The greatest Vol ever will retire as the most prolific passer ever!

There's certainly room for both in VolNation. We can remember and honor our war heroes (thank you for that, OneManGang) and at the same time honor our football legends (thanks for this thread, Gunner). Let's distinguish them by saying that Nowling, Klarer, Fuson and Tucker stand tall as great American Patriot Vols, while Manning and White stand tall as legends on the playing field.

Thank you both for raising these great Volunteers up for us to salute them all. :salute:

Thank you JP, you are certainly a Great Vol too:salute:

Reactions: 1 person
The Denver Broncos announced yesterday that Peyton Manning will return for at least one more season in the NFL. Manning already holds many NFL records including most career passing TD's at 530 and with just an average season he will pass Brent Farve in most career passing yards and most career wins. That by definition will make him the most prolific passer in the history of the NFL. He's been to 14 pro bowls and won 5 NFL MVP's. Not bad for a guy who wasn't good enough to win the Heisman Trophy.

Great post until the last statement. You do realize that most of the greatest NFLers didn't win the Heisman, right?

Also, has been All-Pro first team six different seasons. A much more lofty accomplishment than making Pro Bowls

Great post until the last statement. You do realize that most of the greatest NFLers didn't win the Heisman, right?

Also, has been All-Pro first team six different seasons. A much more lofty accomplishment than making Pro Bowls

The last sentence was meant to be a shot to those at ESPN who propped up Charles Woodsen to win the HT over PM.

In regards to Manning's accomplishments on the football field there are so many that I only listed a few of the most significant. The 14 pro bowl appearances are significant because with one more appearance he will set the NFL record for that too. Currently he is tied for the most with several other players.

The last sentence was meant to be a shot to those at ESPN who propped up Charles Woodsen to win the HT over PM.

In regards to Manning's accomplishments on the football field there are so many that I only listed a few of the most significant. The 14 pro bowl appearances are significant because with one more appearance he will set the NFL record for that too. Currently he is tied for the most with several other players.

I don't like it that Woodson won it, either, but it's not like his career was chopped liver.

You could also say that Brady's career wasn't that bad for a guy not good enough to go in the 1st 5 rounds.

I don't like it that Woodson won it, either, but it's not like his career was chopped liver.

You could also say that Brady's career wasn't that bad for a guy not good enough to go in the 1st 5 rounds.

Not to mention, it's a college award and it's not like Woodson didnt have a great 1997 season.

Peyton is one of the best ever, no question.

Not to mention, it's a college award and it's not like Woodson didnt have a great 1997 season.

Peyton is one of the best ever, no question.

Woodson did have a great Senior season and was deserving of many awards and accolades on the defensive side of the ball.

The Heisman Trophy goes to the most outstanding player in college football whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity.

For me Peyton Manning was much more deserving of that award his Senior season than was Charles Woodson.

No one works harder in the pursuit of excellence than Peyton Manning.

Manning didn't win the Heisman because UT played like crap against florida his senior year in a game that got a ton of national hype. The press turned on him after that game, and we'd gotten whipped the year before by Spurrier, too.

The day his number was retired.. There will never, ever be another Peyton Manning & he's ours! When he looked at me, gave me shivers!

I SAY IT'S GREAT TO BE A
TENNESSEE VOL !!!!! :rock:

View attachment 91664

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Denver,but I will record every game to have in the archive . I agree Peyton and Reggie are the all time greats.

Peyton and Reggie are two of the best VFL and ambassadors for Tennessee. Great players and men of character.

Manning didn't win the Heisman because UT played like crap against florida his senior year in a game that got a ton of national hype. The press turned on him after that game, and we'd gotten whipped the year before by Spurrier, too.

That and he had bad games against USC and Vandy. It shouldn't have mattered but I believe Woodson had "highlight" plays late in the season. I know he played big against OSU.

Woodson did have a great Senior season and was deserving of many awards and accolades on the defensive side of the ball.

The Heisman Trophy goes to the most outstanding player in college football whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity.

For me Peyton Manning was much more deserving of that award his Senior season than was Charles Woodson.

No one works harder in the pursuit of excellence than Peyton Manning.

But but woodson scored a couple of TD on offense and a couple on ST. :shakehead: CW has to thank espn and the northern voting block for his "heistman". :sad:

But but woodson scored a couple of TD on offense and a couple on ST. :shakehead: CW has to thank espn and the northern voting block for his "heistman". :sad:

No one will ever convince me that Woodson was more deserving of that award than Manning.

I guess the Denver fans didn't realize that Manning was hurt most of the second half of the season and in the game that you are referring to against the Colts.

Nothing would make me happier to see Manning go undefeated next season and throw for 60 TD's and 6,000 yards while wining a SB and beating Brady and the Pats along the way!

Manning deserves to go out on top, much like Elway did.

Denver is spoiled. Once Payton is gone that don't stand a chance at winning the Super Bowl.

Plus Andre Johnson wants a Super Bowl ring . He should sign a year contract with the Broncos.

I would humbly offer that we reserve the title of "Greatest Vol(s) Ever" for the four players who gave their lives in WWII:

Bill Nowling (KIA 10 August 1944)
Rudy Klarer (KIA 6 January 1945)
Clyde Fuson (KIA 4 December 1944)
Willis Tucker (KIA 28 November 1944)

Little crosses stand above the dead. They seldom stand alone. Men see to that. - Cpl. Elton Mackin, "Suddenly We Didn't Want to Die"

Thanks, my friend, for a great lesson in what the word "priorities" means....

Sportong News, says Payton, Atkins, White, Majors and Suffridge were the best five players at Tennessee. Berry was # 6.

VN Store

Back