THE “OTHER” LEAGUES…..

EverythingOrange

Modern era Football Leagues…It’s hard to Believe that the NFL began in 1920!

There have been SO many other PRO & SEMI-PRO teams since then that you can hardly even Count!

But, how did the “other” leagues turn out! (Only the Major Ones)

- American Football League: 1960–1970 -quality competition- Merged with the NFL in 1970!

- World Football League: 1974/75; 1991/92; 1995-2007; 2008-2010. - Gone.

- United Football League: 2009-2012. - Gone.

- Stars Football League: 2011-2013. - Gone.

- The Spring League: 2017-2021. - Gone.

- Alliance of American Football: 2019 - Gone.

- XFL: 2001/ 2020-2024…….
-
United States Football League: 1983-1985 / 2022-2024….

The reason that these “OTHER” Leagues will never MAKE IT is because their games are rarely entertaining… There are NEVER any “fans” in the stadiums…(Their QB’s basically get KILLED every game - because the O-Lines SUCK)! — And If ANY player in their league was GOOD enough- they would Flip to the NFL “IN A SECOND” - if given the opportunity!!!!!

And there is No interest & No $$ MONEY in it!!!!!!

Quite a few players flipped from the NFL to the USFL in the 1980's.
At least a handful of players flipped from the NFL to the 1970's WFL.
The others were not intended to be competitors to the NFL.

It's not clear that the NFL has a lower injury rate.

Forgot one: All American Football Conference from 1946-1949. Brought Cleveland, San Francisco, and Baltimore to the NFL. It was quickly proven that Cleveland was the best team across both the AAFC and the NFL.

Actually the UFL maybe watchable this upcoming season.

I hope they get enough ratings and crowds at the games to keep going into the future years.

Reactions: peaygolf
Any time Memphis has a team.................I'm a fan.
They should have gotten an expansion team in 1976...............or the Colts should have moved there instead of Indy.

Reactions: knoxvol52
There was also NFL Europe. I watched it a lot in the Spring/Summer in the 90s.

I would say with all the international games that might work again, but I don't know how they'd support minor league teams. I think London would probalby support an actual NFL team but how that would work is beyond me. There woudl have to be a legit European division I would think but that's too many teams to add.

Some Big names signed with those other leagues.
Reggie White, Hershel Walker, Jim Kelly, Doug Flutie, Mike Rosier, Larry Csonka, Jim Kick , Paul Warfield, Steve Young, Marcus Dupree, Doug Williams , and others.

Reactions: knoxvol52

VN Store

Back