Tennessee vs South Carolina Official game thread (6:30 SECN)

Free throw % this year
Knecht 78.1%
Edey 73.8%
Right. What’s your point? I’m talking about making up ground to Edey when the media has crowned him already but Knecht is better. I was specifically talking about these last two games, and going 9-17 from the free throw line. I’m really concerned about the lack of reading comprehension on this board. They will use that against him If it doesn’t get better than it has been these last two games.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
a guy has one off night at the line & you call him trash...yeah, I got you
Some of you people really struggle with reading comprehension. Making stuff up. I said you can’t win player of the year and be trash from the line , and 9-17 the last two games for an almost 80 percent free throw shooter is bad. I was speaking in terms of winning an award. I’m saying you can’t be trash from the line and win that award and 9-17 for a player like him is trash. He agrees with that. He even said so. Try reading with context and maybe slow it down. Never said he was trash. Shooting 9-17 is trash free throw shooting, and it’s one aspect of the game, and if it continues it will hurt him catch media darling Edey for POTY. I literally said Knecht was incredible before mentioning the two game free throw shooting slump.

Last edited:
Estrella isn’t the answer (this year). The low post defense has cost UT in every loss. TN needs a lucky draw in the NCAAT or else have several shooters hitting 3s when facing the goon and fat ass centers.

The rotation is determined primarily by how players performed in practice and not a few minutes of game time.
He still needs to play and get as much experience as possible and still win games.

Although Tenn‘s 1st half was a repeat of what we have seen before, this game was determined by the officials. They called the game so as to mentally frustrate Tenn and throw them off their game and never allow any continuity
In the 1st half Tenn shot 0 FTs and SC only attempted 6 FTs. They let the game be played. Starting the 2nd half they called back to back to back very ticky fouls. In addition they allowed Mack to use his strength to push the defenders out of the way backing to the basket. He either scored or was fouled. You cannot defend a strong post player if he is allowed to just move you with strength. This definitely defeats a team mentally. If every game were called this way, Plavsic could have been all conference
Purposely or not, officiating determined the outcome

I will always respect JJJ and think his contributions to UT basketball far outweigh the likes of Kennedy Chandler, Julian Phillips, etc.....types but it appears the most obvious question with him is that he never really has improved that much offensively despite starting most of his career from day 1 as you note. His injuries have held him back at times, but other than some stretches where he found his shooting touch from three or a mid-range game, the peaks and valleys over his career has been perplexing and one of the most discussed issues on this board. His peaks and valleys this year have been even more pronounced.

For other highly rated players out of high school like Scotty Hopson and Robert Hubbs, their careers had a nice progression and growth each year. JJJ is an excellent defender and certainly more to the game than just stats, but stats aren't irrelevant either and currently he is basically playing at his Soph year level for the year but some of his worst offensive stats ever since SEC play started. I hope he figures it out over this 2nd half of the season as it is kinda sad to watch him on that end of the court lately. Within conference play, 28.6 min/game, 3 pts/game, 23.7% FG, 5.6% from 3-FG, only 4 FTs in 7 SEC games and hitting 50% of them.......ugh. Coaches need to help him figure that out.
He's been here long enough to get a gold watch when he leaves. If he were going to "figure it out", he'd have done it by now. It's more reasonable to assume that, at this point, he is what he is.

Reactions: Ft. Loudon Vol
He's been here long enough to get a gold watch when he leaves. If he were going to "figure it out", he'd have done it by now. It's more reasonable to assume that, at this point, he is what he is.

Knecht is the new piece that’s still being figured out. The first 4 years were one approach to offense. This year, although DK is productive, is a total disruption to what’s been going on. It’s why I still feel pretty good about this year. The team can get better and be hitting on all cylinders by tournament time.

I think that Knecht has gotten better at including his teammates as the season has progressed. The “supporting cast” still has to figure it out to a degree. Especially SV and JJJ.

JJJ is a complete enigma. He's reported to be 6'7, he can handle the ball--not a great handle, but good enough; he's got a beautiful jump
shot and an NBA body. Plus lots of experience. How does a guy like that go games when he only taking 2/3 shots and scoring 2 or 4/5 points? If I'm Barnes I'm kicking his butt. Something is off with the guy--and, yea, something has always been off, as he's just too passive offensively. He rebounds and he plays defense, but the guy just doesn't have an offensive/scoring mentality. When he's only taking 3/4 shots and scoring 2/4 points, he's hurting us.

Knecht is the new piece that’s still being figured out. The first 4 years were one approach to offense. This year, although DK is productive, is a total disruption to what’s been going on. It’s why I still feel pretty good about this year. The team can get better and be hitting on all cylinders by tournament time.

I think that Knecht has gotten better at including his teammates as the season has progressed. The “supporting cast” still has to figure it out to a degree. Especially SV and JJJ.

