The Association Football Thread

I see how excited people are about this upset over Canada. (I'm also very excited and happy) We'll probably have at least a couple chances to pull off bigger upsets (at least in my opinion) in this upcoming World Cup. I can't wait.

I see how excited people are about this upset over Canada. (I'm also very excited and happy) We'll probably have at least a couple chances to pull off bigger upsets (at least in my opinion) in this upcoming World Cup. I can't wait.

The US team, when they've got it going, can beat most any team in the world.

They have the potential to pull the upset, but to beat a great team, they have to hope their opponent isn't at their best. As far as actual talent level, the United States is simply behind all the realistic contenders.

The upset of Spain was pretty huge, but there is a big difference between the World Cup and Confederations Cup. Hopefully we can do something like that.

Well, they did kind of beat Spain, the best team in the world. IIRC they shut them out, too. Pretty hard to do, even when Iniesta wasn't playing.

We can both agree that was more of an example of Spain choking on the international stage like usual. They manhandled us the entire game and we got two crap goals.

You can't honestly watch that game yesterday and say that we can beat anyone of significance in South Africa. We are just not a very good team. We will probably advance out of group play because our group is terrible but we have zero chance of beating England.

What the hell? Was it not shown?
I believe it was on ESPN2. There were a bunch of international friendlies yesterday.

We can both agree that was more of an example of Spain choking on the international stage like usual. They manhandled us the entire game and we got two crap goals. You can't honestly watch that game yesterday and say that we can beat anyone of significance in South Africa.
Both the Dutch goals were crap. They may have dominated the game, but both goals were utter trash. Trash goals are goals.

We are just not a very good team. We will probably advance out of group play because our group is terrible but we have zero chance of beating England.
I wouldn't go that far. England has been worse than Spain. I know they have Capello now and they are looking better, but they aren't great. If they are starting guys like Peter Crouch, our chances can't be all that bad.

I did watch the game. The US undoubtedly looked far better towards the end of the game when thy were actually trying to score. They simply have to start out aggressive in the upcoming tournament. We don't have the offensive personnel to score when we aren't attacking. We do however, when healthy, have the defense and goalie to be effective on that side of the ball. We can afford to be a little more aggressive. Playing conservatively works for Italy. We simply don't have the skill for that. If we come out attacking, there is no reason we can't be competitive against most teams in South Africa.

Last edited:
We simply can not play Bornstein. He should have single handedly caused two penalties yesterday.

Depends. I'm not really sure what he is looking at in terms of recovery. Certainly needs to start getting healthy soon, even though I doubt he plays for Milan once he is. Holden is out for six weeks, Dempsey is still hurt. Seriously doubt Davies is in form for South Africa.

If they are starting guys like Peter Crouch, our chances can't be all that bad.

I have an irrational hatred of Peter Crouch - maybe its because Villa wasted £5mil on him when we were broke, maybe its because he has a girlfriend way to hot for him - but for England he just scores...i doubt he starts but when Crouch comes for England he becomes a goal machine. 20 in 38 at international level is frankly amazing.

He won't when he has meaningful competition. He's so tall he can be dangerous with incoming crosses, but I'm wouldn't expect much from him when you're playing some of the better teams and need goals.

Lol at Real Madrid. Spent all the money and you get ousted by the team that you bought one of your players from. A player that has done absolutely nothing for you the entire season. Add the fact that the Champions League final is in Madrid. I don't expect my Catalans to match the European success of last year but we should take care of Stuttgart next week.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

He won't when he has meaningful competition. He's so tall he can be dangerous with incoming crosses, but I'm wouldn't expect much from him when you're playing some of the better teams and need goals.

He's 6'6 but can't head particularly well, his footwork for such a big man is very impressive..he wont be a starter but as a sub after 60 minutes if we need a goal he (along with Defoe as apparently he is never allowed to start for England alongside Rooney) is a viable option.

Hey guys...

Manchester_United_logo.png

You scared?

If the other team is sucking... The US team doesn't have the horses to go toe to toe with the big teams. We might steal one, but we aren't going to make a serious run after group play.

If the other team is sucking... The US team doesn't have the horses to go toe to toe with the big teams. We might steal one, but we aren't going to make a serious run after group play.
If the US beats the teams they're supposed to beat, then two upsets gets us into the semifinals... I doubt that it will happen, but it wouldn't be the most surprising thing I've seen.

Scenario 1: Upset England and win the group. Reaching the semifinals would likely consist of beating Australia and a good but overrated French team.

Scenario 2: Finish second in the group. Reaching the semifinals would take upsets of Germany and an Argentina team coached by a cocaine addict.

So two upsets, assuming we take care of business against teams we should beat. It's not impossible.

That being said, I still expect little more than a 2nd round exit.

VN Store

Back