The Doug Dickey Rule = Hire Kiffin (Must Read -- Not Too Long)

WiseOlVol

"The worst decision I ever made," were the words Doug Dickey said to me at church one Sunday in 1984 when he was working a day job in Lakeland, Florida.

Coach Dickey had beaten Bear Bryant 3 times in a row (1967-1969) as UT's head coach (3-2-1 v Bear), and won the 67 and 69 SEC Championships, but his heart lead him home to Gainesville where he'd been the QB in the early 50s. Vols felt betrayed, having given Coach Dickey his 1st head coaching job, and embarrassed because Florida was a 2nd-tier program.

Instead of UT continuing to dominate the SEC and play for NCs, Dickey's absence at Tennessee left a vacuum that put Bryant and Alabama in the record books. We've never really recovered. Dickey's coaching career was over in 9 years, after going 58-43-2 at Florida and only once finishing higher than 4th in the SEC. He was 0-4 in bowls.

Swallowing our pride, forgiving the insult and using our heads, in 1985 UT named Doug Dickey its Athletic Director, a post he occupied through 2002. His time as athletic director was notable for the improvement and expansion of the university's athletic facilities. Neyland Stadium was expanded to more than 100,000 seats, and other additions included the Thompson–Boling Assembly Center and Arena, the Lindsey Nelson Baseball Stadium, the Goodfriend Tennis Center, executive suites at Neyland Stadium, the Neyland–Thompson Football Complex, and the Thornton Athletics Student Life Center. Dickey also had the unusual experience of watching his son, Daryl Dickey, become the starting quarterback for the Volunteers in the middle of the 1985 season and leading them to a 35–7 win over #2 Miami Hurricanes in the Sugar Bowl.

For those of you with too much pride to forgive Kiffin for the poor decisions of his youth: IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU. It's about this university's great football heritage and the pitiful mess it's become. As a football coach, Kiffin is as good as anyone. Knows more about offense than Saban. Knows a lot more about coaching than he did 8 years ago. Next to Miles, Kiffin Has a better resume than anyone we have considered or are considering.

Hiring Kiffin is an easy call. He wants the job. He'll bring in a top coaching staff. We'll get our Top-5 recruiting class back. The kids will love playing for him. If he doesn't work out (unlikely), we'll make another move in 5 years not wondering whether we twice lost lightning in a bottle.

Reactions: 135 people
Preaching to the choir friend. Might email that to Currie instead. Oh...and CC it to Manning, Davenport and the BOT while you're at it. No way in hades will Kiffin coach here again as long as Currie is AD and Haslam controls the decisions. We suck. We aren't making a big, expensive and explosive hire. Accept the death watch surrounding UT football.

Reactions: 1 person
3 weeks ago, I never would have guessed this logic would take root here. The events of the last few days make me think this might be a good idea. I'm beginning to think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome or battered Vol syndrome. Somethings not right, but as of this moment, I'd breath a sigh of relief getting Kiffin. Probably would regret it later.
Freak had a good idea - Hire him and give him an enormous buyout. If that happens, so long and it means we are winning. Brilliant.

Reactions: 8 people
May get flamed for "comparing Kiffin to Dickey", but agree with the principle. He's simply the best gamble we can make right now and is the antithesis of Butch/Dooley.

He knows what he did when he left. I don't blame him for leaving for his dream job- a lot of people would do that if they're honest. It was the way he left. Regardless, too many people misplace the anger at our own AD's failure to rebuild the program onto Kiffin.

He would come back in a heartbeat and this could be some sort of twisted, perfect match.

Reactions: 11 people
Well said OP,
My father still has a dislike for Doug Dickey because of this. Its very hard for some people to swallow their pride but in this case I fear if we do not we are in for far more heartbreak without Lane than we would be with him. #LaneTrain....GBO

Reactions: 8 people
I for one 100% agree. Kiffin is so obvious the best choice its insulting at this point that the UTAD keeps interviewing these no name canidiates and trying to pass them off to us as the best for the program. Gundy was a good try but that's it either hire Kiffin or hire Tee its that dann simple they both would take the job but the jack***s over there won't swallow there pride and make it happen. Quit with this freaking s*** show and make the call to Boca and call it over. Jeez its not that hard. Sorry for the rant I am just done at this point

Reactions: 5 people
This is probably the best post that I've ever read on here! Totally agree! Give kiffin another chance and did bet he beats Sabans @$$ within 3 years!

Reactions: 9 people
In my opinion, Norvell and a few others are better coaches than Kiffin, but we're crazy if we hire NC State's coach without at least offering the job to Kiffin first.

Reactions: 4 people
Imagine the excitement around UT football if Lane was introduced as the next coach of the Vols! Big orange-white game sales, trolling other teams, Halloween Jerseys and best of all, totally forgetting about all this garbage...knowing we finally got a big name SEC caliber coach!

Reactions: 4 people
No. This is Hatfield and Mccoy country. Blood feuds run for generations. Forgiveness is fine but satisfaction must be had. Honor demands it, at least for those of who still value honor.

