The declined holding call...

ScreaminVolHawkins

*Sorry if some of the details are wrong, Ill check them when I have chance to rewatch the game.

IIRC, OK was on their 29 on first and 15, the qb breaks up field and TKJr makes the tackle out of bounds for a 1 yrd gain. A holding penalty was called, which CBJ declined. So we would be looking at either 2nd and 14 or 1st and 25ish. This drive was the most important drive in my opinion. This is where OK took the momentum which they maintained the rest of the game. And this isnt hindsight, I was questioning this real time when CBJ declined. Why?!

Reactions: 6 people
I was at the game on that end of field and was thinking the same thing right when it was declined. We weren't giving up big plays, so 25 yards and pressure of being closer to their own end zone seemed a far more difficult path.

Reactions: 1 person
Why did we kick a fg from the 1/2 yd line?
Why did Jumper remain in the game after in was obvious he should've been on the bench?
Why did we abandon the run game?
Why didn't Pig get more touches?
Why didn't we take any shots downfield?
Why did we sit on a 17 pt lead from the time we got the 17 pt lead?
Why is the sky blue?

Reactions: 7 people
I know it takes more than one decision or play to lose a lead like we had but that one made me scratch my head as well. The same decision was made earlier in the game and I could see that one because the defense was really playing well at that point. This instance we were losing momentum and a penalty would have pinned them deeper. I think a penalty would have taken some wind out of their sails. I think that's one Butch would like to have back.

That was the second holding penalty we declined. Stupid decision in my opinion. Every decision being made is conservative to the point of being detrimental to our winning ball games. Between DeBoring and Butch old school thinking rules the day.

Why did Jumper remain in the game after in was obvious he should've been on the bench?
Why is the sky blue?

1. Points over risking no points off a turn over, simple and not that questionable of a call. Our Oline sucks, remember?
2. Kirkland must be worse? No idea
3. WTF are you talking about?! We ran read all game even after OK was shutting it down. We had no aggressive play calling (i.e. vertical passing) after our TE drops a TD pass until OT.
4. He would of had one more if he didnt drop a wide open screen. Dunno though he is a hell of a player.
5. What? You just asked "Why did we abandon the run game?". Are you trolling or just blindly throwing punches?
6. See 3 and 5.
7. Its not blue, color is an illusion in your head. You are a trichromatic ape (sorry christians) and this is the dominant wavelength of light reflected by our atmosphere most of the time to which we can visualize.

Why is the sky blue?

Absolutely especially on Jumper good grief he was getting torched all night, I understand the field goal on the 1st drive if you come away from that drive with no points it would have been a mistake. As far as throwing the ball down the field, the line couldn't block long enough for that they are terrible.

Just getting the chance to see the game on tv this morning.....
4th gole on half yard line...
Drive to start 2nd half....
North again not involved....
Just now in the 3rd that's what I see so far!

Pretty sure they were on about the 16 - 17 at the time. Would have been approx 1 & 18-19. Or 2nd & 15. So no it was that big of a difference. It was a half the distance to goal penalty. Not every decision he made was wrong guys. Yeah we were out coached. By a hall of fame coach at that. It sucks. But before the year started next year was gonna be our year. One loss doesn't change that. We have a lot of improving to do. A lot. Haven't learn to finish and not let up. That's onn coaches and players. But we are getting better and better. Anyone who can't see that is blind. Still have a legit chance to win the east. We let one that nationally no one expected is to win get away. Learn from it and beat the crap out of the Gators in 2 weeks. Season is not over.

Well hold on tight because you're about to become some kind of redneck mad you ain't ever been before.

Pretty sure they were on about the 16 - 17 at the time. Would have been approx 1 & 18-19. Or 2nd & 15. So no it was that big of a difference. It was a half the distance to goal penalty. Not every decision he made was wrong guys. Yeah we were out coached. By a hall of fame coach at that. It sucks. But before the year started next year was gonna be our year. One loss doesn't change that. We have a lot of improving to do. A lot. Haven't learn to finish and not let up. That's onn coaches and players. But we are getting better and better. Anyone who can't see that is blind. Still have a legit chance to win the east. We let one that nationally no one expected is to win get away. Learn from it and beat the crap out of the Gators in 2 weeks. Season is not over.

First, if that is aimed at me, I never said every decision he made was bad. Second, I remember looking at the LOS and thinking it wouldnt be half the distance, that is why I was so confused. Someone check if they can, Ill look later if nobody has confirmed. Anyway, westtn, would you agree it is a poor call if it was 1st and 25 vs 2nd and 14?

Stop watching now while we're still ahead. Your wife and kids will thank you.

Sorry, this one is easy.

OU is a big play offense. That's their design. They don't grind out 4 yards/play. They try to make good on 1 out of 3 plays for +10 yards.

