The Gender Pay Gap is a Myth

I realize that you, as a pilot, are limited. Working after retirement age depends upon several things. Things like financial or emotional need to work, how much satisfaction you get from your job, how physically hard your job is, how much you like doing other things, etc.

It depends upon the individual. My mother worked until age 93 because she liked it. Being a business person was her identity. I am pretty happy being basically worthless to anybody.
If my wife has to go cold turkey from NOT having me around for half the month to me BEING here the whole month, she's gonna kill me. So there's that. I like operating the heavy equipment. It's fun. I don't give a rat's ass about golf since I moved to Florida so that's not an option. Not interested in a small airplane or fast cars. Maybe I should try out the worthless angle. :) Thanks for the advice. Seriously.

Reactions: 1 person
If my wife has to go cold turkey from NOT having me around for half the month to me BEING here the whole month, she's gonna kill me. So there's that. I like operating the heavy equipment. It's fun. I don't give a rat's ass about golf since I moved to Florida so that's not an option. Not interested in a small airplane or fast cars. Maybe I should try out the worthless angle. :) Thanks for the advice. Seriously.

Have they moved the mandatory retirement age?

My younger brother had to retire at 65 for the same reason as you; he's adapted quite well - although, I'd have to have a break from his wife. I retired several years ago (and turned worthless); I enjoy learning and researching for myself - whatever sparks my interest; learning is so much better when it's for you and not something you need to do for the job - for the sake of others. Just never stop using your mind.

Now the wife thing. When I need space, I just start in on something I've been looking into - something sure to bore her. Works every time. I know how to stay out of her way and keep her out of mine. Despite being pretty different people, we'll have been married 48 years this year.

My younger brother had to retire at 65 for the same reason as you; he's adapted quite well - although, I'd have to have a break from his wife. I retired several years ago (and turned worthless); I enjoy learning and researching for myself - whatever sparks my interest; learning is so much better when it's for you and not something you need to do for the job - for the sake of others. Just never stop using your mind.

Now the wife thing. When I need space, I just start in on something I've been looking into - something sure to bore her. Works every time. I know how to stay out of her way and keep her out of mine. Despite being pretty different people, we'll have been married 48 years this year.
I understand completely. We have a mountain house in North Carolina an hour and a half away. When we need a break from each other, one of us will go work on the house a bit. I went over by myself, and painted for 3 days over the weekend. We weren't mad at each other, just giving some space.

I enjoyed being by myself, and fixed bacon and eggs for breakfast every day. When I got home, I told her that I was glad to see a familiar face......mine. We haven't put mirrors back in the bathrooms since we gutted and remodeled them. Now that I have painted the baths, it's mirror time. I couldn't shave without a mirror. I still haven't shaved since Friday, and I normally shave every day.

I didn't leave the house, and didn't see another human on Saturday or Sunday. I was almost snowed in.

I gotcha. I have 2 things I really want to do when I retire. I reeeeeeeally want to play in a band (I'm an OK guitarist... not great, but I think I will be much better by then) and I want a sailboat. I think either of those can be turned into space. And I have always wanted to study math. Like you said, if I am doing it for myself it might be much more enjoyable than it was back in UT days.

Can the flight attendants fly as pilots or only co-pilots? If they die, does auto-pilot kick in?

Reminds+me+of+when+otto+the+pilot+needed+to+be+_74e50ef88b5f409f6b471215885f85ea.jpg

giphy.gif

I gotcha. I have 2 things I really want to do when I retire. I reeeeeeeally want to play in a band (I'm an OK guitarist... not great, but I think I will be much better by then) and I want a sailboat. I think either of those can be turned into space. And I have always wanted to study math. Like you said, if I am doing it for myself it might be much more enjoyable than it was back in UT days.

I learned a lot more about math after graduation with an MS in Engineering and at least one math course every quarter. Once you see how calculus really works (as an example), it makes things so much simpler - like why didn't you tell me this in the first place. Vibration - displacement, velocity, and acceleration in rotating equipment gives differential equations meaning. I like to see in my mind how math and physics apply to everyday events and how some of the concepts apply in places you'd never expect or thought about.

Good luck with the guitar and sailboat. I have to admit I've yet to make a real breakthrough on my bagpipes, and my sailing ship is still safe in the box - lots of wooden sticks.

I learned a lot more about math after graduation with an MS in Engineering and at least one math course every quarter. Once you see how calculus really works (as an example), it makes things so much simpler - like why didn't you tell me this in the first place. Vibration - displacement, velocity, and acceleration in rotating equipment gives differential equations meaning. I like to see in my mind how math and physics apply to everyday events and how some of the concepts apply in places you'd never expect or thought about.

Good luck with the guitar and sailboat. I have to admit I've yet to make a real breakthrough on my bagpipes, and my sailing ship is still safe in the box - lots of wooden sticks.
I started at U.T. as a Math major, and took 2 years of Calculus and Differential Equations. When I got to Math Theory, I got lost and bored, and changed my major to Economics. I never did use my math background in work, so I did not get to see or understand what it was all about.

VN Store

Back