea but no matter how you slice it a guy ranked 150 &153 shouldn’t be an average/composite of 110.

Right, it’s inaccurate as I’ve said from the start. I wish that wasn’t the case because it’s a great idea but no matter how you slice it a guy ranked 150 &153 shouldn’t be an average/composite of 110.

If his NR espn was 101 in theory it could be but it isn't

If his NR espn was 101 in theory it could be but it isn't
That’s what I’ve been saying though, ESPN stops ranking at 100 so unless you’re suggesting 247 has convinced ESPN to rank kids past 100 yet not release those rankings it doesn’t make sense.

The issue is that you can’t apply a ranking to that at all, no way to know where that stacks him nationally. I also don’t think you can search all prospects on ESPN to see how many say have an 82/81/80/79 etc. grade which would allow you to at least group said players.

47 PF us something that could be used in a formula

VN Store

Back