The center position

Lol... the 1 thru 5 thing is a way for basketball people to explain basketball to non-basketball people. In basketball it doesn’t really exist.

But in the context of the convo... Kyle is the 5 spot for us any time he is on the court.

"Doesn't really exist" is not accurate. The 5 position is usually the only murky one because, as BTO said, basketball in general has somewhat moved away from the traditional center role. Otherwise, the vast majority of bball teams, college and NBA, have players fulfilling the traditional roles of PG, SG, SF, and PF, i.e. Daniel, Bowden, Scho, and Gdubs

Now the real question is "Is Kyle more of a PF or a C?" I think one could make solid arguments for both. Any way you cut it, most people would put him in the 5 slot since he's the tallest post on the floor at any point, but that doesn't mean that he's playing or has to play like a traditional C.

I would love to read opinions on this. What kind of 5 would make this team better??

Only 2 choices:

1) Kyle Alexander with an added skill of being able to make the 3 from the top of the key.

2) kyler Alexander with the added skill of being a better low post scorer.

I will take 1) because anything that opens up the lane for Grant Williams would help.

Now the real question is "Is Kyle more of a PF or a C?" I think one could make solid arguments for both. Any way you cut it, most people would put him in the 5 slot since he's the tallest post on the floor at any point, but that doesn't mean that he's playing or has to play like a traditional C.

I would argue there is no traditional 5 spot on offense for Rick Barnes. The 4-5 are interchangeable on O. Now on D there is.

I would love to read opinions on this. What kind of 5 would make this team better??

Only 2 choices:

1) Kyle Alexander with an added skill of being able to make the 3 from the top of the key.

2) kyler Alexander with the added skill of being a better low post scorer.

I will take 1) because anything that opens up the lane for Grant Williams would help.

#Vols looking for more good minutes from Kyle Alexander

“Sometimes it has nothing to do with us, other than the matchups that are out there. And a lot of it has to do with how he’s playing.”

Story: 247sports.com/college/tennes… via @GoVols247

This is all semantics....why get so flustered about being a 5? Everything has changed and with the shot clock etc the classic 5 is a rare breed indeed. Still 7’ ers around but they rarely play like the OLD 5 position did in the past. Just a different game.

18 pts out of the 5 position tonight against the best team of bigs we play all year.
Who would have thunk it???

Kyle started and finished the game with back to the basket hoops and even showed a mean streak late! Love it!

Consistency KYLE Consistency!!!

Kyle is not just our center. If he can keep his feet on the floor defensively, not rush and trust his shot on offense Him and Bone are the key to us being really scary in March.

Kyle is not just our center. If he’d stay on the floor defensively, not rush and trust his shot on offense Him and Bone are the key to us being really scary in March.

Yes if he can be consistent and stay on the court we are much much better. A solid rim protector he is

VN Store

Back