Texas vs Texas Tech

It's not just a matter of not being in the top five though. They have gotten worse from year one to year two. Probably two games worse if Baylor does what they are expected to next week.

And with only one recruiting class under his belt. Rome wasn't built in a day just like our own program. (I'm on the fence with CBJ for the record)

The problem lies with Texas fans being extremely impatient and having a "want it right ****ing now!" mentality. Yeah, they've gotten worse, but there's nowhere to go but up.

And adding that Texas no longer pulls in the top recruits in the State by using their name alone. TAM, Baylor, TCU, Tech and even Houston is challenging for the talent. Along with various other teams in the Big 12 and SEC liberally collecting talent.

He should get another year. But knowing the impatience of Texas fans, they'll be calling for his head regardless.

Honestly, they have to give him time to fix the system. Brown left it in the shambles and it's going to take a while to clean out the rot. Strong very well could be the answer, but he'll never get the chance because Texas is one of those places that if you aren't in the Top 5 by year 2, they are calling for your head.

Brown was pulling in top classes til the end...Strong hasn't matched them. You're making it sound like our situation with Dooley...complete opposite.

Brown was pulling in top classes til the end...Strong hasn't matched them. You're making it sound like our situation with Dooley...complete opposite.

Actually more like our situation with Fulmer. Successful coach that won a championship and declined towards the end.

However, I'd stop short of comparing Strong to Kiffin or Dooley.

And with only one recruiting class under his belt. Rome wasn't built in a day just like our own program. (I'm on the fence with CBJ for the record)

The problem lies with Texas fans being extremely impatient and having a "want it right ****ing now!" mentality. Yeah, they've gotten worse, but there's nowhere to go but up.

And adding that Texas no longer pulls in the top recruits in the State by using their name alone. TAM, Baylor, TCU, Tech and even Houston is challenging for the talent. Along with various other teams in the Big 12 and SEC liberally collecting talent.

He should get another year. But knowing the impatience of Texas fans, they'll be calling for his head regardless.

Agree to disagree I guess. I'm aware it takes time to build a program. I don't think anyone expected Texas to compete for national championships or even Big 12 championships the first couple years. My point is that Texas has not improved since he arrived. They were 6-7 last year. They will likely finish 4-8 this year, and I don't see anything that suggests that Strong is close to turning it around.

Actually more like our situation with Fulmer. Successful coach that won a championship and declined towards the end.

However, I'd stop short of comparing Strong to Kiffin or Dooley.

The comparison you made is applicable to Brown...since Strong took over FROM him.

Brain fart..for some reason I was thinking Butch and Charlie started the same year. It still baffles me that Strong has not put a better defense on the field.

Macks last classes were grossly overrated. Texas recruiting had become a self fulfilling prophecy, where anyone Mack recruited would get a bump, talent or no... And since Mack started offering HS sophomores by 2010... There was a lot of entitled and overrated guys getting scholarships (notice no Texas players drafted in 2014).

Texas had a crap roster pretty similar to what Butch inherited, believe it or not. The star players on this years team are primarily freshmen.

Macks last classes were grossly overrated. Texas recruiting had become a self fulfilling prophecy, where anyone Mack recruited would get a bump, talent or no... And since Mack started offering HS sophomores by 2010... There was a lot of entitled and overrated guys getting scholarships (notice no Texas players drafted in 2014).

Texas had a crap roster pretty similar to what Butch inherited, believe it or not. The star players on this years team are primarily freshmen.

Overrated 5 stars laden classes are collectively better than overrated 3 star laden Dooley classes. There was more talent...Strong just bungled it. Butch inherited a athletically slow and poorly conditioned team...just how it is.

Overrated 5 stars laden classes are collectively better than overrated 3 star laden Dooley classes. There was more talent...Strong just bungled it. Butch inherited a athletically slow and poorly conditioned team...just how it is.

I'm no Butch apologist but I'll agree with this. If you don't think Strong inherited talent you're insane; he just kicked it all off the team.

Reactions: 1 person

Strong had more marginally more talent than Dooley but it was still a hot mess. Overrated, entitled and soft players. That's why the Texas admin is giving him another year, they understand the landscape.

I'm no Butch apologist but I'll agree with this. If you don't think Strong inherited talent you're insane; he just kicked it all off the team.

The NFL agrees there was no senior talent, no Longhorns drafted after Macks final year, first time in 60+ years.

VN Store

Back