the difference of a home run hire

The playoffs have all but destroyed any chance of a SEC teaming winning the NC. Our conference is to hard, and we can't make it through a 15 game schedule. Bama proved that this year. Look how beat up they were. Look how beat up we were this year. J. Will, North, VP, Malone, Hurd, Lane, Wolf, etc all played hurt at some point this year. The SEC + the one hard OOC game is just to much. The SEC Championship is almost as good as winning the NC with how hard the SEC is. It's all good though, ESPN and the rest of the country received what they wanted, the demise of the SEC... Hope you guys like OSU, etc....:disappointed:

The SEC is not only physically tough but it has to be mentally draining on the players. Almost every week it's a huge game against a top 20 rival in a sold out stadium. The pressure on these kids is enormous. I know other teams in other conferences have challenges but OSU for example played two ranked teams up until the playoffs. I know the SEC west didn't fair to well in their bowl games but I can't help but think outside of Alabama the other teams just couldn't get up mentally after such a rigorous season battling to try and make the playoffs only to fall short.

Money and big names don't always guarantee success. There are several coaches making more then Meyer who aren't winning anything.

I don't think that was his point. His point was sometimes going out and spending ridiculous $$'s for the 'home-run' guys becomes less ridiculous when they are celebrating on the sidelines with national championship t-shirts on.

Reactions: 1 person
Whatever.

Thankful for Butch. That last TD was classless. You whipped the team all night, set numerous records, they stop calling timeouts, but you still have to push in another score?

You'll never see Butch do that, nor should you.

AV

PS. Tressel > Dooley

With about 30 seconds left in the game...

I don't think that was his point. His point was sometimes going out and spending ridiculous $$'s for the 'home-run' guys becomes less ridiculous when they are celebrating on the sidelines with national championship t-shirts on.

I agree but that's not what he said. Well maybe he did it's up to interpretation. Lets just say we're both right and call it a night.

Meyer is a fantastic coach, recruiter, and douchebag. I just hate how he carries himself especially when he is being interviewed, so cocky and douchey.

Meyer is a good coach, but I'm a vols fan. I'm happy with Butch and the job he's doing. He walked into a disaster, Urban walked into a good team and situation. I don't wanna say anymore and offend anyone, but common sense should show you the difference in them and us.

Meyer is a good coach, but I'm a vols fan. I'm happy with Butch and the job he's doing. He walked into a disaster, Urban walked into a good team and situation. I don't wanna say anymore and offend anyone, but common sense should show you the difference in them and us.

+1 I will say UM is soooo classless and he proved it tonight. Butch will have our guys there before long.

So you're saying this has nothing to do with Tenn not landing the "home run" hire? This is just a pure unprovoked opinion about O-St and their coaching search?

You know...sometimes you just like to talk about something that has no reflection on UT's hire...even when you use the word "difference" in the title...totally random. :wink2:

Looks like suckeyes going to win nc n 3rd yr of urban...

Just really shows you the difference of big time hires n taking chances.. thank god Michigan went big I can't take the suckeye fans n urban running his mouth.

A great coaching staff does make a difference.

This is not a debate on situations TN vs. OS. Its about what a great coach can do for a program.

:hi:

OK but you have to admit. Some of these big time coaches pick and choose where they go to coach. They go to a place that has talent already there. Urban did not have to rebuild Ohio St like Butch is having to do here at UT. After Butch builds this thing sure every coach in America will want the UT job then.

No. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist (no pun intended) to realize he was most capable of running our offense. For God sakes we run a read option offense! And elected to go with the worst runner I've ever seen. It's one of those things that just almost makes question Butch's intelligence.

Ha! You must not have been around for the Casey Clausen era.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, when you see hires like what Michigan did and what Ohio State did and what Alabama did, it's hard not to wish your AD tried a bit harder.

Our AD was shackeled by crazy buyouts and a athletic dept. getting bled by the university. He wasn't in a position to back the money truck to any coach's door. Our coaching hires are coming from deep seeded incompetence within the university. I am thankful that Hart has found 2 coaches that know how to sell a dream.

