The Los Angeles Chargers

It's sad to me that a team like the Chargers leaves a place like San Diego where they have a pretty strong fanbase, yet a team like the Jaguars stay in Jax where they continue to cover up seats with tarp because no one goes.

Well, until the eventual move to London.

Man this entire thing keeps getting better. Now they announce they'll play the next 2 seasons in the StubHub Center. You know...the 30K seat stadium the LA Galaxy play in.

I don't necessarily see a problem (in terms of profit). Lowering the supply of seats will drive up the average ticket price and it lowers cost. If you are trying to sell the most seats possible, then you will likely achieve revenue maximization, but you are not likely to achieve profit maximization.

If sports franchises weren't so heavily subsidized, you'd see a lot more 30k seat stadiums, that's for damn sure.

All jokes aside, I feel bad for the San Diego fans. I've been there several times and I love that city. Great weather, lax atmosphere, and much friendlier residents than the cesspool just up Interstate 5. They'll eventually get a team again. That's a very nice market in its own right. It'll probably be the Chargers lol

Reactions: 1 person
I don't necessarily see a problem (in terms of profit). Lowering the supply of seats will drive up the average ticket price and it lowers cost. If you are trying to sell the most seats possible, then you will likely achieve revenue maximization, but you are not likely to achieve profit maximization.

If sports franchises weren't so heavily subsidized, you'd see a lot more 30k seat stadiums, that's for damn sure.

Because it's going to be funny when they can't even fill up that stadium by the end of the season.

Granted, you could have made fun of the Titans for the same thing, because they weren't even filling up Vanderbilt Stadium their last year as the Oilers.

The owner looks like spoilt brat. Read on ESPN that he will have to pay around $550 million in relocation fees to the NFL. I'm sure that money could have been used for the new stadium nicely.

Plus the NFL was going to put in money to help them get a stadium in SD and earlier this week the talk was they were going to up the amount to entice them to stay.

And Goodell looks even more like an idiot coming out saying Spanos did "all he could" to keep the team there. Yeah...well everything except not expecting the city to pay for most of the stadium.

Because it's going to be funny when they can't even fill up that stadium by the end of the season.

Granted, you could have made fun of the Titans for the same thing, because they weren't even filling up Vanderbilt Stadium their last year as the Oilers.

I thought that issue was the year before when they played their games in Memphis at the Liberty Bowl?

Reactions: 1 person
I applaud San Diego. About time a city told a team to kick rocks. San Diego will be just fine. Really any of these cities would be just fine without their teams.

Hotel taxes are ridiculous.

I thought that issue was the year before when they played their games in Memphis at the Liberty Bowl?

It was an issue at both places.

It was worse in Memphis because Memphis was already pissed at the the NFL because they had 2 previous expansion tries that failed, and then here comes Nashville getting a team and wanted to borrow Memphis for 2 years. They averaged about 30K at the Liberty Bowl but it looked worse because that was less than half capacity. Most attributed the apathy to Memphis telling the NFL to piss off.

When they played at Vandy for 1998, it didn't seem as bad because Vandy only seats 40K, but they were still not filling it up. One of the late season games had about 25K show up. I remember the sports shows talking about it and wondering if the NFL was even going to work in Nashville because they weren't even filling a 40K stadium.

I'm tired of these owners holding their cities hostage over new stadiums. Cities for the most part already are having budget issues.

Small consolation for San Diego fans who supported their team well is that this move will be a flop.

I'm tired of these owners holding their cities hostage over new stadiums. Cities for the most part already are having budget issues.

Small consolation for San Diego fans who supported their team well is that this move will be a flop.

What bugs me is the city said they'd build a stadium, just not downtown. The city wanted it in mission valley where the Chargers and city would cover most of it (600 million from chargers, around 300 million from city) and Spanos would have to pay the last 100 million or so.

But no Spanos wants to be kronke's ***** instead where they pay big rent and barely sell tickets.

Spanos needs to sell the team and they need to move back at the end of the season. Fans will welcome them back with open arms, as long as Spanos is gone. LA will never support two teams. They can barely support one team. It’s not a money issue, it’s that most people who live there are transplants

Spanos needs to sell the team and they need to move back at the end of the season. Fans will welcome them back with open arms, as long as Spanos is gone. LA will never support two teams. They can barely support one team. It’s not a money issue, it’s that most people who live there are transplants

I agree. I think LA will eventually accept the Rams back after they get the new stadium and if they can have some winning seasons, because they have some history. And LA would have accepted the Raiders back.

But nobody wanted the Chargers. They played one season there almost 60 years ago, that's it.

There were enough Chiefs fans there Sunday that you legitimately hear "de-fense!!" chants when the Chargers were on offense. This has been a pretty pathetic showing so far.

VN Store

Back