Add to that they're down by 14 at that point (in the 4th quarter, IIRC) so they're that much less likely to play it conservatively with regard to field position.

Finally, what's been the glaring weakness of our defense? Giving up big plays in the secondary.

The only logical strategy given those circumstance is to limit OU's opportunities. You guys know this--you've seen it from every NFL team that's faced Peyton for the past 15 years. He can't beat you from the bench.

Speaking of QBs, I've never seen a quarterback under that much relentless pressure be so darn accurate with his passes, even on the run, as Mayfield was yesterday. Usually guys scramble until someone gets loose behind the secondary, then they heave it for a big gain. But Mayfield was throwing dimes into tight coverage while on the dead run. Remarkable exhibition.

*Sorry if some of the details are wrong, Ill check them when I have chance to rewatch the game.

IIRC, OK was on their 29 on first and 15, the qb breaks up field and TKJr makes the tackle out of bounds for a 1 yrd gain. A holding penalty was called, which CBJ declined. So we would be looking at either 2nd and 14 or 1st and 25ish. This drive was the most important drive in my opinion. This is where OK took the momentum which they maintained the rest of the game. And this isnt hindsight, I was questioning this real time when CBJ declined. Why?!
I was wondering the same thing when it happened.

1. Points over risking no points off a turn over, simple and not that questionable of a call. Our Oline sucks, remember?
2. Kirkland must be worse? No idea
3. WTF are you talking about?! We ran read all game even after OK was shutting it down. We had no aggressive play calling (i.e. vertical passing) after our TE drops a TD pass until OT.
4. He would of had one more if he didnt drop a wide open screen. Dunno though he is a hell of a player.
5. What? You just asked "Why did we abandon the run game?". Are you trolling or just blindly throwing punches?
6. See 3 and 5.
7. Its not blue, color is an illusion in your head. You are a trichromatic ape (sorry christians) and this is the dominant wavelength of light reflected by our atmosphere most of the time to which we can visualize.

1. Regardless of Oline, Hurd could've gotten 1/2 yd.
2. No way Kirkland is worse
3. I meant the runs that were working (outside sweeps, etc)
4. He was explosive. Should've fed him the rock more.
5. Never tried any downfield shots to keep the D honest so we COULD run more.
6. See 3 and 5
7. Was a rhetorical question

--On the first drive, I am more confused why the Vols took out the 240 lb TB and put in the 200 pounder to run up the middle with no lead blocker on 3rd and 1.
--Colton Jumper is too slow to play LB in the SEC and whoever came up with the defensive set where he covers a slot receiver in man to man coverage should be shot.
--Pig Howard has to touch the ball more. If he can't get open, run him on some sweeps
--I'm thinking North doesn't get more touches because maybe he's just not that good.
--Vols have to develop a downfield passing game or they will not be able to run the ball against any average SEC defenses, thus the offense will struggle.
--Medley cannot be counted on at this point in the season.
--O-line still overmatched by a D1 defensive line
--Vols do not have a home run threat on offense.
--Offensive pace is a bad idea when going 3 and out so quickly like Vols did in 4th Q. Defense was worn out and unable to stop anyone.
--Vols fought hard and actually kept this game closer than I thought they would. Still a 7 win team.
--Butch and staff have still not shown they are great in-game coaches. Just now beginning to play close games vs good teams. Badly outcoached last night.
--Oh. I wholeheartedly agree on what you said about declining the holding call. Who thinks 2nd and 12 is better than 1st and 25 for a defense?

Just watch fumble after the interception... Starting 4 quarter.... Sick feeling knowing what's next!

--Offensive pace is a bad idea when going 3 and out so quickly like Vols did in 4th Q. Defense was worn out and unable to stop anyone.

I said at the time that we should get to the line and let the clock run on some of those possessions. Momentum had slipped and the clock was our friend. Plus, if we didn't convert, at least the D would get a breather.

First, if that is aimed at me, I never said every decision he made was bad. Second, I remember looking at the LOS and thinking it wouldnt be half the distance, that is why I was so confused. Someone check if they can, Ill look later if nobody has confirmed. Anyway, westtn, would you agree it is a poor call if it was 1st and 25 vs 2nd and 14?

I would agree that he should accept the penalty in that situation. If that was the case my apologies. Just seems like I remember it was going to be a half the distance penalty. Nothing directed at you alone. Sorry if it seemed that way. My point was just that there is a ton of bashing going on right now. We lost last night. Made mistakes and let one get away. Sucks. But acting like our program is not miles ahead of where it was when butch got here is blind. You don't go from being blown out by vandy to winning national titles in 3 years. We are getting there. If at the end of the year we have limped to a 7-5 record. We will definitely have some concerns to look at.

The damn pass wasn't even thrown in bounds.... That's as bad as the Florida catch for a td years back... Then they missed the false start next play... Big 12 in way over their heads!

VN Store

Back