The Gardening Thread

Where did you find the hexagonal tray? The peat pots fit perfectly! Do you know the brand name? (hint: maybe stamped underneath 🤪)
I found them at Lowe’s (which was supposed to have the refrigerator water filter I needed in stock - nope.).

Reactions: VolNExile
I use peat cups for starting. I peel them off for planting and put the pieces in my compost bin.
I usually peel off just the pot part that is above the soil line inside the pot. Of course that is my intention, but the pot tearing is certainly not in a straight line.

Reactions: Tin Man
I usually peel off just the pot part that is above the soil line inside the pot. Of course that is my intention, but the pot tearing is certainly not in a straight line.
Just to confuse the discussion, I leave them in the pot but cut down the sides to let the roots grow (spread more quickly and easily) while the pot rots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Go aeiou
Just to confuse the discussion, I leave them in the pot but cut down the sides to let the roots grow (spread more quickly and easily) while the pot rots.
Yeah, I'd usually mash the pot at the bottom to break it.
This reminds me that I need to look to see if I have and peat pots from recent years and use them. I no longer start vegetables, just flowers. I use milk cartons to germinate and transfer to plastic cells when I get true leaves.
I don't have a problem finding the tomatoes and peppers that I want to grow at local garden centers. That's what we mostly grow.

My first time growing Cherokee Purples this year. Any words of wisdom? When should I plant them? I love a good tomato and have never tried a Cherokee purple
They are marvelous, the flavor can't be beat; but depending on where you live, they can be troublesome to grow, as they don't have a ton of resistance to all the fungal and viral and bacterial crap in the air that floats up from Florida. (Again, this is really location-specific, according to your prevailing winds.) You can check with your local county Extension Master Gardener service for suggestions.

But when you can grow them, they are amazing in terms of flavor; so, so, so much better than anything that you will find in a supermarket. I will be buying them from the local tailgate markets, and blessings to those peeps who are willing to take this on.

I found them at Lowe’s (which was supposed to have the refrigerator water filter I needed in stock - nope.).
No luck for me at Lowe's today, and no luck online. Booooo.

Although my husband would like to Speak To You about the 3 fancy window boxes I bought instead.

My first time growing Cherokee Purples this year. Any words of wisdom? When should I plant them? I love a good tomato and have never tried a Cherokee purple
My favorite tomato. My wife's favorite tomato. The only tomato thaat I need to grow at least 2 plants There are also some similar tomatoes(cousins) that are good.I think one has "Carbon" in the name.
Grow like any tomato. Even watering but not too much(1-2 times a week if no rain) will help with the cracking. Mulch with straw in May-June when the soil has warmed. Needed for our 90-100 degree July/August. Don't crowd them. If possible plant in soil where tomatoes weren't planted the previous year.
I use organic fertilizer.
If you are in Knoxvlille you probably want to plant in mid to late april. maybe use a 2 liter bottle with the bottom and lid removed as a greenhouse when planting.
So, basically plant like you would most tomatoes.
I'm sure others have other methods that produce great tomatoes.

- to clarify, I'm in Asheville, and our prevailing winds come up from the Gulf. In East Tennessee, winds come from the west. Once I moved here, it took me several years to grasp this, as I always dealt with westerly winds. It's a whole different thing.

The difference is that we're on the eastern side of the Smokies/ Blue Ridge, so except in very rare circumstances, we don't have the prevailing westerlies that dominate the weather on the other side of the mountains. Instead, we get winds from the south that bring all sorts of @#$%^&* up from the Florida area.

It's amazing what 80 miles or so, with mountains in between, can do to your gardening.

- to clarify, I'm in Asheville, and our prevailing winds come up from the Gulf. In East Tennessee, winds come from the west. Once I moved here, it took me several years to grasp this, as I always dealt with westerly winds. It's a whole different thing.

The difference is that we're on the eastern side of the Smokies/ Blue Ridge, so except in very rare circumstances, we don't have the prevailing westerlies that dominate the weather on the other side of the mountains. Instead, we get winds from the south that bring all sorts of @#$%^&* up from the Florida area.

It's amazing what 80 miles or so, with mountains in between, can do to your gardening.
I'm in Nashville. Two different climates. My BIL lives near Asheville and doesn't grow it.

Also any tips for blueberries and blackberries? Pick up some from Walmart. Blueberries are patriot and blue Ray and the blackberry is Natchez.

Blueberries are easy. Throw them in some 50/50 top soil and compost and you’ll see them happy for a long time. Just feed them some 10-10-10 a few times starting early in the spring finishing with your last in late summer to make sure they have food for the winter. I have 3 rabbiteye varieties.

Reactions: Swiftybaby
Anybody have tips for germinating pepper seeds? It seems I always have hell. Trying a YouTube method right now and wanna do more to see what works best

Go watch Pepper Geeks channel on YouTube. They have all sorts of knowledge on growing peppers both hot and sweet varieties. But a heating pad and a good growing light are must-haves. And depending on where you live you need to start your seed ~8 weeks before your last frost date. Up to 12 weeks for very hot varieties (think Carolina Reaper hot). All 10 of my varieties germinated multiple seedlings with only 1 producing just 1 seedling (Alma paprika). Others I am growing are the habanada, poblano, jalapeño, aji dulce, Hungarian paprika, pepperoncini, and 3 varieties of bells. Out of all of them my jalapeños are the ones that sprouted first and I think I didn’t get them under a grow light quick enough so they are a little leggy. Trying the help them and sorta fix the leggyness so we shall See how they turn out. Fortunately with jalapeños I can just buy a plant from a local place if they don’t work out lol. Same with the poblanos.

