The Butch Story as Yet Untold

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
I had a dog named Butch. He was a German Shepherd that served in the Korean war. My uncle served too so when the dog reached the end of his service life, the nearby base gave him to my uncle. For whatever reason, the dog and I formed an attachment. He was nice but it wasn’t a good idea for my mom to discipline me when he was around. I got away with things I shouldn’t have due to his furious loyalty.

Let me talk about another Butch, and his Wild bunch gang.

This Butch and Sundance Wild Bunch gang has seen success as a TEAM for quite a while. Cincinnati was a good gig but not really big time and not housed in a big time conference. They knew Tennessee was at it its lowest ebb since the very old days when Vanderbilt beat the Vols regularly prior to 1928. This gang doesn’t lack confidence and that’s why it stays together. They really are a TEAM. They saw a chance to come into THE conference and turn a badly ailing program around. They don’t lack any faith that they can actually do that. And they know that when, not if, but when they do, Tennessee will have to pay them major salary increases and bonuses to keep them from going after bigger salary offers elsewhere. They also know Tennessee will do exactly that if for no other reason than pride and a huge relief of being a winning program again.

One other thing, we won’t see Butch getting Fulmeritis. Like my old German Shepherd, he’s nice but has that warrior spirit just below the surface. His TEAM is loyal to each other so they will stick together and Butch won’t take slackness if it appears.

Butch is out to establish a legacy and prove he wasn’t and isn’t eating leftovers off the plate of Brian Kelly. He literally couldn’t have hoped for a better chance to prove this than at a program like the University of Tennessee. The only concern we need to have is that he will actually win one or more national championships with the Vols and bolt for the NFL. Part of me has a sneaking suspicion that his ultimate aim is just that. I’m hoping he shares my old dog’s loyalty and means it about staying 30 years. But for now, I believe this staff is a bunch of Son-of-Butches that are going to rock the SEC’s boat. Whether Saban becomes a man overboard or not remains to be seen. But he won’t be unchallenged for big time recruits for long. He’ll be facing a team that has been together for a while and will stay together, and coordinate efforts. And like Fulmer, he’s a players coach who relates to players and their families on a GENUINE as opposed to faked level.

As a footnote, I offer a speculation regarding Tennessee high school players. I believe the Butch - Sundance gang will not just fence in our in-state talent but increase it. Actively relating to coaches and schools will lead to those schools more seriously investing in their football programs and producing better talent. If the Sons-of-Butches are smart, they will make and arrange for donations to schools for equipment and tutorial services. Thus endear school administrators and coaches to the UT. That talent will be funneled to THEIR university instead of elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 people
I had a dog named Butch. He was a German Shepherd that served in the Korean war. My uncle served too so when the dog reached the end of his service life, the nearby base gave him to my uncle. For whatever reason, the dog and I formed an attachment. He was nice but it wasn’t a good idea for my mom to discipline me when he was around. I got away with things I shouldn’t have due to his furious loyalty.

This Butch and Sundance Wild Bunch gang has seen success as a TEAM for quite a while. Cincinnati was a good gig but not really big time and not housed in a big time conference. They knew Tennessee was at it its lowest ebb since the very old days when Vanderbilt beat the Vols regularly prior to 1928. This gang doesn’t lack confidence and that’s why it stays together. They really are a TEAM. They saw a chance to come into THE conference and turn a badly ailing program around. They don’t lack any faith that they can actually do that. And they know that when, not if, but when they do, Tennessee will have to pay them major salary increases and bonuses to keep them from going after bigger salary offers elsewhere. They also know Tennessee will do exactly that if for no other reason than pride and a huge relief of being a winning program again.

One other thing, we won’t see Butch getting Fulmeritis. Like my old German Shepherd, he’s nice but has that warrior spirit just below the surface. His TEAM is loyal to each other so they will stick together and Butch won’t take slackness if it appears.

Butch is out to establish a legacy and prove he wasn’t and isn’t eating leftovers off the plate of Brian Kelly. He literally couldn’t have hoped for a better chance to prove this than at a program like the University of Tennessee. The only concern we need to have is that he will actually win one or more national championships with the Vols and bolt for the NFL. Part of me has a sneaking suspicion that his ultimate aim is just that. I’m hoping he shares my old dog’s loyalty and means it about staying 30 years. But for now, I believe this staff is a bunch of Son-of-Butches that are going to rock the SEC’s boat. Whether Saban becomes a man overboard or not remains to be seen. But he won’t be unchallenged for big time recruits for long. He’ll be facing a team that has been together for a while and will stay together, and coordinate efforts. And like Fulmer, he’s a players coach who relates to players and their families on a GENUINE as opposed to faked level.

As a footnote, I offer a speculation regarding Tennessee high school players. I believe the Butch - Sundance gang will not just fence in our in-state talent but increase it. Actively relating to coaches and schools will lead to those schools more seriously investing in their football programs and producing better talent. If the Sons-of-Butches are smart, they will make and arrange for donations to schools for equipment and tutorial services. Thus endear school administrators and coaches to the UT. That talent will be funneled to THEIR university instead of elsewhere.

"Just say no"

Reactions: 2 people
Attached Thumbnails

FYI..... Butch on the right. Sundance on the left. The rest are the Hole in the Wall Gang.

fulmer, did not seem that genuine to me until i shook his hand and told him thanks for what he has done for tennessee. just like i did johnny majors.

At 152, 52 and NC, he should be so lucky.

Woodsman, did you compose this thread by a campfire?

More or less. I mean it though. I think I got this guy figured out. I also think the UT is luckier than we realize as of today but it's going to become evident pretty quickly. It may be sacrilegious to say so but I think we fell azz backwards into a sort of General Neyland type coach who happens to be dead set on making recruiting all but a shooting war. I do think he's pretty much following the Sabanesque method of making in-state high schools partners in sending top talent to the home university. Our past coaches have been very negligent in this area. Lately it has been costing us as what little high caliber talent we generate heads elsewhere. Cobb, Hightower, and more recently, Bell comes to mind.

Last edited:
Dude is going to be 3 n 2 going into the GA game at home.... that will be his first true test.. if he gets blown out SC come to town fans will still come lose that game n the stadium will be empty the rest of the season..

He will have never been in that situation in his career how he responds or keeps the team focused will say tons about his future at tenn.

dogcoach1.PNG

Be A DOG!

VN Store

Back