Reactions: 3 people
I was 13 years old when he left for Florida and I remember how upset my dad was (class of 1950).

I’d be more than okay with Kiffin. At this point he’s the best option. For the right deal he’d come.

These jackasses need to make it happen.

Agree with the OP. Swallow your pride top brass of UT and bring back Lane who will WIN. Winning solves everything.:loco:

Reactions: 2 people
In my opinion, Norvell and a few others are better coaches than Kiffin, but we're crazy if we hire NC State's coach without at least offering the job to Kiffin first.

isn't there a Darrell Dickey on Norvell's staff as OC...any kin...:question:

PS. no kin...but a dang good OC, none the less...:):)

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Our administration is stupid and crazy and they probably will offer Doeren.

I hope Currie, Davenport, Haslam and the other idiots involved in this clusterf**k coaching search read Volnation and catch this post because it's brilliant. Couldn't agree with you more. Regarding Kiffin, let bygones be bygones.

If by some miracle Kiffin does come back, in 5 years UT brass should bow down and thank the VolNation for saving their jobs and making the University millions. We need to be heard.

I don't think Currie would ever hire Kiffin. Hopefully, if we get our wish and Currie's gone, Fulmer will be our next AD.

Fulmer has to know this. He and Kiffin need to get in a room and bury the hatchet, work out any and all differences, and hire Kiffin as our head coach. Flip side is Kiffin needs to apologize to Fulmer and the UT fans base for what he did to us.

If that happen's we've got magic on our hands.

Two scenarios:
1. He legitimately wants and would take the job.

2. He is trolling us. He wants us to give him the full Gundy treatment and then turn us down.

Pride cometh before a fall, but where Kiffin is concerned, I lean toward the former over the ladder.

Why would he come save us. I think he waits it out another year them becomes next year's Frost.

"The worst decision I ever made," were the words Doug Dickey said to me at church one Sunday in 1984 when he was working a day job in Lakeland, Florida.

Coach Dickey had beaten Bear Bryant 3 times in a row (1967-1969) as UT's head coach (3-2-1 v Bear), and won the 67 and 69 SEC Championships, but his heart lead him home to Gainesville where he'd been the QB in the early 50s. Vols felt betrayed, having given Coach Dickey his 1st head coaching job, and embarrassed because Florida was a 2nd-tier program.

Instead of UT continuing to dominate the SEC and play for NCs, Dickey's absence at Tennessee left a vacuum that put Bryant and Alabama in the record books. We've never really recovered. Dickey's coaching career was over in 9 years, after going 58-43-2 at Florida and only once finishing higher than 4th in the SEC. He was 0-4 in bowls.

Swallowing our pride, forgiving the insult and using our heads, in 1985 UT named Doug Dickey its Athletic Director, a post he occupied through 2002. His time as athletic director was notable for the improvement and expansion of the university's athletic facilities. Neyland Stadium was expanded to more than 100,000 seats, and other additions included the Thompson–Boling Assembly Center and Arena, the Lindsey Nelson Baseball Stadium, the Goodfriend Tennis Center, executive suites at Neyland Stadium, the Neyland–Thompson Football Complex, and the Thornton Athletics Student Life Center. Dickey also had the unusual experience of watching his son, Daryl Dickey, become the starting quarterback for the Volunteers in the middle of the 1985 season and leading them to a 35–7 win over #2 Miami Hurricanes in the Sugar Bowl.

For those of you with too much pride to forgive Kiffin for the poor decisions of his youth: IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU. It's about this university's great football heritage and the pitiful mess it's become. As a football coach, Kiffin is as good as anyone. Knows more about offense than Saban. Knows a lot more about coaching than he did 8 years ago. Next to Miles, Kiffin Has a better resume than anyone we have considered or are considering.

Hiring Kiffin is an easy call. He wants the job. He'll bring in a top coaching staff. We'll get our Top-5 recruiting class back. The kids will love playing for him. If he doesn't work out (unlikely), we'll make another move in 5 years not wondering whether we twice lost lightning in a bottle.

Great post

Been reading threads on this coaching search for going on 48 hours and WiseOlVol's post is easily the best I've read so far. It's worthy of being pinned in my opinion. I was just a kid, but I do remember Dickey leaving for Florida. In fact, if my memory doesn't fail me, we played Florida in the Gator Bowl and lost 14-13. We were disgusted that he left us to go coach a team that beat us in the bowl game. Anyway, we did welcome him back and he did great things for the university. I agree, bring back Kiffin. He can and will restore our program to prominence

Two scenarios:
1. He legitimately wants and would take the job.

2. He is trolling us. He wants us to give him the full Gundy treatment and then turn us down.

Pride cometh before a fall, but where Kiffin is concerned, I lean toward the former over the ladder.

Why would he come save us. I think he waits it out another year them becomes next year's Frost.

With Kiffin, legitimately wanting the job and trolling us aren't mutually exclusive.

No other job could give him the satisfaction of proving he was the right guy when we first hired him, just like no other program gets the same rise out of his trolling.

We are the perfect Frenemies.

VN Store

Back