Go watch Pepper Geeks channel on YouTube. They have all sorts of knowledge on growing peppers both hot and sweet varieties. But a heating pad and a good growing light are must-haves. And depending on where you live you need to start your seed ~8 weeks before your last frost date. Up to 12 weeks for very hot varieties (think Carolina Reaper hot). All 10 of my varieties germinated multiple seedlings with only 1 producing just 1 seedling (Alma paprika). Others I am growing are the habanada, poblano, jalapeño, aji dulce, Hungarian paprika, pepperoncini, and 3 varieties of bells. Out of all of them my jalapeños are the ones that sprouted first and I think I didn’t get them under a grow light quick enough so they are a little leggy. Trying the help them and sorta fix the leggyness so we shall See how they turn out. Fortunately with jalapeños I can just buy a plant from a local place if they don’t work out lol. Same with the poblanos.
Keep us posted on the Habanadas! I really enjoyed being able to taste the flavor without my skull exploding, and I should have used them in at least 1-2 jars of salsa I put up.

Thanks dog. Do you dry the Hungarians and make paprika?

Keep us posted on the Habanadas! I really enjoyed being able to taste the flavor without my skull exploding, and I should have used them in at least 1-2 jars of salsa I put up.

I will! I’m with you on the heat. I want to taste the flavor of the pepper without tearing out my tongue. Another reason I’m growing the aji dulce (a sweet pepper used in Caribbean cuisine).

I may even try smoking some and see what a powder of that tastes like.

Thanks dog. Do you dry the Hungarians and make paprika?

Thats the plan. Because to my bbq hobby I use a lot of paprika so I figured let’s give this a shot and make my own. I tried growing the 2 different varieties I mentioned above, but with only the 1 Alma plant growing it may not be as in depth of a trial as I was hoping for. I plan on making regular and smoked paprika powders from the 2 varieties.

I also saw your post about shallots and if anybody has any experience with growing them. I don’t have any with shallots, but last year I grew a ton of garlic which I have been using all year (along with others in my family) and will be drying up a good amount of the cloves for garlic powder. I’m looking forward to it.

Thats the plan. Because to my bbq hobby I use a lot of paprika so I figured let’s give this a shot and make my own. I tried growing the 2 different varieties I mentioned above, but with only the 1 Alma plant growing it may not be as in depth of a trial as I was hoping for. I plan on making regular and smoked paprika powders from the 2 varieties.

I also saw your post about shallots and if anybody has any experience with growing them. I don’t have any with shallots, but last year I grew a ton of garlic which I have been using all year (along with others in my family) and will be drying up a good amount of the cloves for garlic powder. I’m looking forward to it.
I’d love to grow some Hungarians and make my own paprika. Let us know how it is. I’ve got about 40 cloves of garlic in right now. The wait is killing me lol

Best yellow tomatoes to grow? I'm in Nashville.
Low acid, taste
I grew lemon Boy Plus last year. Yummy, I think someone here recommended it.

Best yellow tomatoes to grow? I'm in Nashville.
Low acid, taste
I grew lemon Boy Plus last year. Yummy, I think someone here recommended it.
I’ve grown yellow pears the past couple years and love em. High yield and a sweet taste. It’s a cherry tomato though so not sure if it’s what you’re lookin for

Reactions: Go aeiou
I honestly don’t know. I just took some bulbs from the food city and put them in the ground. They seem to be doing well though.
If you ever want to venture into other varieties look up Keene Organics. They have a lot of organic options for garlic, shallots, and onions as well as other plants such as potatoes and asparagus. I bought 3 different varieties of garlic from Keene and all turned out amazing (Music, Red Chesnok, and Lors Italian). I also used their specialized garlic feed which I think worked very well since garlic is a very heavy feeder. The scapes on the 2 hard neck varieties were delicious as well. Used them in stir fry. When I grow garlic again I will definitely get more Lors and Music. May just stick with those two. The Lors turned out HUGE heads in my garden. Music did as well but that is known for that variety. The Chesnok was good, but not as well developed as the other 2.

Blueberries are easy. Throw them in some 50/50 top soil and compost and you’ll see them happy for a long time. Just feed them some 10-10-10 a few times starting early in the spring finishing with your last in late summer to make sure they have food for the winter. I have 3 rabbiteye varieties.
Technically, blueberries prefer a more acidic soil, but I've never got that specific with them. I just plant them in what I got, and never really have bad luck with them. Except for the one's I transplanted up to TN from GA. Guy trimming some trees out dropped one on them. They didn't like that.

If you ever want to venture into other varieties look up Keene Organics. They have a lot of organic options for garlic, shallots, and onions as well as other plants such as potatoes and asparagus. I bought 3 different varieties of garlic from Keene and all turned out amazing (Music, Red Chesnok, and Lors Italian). I also used their specialized garlic feed which I think worked very well since garlic is a very heavy feeder. The scapes on the 2 hard neck varieties were delicious as well. Used them in stir fry. When I grow garlic again I will definitely get more Lors and Music. May just stick with those two. The Lors turned out HUGE heads in my garden. Music did as well but that is known for that variety. The Chesnok was good, but not as well developed as the other 2.
My first time trying to do onions. Got the first batch in a bed on the west side of house. Will plant another row in garden when it gets tilled. See how it goes.

Got my old tire strawberry patch set up this weekend. Waiting on my plants to arivve. Saw the cat out the window out there apparently thinking this was some kind of new litter box hotel. There will be issues if I find uprooted strawberries plants down the road.

Reactions: zhangliao04

VN Store

Back