The Month of May

From Indy during practice, Danica Patrick struck a crew member of Dayle Coyne Racing. The guy is hospitalized with a concussion and facial lacerations. He came down on his head after being knocked for a flip.

just saw the video. they had a camera right there. dude is lucky to alive. his face hit her rear tire.

it's not supposed to happen. occasionally it does though. many years ago a corner worker got ran over during a race in Canada and died. most of time though somebody gets clipped by a wing or bumped by a wheel. this guy go hit pretty hard.

it's not supposed to happen. occasionally it does though. many years ago a corner worker got ran over during a race in Canada and died. most of time though somebody gets clipped by a wing or bumped by a wheel. this guy go hit pretty hard.

There have been a few corner workers killed, There was a lady killed at Brainard when I was a corner worker. Our group had a couple of minor injuries. Once I was just missed by a Formula Ford that flipped over another cars wheels.

i'm curious to hear what Danica has to say. just by the video, i don't know how she didn't see him.

i'm curious to hear what Danica has to say. just by the video, i don't know how she didn't see him.

Damn women drivers! Hahaha! I'm sure she was just touching up her lipstick, give the girl a break :birgits_giggle:

Probably focusing on her interview answers, and checking her makeup, flipping her hair. You know, the normal race driver things.

Best Indy 500 Memories.

1. Seeing how darn big the place is. We typically sat high in the short shute between 3 and 4. When you look across the infield to the opposite grand stands - it looks like it's about a mile away (and it is).

2. Seeing how many people are there. I was a regular attendee when the 500 was near it's height of popularity. Being enclosed in a 2 and 1/2 mile area with over 400,000 people is pretty mind boggling.

3. The infield - my first 5 - 7 Indy's were viewed from the infield. You have to see the shenanigans to believe them. Watching all the crafty ways to take beer in was amazing. My favorite 2 were seeing people bungee 2 or 3 full coolers onto Little Red Wagons or the guy that cut 2 holes in the truck lid of his car and stuck a keg in each (the trunk was full of ice). We would take cases and cases of beer in. People would pass out and get horribly sunburned.

The most amazing infield tradition was the ritual flipping a car over and burning it! I saw it every year. People also burned chairs, couches, etc. Lot's of little fires all over the infield.

People would spell out clever sayings like FU using empty beer cans stuck in the fence between the infield and the track.

People would see how big a pile of beer cans they could amass on the other side of the fence (in the grass between the fence and the track).

Endless fights, drinking, boob-showing, and general bad behavior. It was awesome!

4. The program with the pull out, folding page showing all 33 entries cars in their paint schemes. I still have a few.

5. The great names before the IRL/CART split (the Andretti's, the Unsers, the Bettenhausen's, Jim Crawford, Fittipaldi, Luyendyke, Cheever, Brayton, Rahal, Mansell, Guerrero, Fabi, Sneva, Rutherford, Foyt, Mears, etc.)

6. The clash of old school Sprint car drivers with new school open wheel drivers. U.S. dirt trackers vs. International formula drivers.

7. Seeing guys who came only to Indy - every year. They did this eventhough the track had killed their friends or family or crippled them. They had to. It was in their DNA.

8. The old qualifying format and the jubilation/agony of Bump Day.

9. Tom Carnegie's classic commentary.

10. Watching pole speeds climb year after year reaching the 230's.

11. The changing engine and chassis combinations - the Ford Cosworth's, the Buick V8's, the short-lived efforts from Porsche and Mercedes, Chevy's, the Chapparal, etc.

The Indy 500 is a racing series unto itself.

Best Indy 500 Memories.

1. Seeing how darn big the place is. We typically sat high in the short shute between 3 and 4. When you look across the infield to the opposite grand stands - it looks like it's about a mile away (and it is).

2. Seeing how many people are there. I was a regular attendee when the 500 was near it's height of popularity. Being enclosed in a 2 and 1/2 mile area with over 400,000 people is pretty mind boggling.

3. The infield - my first 5 - 7 Indy's were viewed from the infield. You have to see the shenanigans to believe them. Watching all the crafty ways to take beer in was amazing. My favorite 2 were seeing people bungee 2 or 3 full coolers onto Little Red Wagons or the guy that cut 2 holes in the truck lid of his car and stuck a keg in each (the trunk was full of ice). We would take cases and cases of beer in. People would pass out and get horribly sunburned.

The most amazing infield tradition was the ritual flipping a car over and burning it! I saw it every year. People also burned chairs, couches, etc. Lot's of little fires all over the infield.

People would spell out clever sayings like FU using empty beer cans stuck in the fence between the infield and the track.

People would see how big a pile of beer cans they could amass on the other side of the fence (in the grass between the fence and the track).

Endless fights, drinking, boob-showing, and general bad behavior. It was awesome!

4. The program with the pull out, folding page showing all 33 entries cars in their paint schemes. I still have a few.

5. The great names before the IRL/CART split (the Andretti's, the Unsers, the Bettenhausen's, Jim Crawford, Fittipaldi, Luyendyke, Cheever, Brayton, Rahal, Mansell, Guerrero, Fabi, Sneva, Rutherford, Foyt, Mears, etc.)

6. The clash of old school Sprint car drivers with new school open wheel drivers. U.S. dirt trackers vs. International formula drivers.

7. Seeing guys who came only to Indy - every year. They did this eventhough the track had killed their friends or family or crippled them. They had to. It was in their DNA.

8. The old qualifying format and the jubilation/agony of Bump Day.

9. Tom Carnegie's classic commentary.

10. Watching pole speeds climb year after year reaching the 230's.

11. The changing engine and chassis combinations - the Ford Cosworth's, the Buick V8's, the short-lived efforts from Porsche and Mercedes, Chevy's, the Chapparal, etc.

The Indy 500 is a racing series unto itself.

Great list, I got to hear Carnegie's trademark "It's a new track record" in 1972 when Bobby Unser broke the 190 mph mark. I would have to add Jim Nabors singing Back Home again in Indiana. It brings chills everytime.

I don't think I've heard anybody ever talk about the snake pit in a civilized manner. It still gets pretty wild in the Coke Lot and on Georgetown the night before the 500.

Great list, I got to hear Carnegie's trademark "It's a new track record" in 1972 when Bobby Unser broke the 190 mph mark. I would have to add Jim Nabors singing Back Home again in Indiana. It brings chills everytime.

Amen to Jim Nabors, add in the Purdue marching band with the "Worlds Largest Drum", the balloons, the canons as they go through each turn on the first lap. Hard not to get choked up when all this happens.

I love the first lap at speed - what an adrenaline rush.

I like how from the stands you can see when someone is out of the racing line and you know they are bound for the wall well before it happens.

I don't think I've heard anybody ever talk about the snake pit in a civilized manner. It still gets pretty wild in the Coke Lot and on Georgetown the night before the 500.

During my infield days, the Snakepit was the Turn 2 area of the infield. We hung out in Turn 4 and once on the backstretch (we had scaffolding - it was the spin and win year). It was crazy all over but the Snakepit was downright dangerous. We stayed away from it.

Now, the area we mostly went to had grandstands.

i wonder now that the 77 is out of the top 35 if we won't see Hornish in at Indy this week.

leaving at 8 AM tomorrow. the weather is looking like it's going to be a beautiful weekend.

VN Store

Back