The Grill and BBQ thread

I have it, but it can't smoke like the old school smokers. It just can't be kept cool enough. It does exceptional steak and can do some faster smoking, but if you want the slow cooked, it isn't the one.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Interesting. I've only eaten steaks off of one. Never anything else.

I've got a small electric smoker that does surprisingly well. I was kiddish at first but if anyone has limited space id strongly recommend one.

For store bought sauces I like the jack Daniels old no 7 myself. Usually when I make ribs I make half with that and half with a dry rub concoction I found online and modified.

Mine came from Lowe's and it does great. I like the electric because the temp stays moderated and I don't have to check it every 20 minutes. Sweet Baby Ray's is the bomb.

Mine came from Lowe's and it does great. I like the electric because the temp stays moderated and I don't have to check it every 20 minutes. Sweet Baby Ray's is the bomb.

I got mine at home depot. A buddy registered for one when he got married and I figured if it was good enough around the house for him (he is a member of a bbq team in Memphis) then I figured it was good enough for me as well.

Interesting. I've only eaten steaks off of one. Never anything else.

I've done ribs, shoulders, butts and brisket. They're all good, but my friends' electric's do a better job.

I've done ribs, shoulders, butts and brisket. They're all good, but my friends' electric's do a better job.

Yuck electric!!!! I prefer char coal and wood,
And I ain't a big fan of gas either!!

I have a Brinkman Electric water smoker that I bought at Lowe's for about 80 bucks. I've bbq'd chicken, brisket, pork butt and ribs. I'm still learning so don't have much advice to give as a cook but the smoker is very easy to use and I would recommend it.

I usually use Mike Mills Magic Dust and Neely's BBQ sauce (recipe can be found on Food Network). I make a sweet and a spicy version of the BBQ sauce.

That's all I got. Good luck and have fun with whatever you choose.

I have a small charcoal grill & cook everything on it. Only thing is when I cook ribs I bake them in the oven wrapped in foil for about 2 hours at about 300 degrees then throw them on the grill & add Carolina gold BBQ sauce.

bbq grill 005.jpg

bbq grill 003.jpg
This is my smoker I built last year. The power T is in gray
( I didn't have any high temp orange). I cook a bunch and really have enjoyed this.

I've got a small electric smoker that does surprisingly well. I was kiddish at first but if anyone has limited space id strongly recommend one.

For store bought sauces I like the jack Daniels old no 7 myself. Usually when I make ribs I make half with that and half with a dry rub concoction I found online and modified.

Have you try smoking using the Jack Daniels Barrel wood chips? when you find them by them up because they, for whatever reason are seasonal. Great flavor.

If you know someone near you that has an apple or peach tree that has had some limbs that are about 3" in dia. See if you can have them ,cut them in little slices then soak them in a bucket of water for a while and use them for smoking. It will add a little sweet smoke to your pork or chicken. The limbs need to be dead or it will giveyour smoke a green taste and that is not what you are looking for.

If you know someone near you that has an apple or peach tree that has had some limbs that are about 3" in dia. See if you can have them ,cut them in little slices then soak them in a bucket of water for a while and use them for smoking. It will add a little sweet smoke to your pork or chicken. The limbs need to be dead or it will giveyour smoke a green taste and that is not what you are looking for.

What about Bradford Pear limbs? There are plenty of those around from last week's storms.

Cherry wood does the same thing only a little sharper.

I like cherry also but you are correct it has stronger flavor. Maple is also good. As far as Bradford pears,I have no clue.

The fella's from work are coming over to my house tomorrow and we are cooking Boston butt and chicken!! First cook out of the year!!

Ehhh honestly this is the first time that I've cooked boston butt, I'm gonna see what we do tomorrow and I'll let you know lol.

VN Store

Back