It's sinple explanation! Urban had talented kids in place already. Butch has had to recruit talented kids and show them his system! He's about to start year 3!! Give the man a frigging chance!!!!

How many big name coaches are really out there though? Harbaugh only came back to college because it was his alma mater. He would never have come back for any team other than Michigan. I think it's more the program's attractiveness or personal ties that lure these guys rather than the money. Don't get me wrong, the money helps. But there are only a handful of programs that could attract guys like this, not withstanding money. And sadly enough, when Dooley was hired, Tennessee was not one of those programs.

And can we put the Gruden thing to rest? The guy hasn't coached college in decades, there's no evidence to claim he would have been an elite coach in college whatsoever.

OSU was stacked when UM got there.. why do you think he took the job when he could have stayed at ESPN???

Because he could step in with a pre-stocked roster and go directly back to winning after sanctions were over.

It is not even remotely close to comparable to taking over UT.

I can not even believe this needs to be stated...

We had the ball on our own 28 with 1:14 left in the half. That's not great field position. When we lost 4 yards on first down (to the 24) it was the right decision to run out the clock. Missouri was living in our backfield. Had Dobbs been sacked Missouri could have used their timeouts to get the ball back on our side of the 50. Every situation is different and in that particular case the risk/reward was just not in our favor. By your comments I seriously question your football IQ.

Talking to them about actual football is like talking to a third grader about calculus. I used to try and do it, but realized I was wasting my time. They will never comprehend what you are trying to say.

Looks like suckeyes going to win nc n 3rd yr of urban...

Just really shows you the difference of big time hires n taking chances.. thank god Michigan went big I can't take the suckeye fans n urban running his mouth.

A great coaching staff does make a difference.

This is not a debate on situations TN vs. OS. Its about what a great coach can do for a program.

:hi:

It just shows that Urban had the players to continue success at Buck U. As they say the rich get richer.

Butch didn't inherit anything here. He has worked his butt off and will continue to work to get this program back to where it should be.....:hi:

Urban is a great coach, but he has been lucky too. He walked into situations at UF and OSU where the talent was already there. Big difference from rebuilding from a dumpster fire IMO.

Or a mattress fire. Dumpster fires were in Columbus last night.

Personally, I could care less, which is why breaking bad is on my TV right now. I watched the 1st quarter, realized Oregon didn't show up to play, and turned it to AMC. The Orange and White game can't come here soon enough. I'm very glad I have to be up early with s@@@ loads to do that way I don't have to hear ESPN slobber on Urban's "knob" all day. It's bad enough I have to read it from some of you on this board..:finger3:

I hear ya. The in-laws are OSU fans. My brother in-law had box seats at Jerry's World last night. I'm gonna get tired of hearing about this sh*t real quick.

It also helps to take over a team that's loaded with talent, that also the previous coach didn't get fired because the team was bad on the field. Its not like Urban walked into a train wreck.

I give kudos to Meyer for bringing the next evolution of college FB. Have you forgotten about Tressel Mess???

Field position control strategy is called Tressel Ball. Hope we move away from that thinking and adopt similar approach to Meyer of figuring out how to beat the other team, instead of waiting for the yardage to swing our way.

Meyer figured out that if Oregon tried to get offensive play off in 16 seconds, how to defend that and get them thrown off. Then, after bad Virginia Tech loss, he figured out how to improve OL.

I'm hoping CBJ becomes more like Meyer and abandons the Tressel method.

OSU only played 12 seniors and, so far, has no one leaving early. The B1G may again be the Big 1 next year.

Yeah, when you see hires like what Michigan did and what Ohio State did and what Alabama did, it's hard not to wish your AD tried a bit harder.

This really ignores where the program was left when Butch was hired. Kiffin is a good recruiter/coach, but the whole USC fiasco and Dooley hire set us back even further. We were bereft of depth and fundamental talent after Dooley. Butch is doing a stellar job recruiting. OSU was a contending program under Tressel. Mix in Meyer building a SEC program in the painfully slow BIG and he will be in the final 4 slot annually without going through the SEC meat grinder.

VN Store

Back