The Atlanta Braves (thread 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OBP is important, but IMO it's importance has been a little overrated by the Moneyballers.

One of the reasons the Braves have underachieved all these years is because they think OBP is overrated too. They don't teach plate discipline in the minors; they hire an endless parade of hitting instructors who preach this "be aggressive" crap. "Staying aggressive" is just another way of saying "swinging at bad pitches."

It's not a coincidence that the Red Sox have won two World Series since they hired Bill James, the guy who's basically responsible for all this stathead stuff.

It's not a coincidence that the Red Sox have won two World Series since they hired Bill James, the guy who's basically responsible for all this stathead stuff.

I saw Terry Francona on 60 Minutes Sunday night talking about that. You could tell that he thought James' input was invaluable but that he also thought about half of it was complete BS.

I saw Terry Francona on 60 Minutes Sunday night talking about that. You could tell that he thought James' input was invaluable but that he also thought about half of it was complete BS.

If that's what Francona thinks, then he should really take a careful look at how the first half of his managerial career went in Philadelphia before he had any of that BS helping him out.

If that's what Francona thinks, then he should really take a careful look at how the first half of his managerial career went in Philadelphia before he had any of that BS helping him out.

It's amazing how helpful Sabremetrics is when you've got the 2nd highest payroll in baseball. :crazy:

His main bone of contention was when they started talking about there being no such thing as a clutch hitter.

One of the reasons the Braves have underachieved all these years is because they think OBP is overrated too. They don't teach plate discipline in the minors; they hire an endless parade of hitting instructors who preach this "be aggressive" crap. "Staying aggressive" is just another way of saying "swinging at bad pitches."

My biggest complaint of the Braves offense the past few years has been the over-aggressiveness of the hitters. Guys go up swinging for the fences instead of "going with the pitch" and trying to hit it the opposite way. A pitcher will throw 4 straight balls but the next guy will come up trying to hit it out of the park on the first pitch.

It's amazing how helpful Sabremetrics is when you've got the 2nd highest payroll in baseball. :crazy:

His main bone of contention was when they started talking about there being no such thing as a clutch hitter.

I read Moneyball, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but think teams overdo it a little with trying to build their entire rosters around it. The smaller-payroll teams, like Oakland and Billy Beane who the book is based on, can succeed doing that, but the big-spenders are going to go get the best players and win with them.

I read Moneyball, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but think teams overdo it a little with trying to build their entire rosters around it. The smaller-payroll teams, like Oakland and Billy Beane who the book is based on, can succeed doing that, but the big-spenders are going to go get the best players and win with them.
My sentiments exactly. It's interesting to delve into the numbers and there's no doubt that there is some validity to it, but I've never understood the way some people are married to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back