You are right: It has been an adjustment, and it's understandable. But the simple answer is if the shot is there--if a shot you're comfortable with is there--take the shot. Don't not take your shot because you think we need to get the ball to Knecht again. Shoot the ball and be assertive. Getting offensive contributions from everybody is the mark of a good team. If anybody thinks we're going to go far in the NCAA with DK scoring 32 and one other guy in double figures---well, I, for one wouldn't bet on it. We at least need Vescovi, Ziggy and JJJ giving us 6/8/10 points a game. Not one of them: all of them. We would have gotten away with it last night had Aidoo played like he's played the last several games. But he had a bad game. Pretty much everybody was bad offensively but DK and, to a degree, Vescovi.

You are right: It has been an adjustment, and it's understandable. But the simple answer is if the shot is there--if a shot you're comfortable with is there--take the shot. Don't not take your shot because you think we need to get the ball to Knecht again. Shoot the ball and be assertive. Getting offensive contributions from everybody is the mark of a good team. If anybody thinks we're going to go far in the NCAA with DK scoring 32 and one other guy in double figures---well, I, for one wouldn't bet on it. We at least need Vescovi, Ziggy and JJJ giving us 6/8/10 points a game. Not one of them: all of them. We would have gotten away with it last night had Aidoo played like he's played the last several games. But he had a bad game. Pretty much everybody was bad offensively but DK and, to a degree, Vescovi.

We started to turn the corner on all of that. Vescovi started making shots. Gainey appeared to be back. Aidoo was turning into a great complementary piece to DK’s offense. Then last night it all fell apart. But it’s just one game. I think that if Aidoo gets back on track and SV/Gainey start knocking down 3s then it won’t even matter that JJJ isn’t scoring. ZZ either. Get reliable offensive production from those 3 spots (DK, Aidoo, SV/JG) and the top 5/10 ranking is warranted.

We started to turn the corner on all of that. Vescovi started making shots. Gainey appeared to be back. Aidoo was turning into a great complementary piece to DK’s offense. Then last night it all fell apart. But it’s just one game. I think that if Aidoo gets back on track and SV/Gainey start knocking down 3s then it won’t even matter that JJJ isn’t scoring. ZZ either. Get reliable offensive production from those 3 spots (DK, Aidoo, SV/JG) and the top 5/10 ranking is warranted.
JJJ is a mystery. Personally, I like that he doesn’t force shots. Last night he only shot when he was wide open. You can always count on him to play defense and rebound. He almost always is our leading rebounder. Everyone wants to play with a guy who is only interested in defense and rebounding. Everyone wants to shoot. Now I’m like everyone else and think it’s absurd to get an offensive rebound next to the rim with no one there and pass it to Aidoo who got fouled and missed both (Vandy game). I’m sure he got his butt chewed for that. Anybody remember Dennis Rodman? Defended the best player on the other team and got rebounds. I saw a stat that he had a game where he scored zero points and had 49 rebounds. I think it’s great we have multiple guys who are capable of putting up 20 (besides DK). I like to think it’s an anomaly for all of them to be off on the same night. I think it’s also good for us, long term, to have a game that comes down to the end like that, because it’s gonna happen again.

JJJ is a mystery. Personally, I like that he doesn’t force shots. Last night he only shot when he was wide open. You can always count on him to play defense and rebound. He almost always is our leading rebounder. Everyone wants to play with a guy who is only interested in defense and rebounding. Everyone wants to shoot. Now I’m like everyone else and think it’s absurd to get an offensive rebound next to the rim with no one there and pass it to Aidoo who got fouled and missed both (Vandy game). I’m sure he got his butt chewed for that. Anybody remember Dennis Rodman? Defended the best player on the other team and got rebounds. I saw a stat that he had a game where he scored zero points and had 49 rebounds. I think it’s great we have multiple guys who are capable of putting up 20 (besides DK). I like to think it’s an anomaly for all of them to be off on the same night. I think it’s also good for us, long term, to have a game that comes down to the end like that, because it’s gonna happen again.
He never had 49 rebounds in a nba game.

I didn't say it never does. But go ahead and put words in my mouth. I said it affects the outcome less than people think. It did not have an outcome on the result tonight. We played at home, where we normally outhustle, and beat up on people. Make shots, set the tone, etc. We didn't do any of that tonight.
I will grant that your proposition, that fouls ...
affects the outcome less than people think
... might be true some of the time!
If your assertation were true, then coaches would have no reason to even talk to the referees at all. Because they are not affecting the outcome of the game.
However, the main reason coaches call them over and talk to them and argue with them is BECAUSE they do affect the game!
We did not lose the game because of the refs calls, but they sure did not make it easy.
The players lost the game, just so we are clear on what I actually think.

If your assertation were true, then coaches would have no reason to even talk to the referees at all. Because they are not affecting the outcome of the game.
However, the main reason coaches call them over and talk to them and argue with them is BECAUSE they do affect the game!
We did not lose the game because of the refs calls, but they sure did not make it easy.

I like the story about Barnes after he got hosed by a bad call. So he quietly calls the ref over and politely tells him that he owes him a makeup call for the bad one.

It can absolutely affect the game and how it's played. Never said it didn't. It can affect the outcome too, like who wins the game, but I don't think that happens very often. Unless we play as bad as we did last night (in which case it won't matter) it will have a great impact Saturday night and possibly impact how the game goes because of who and where we are playing.

But last night was on us. I was ticked during the the little session where we got 5 fouls called on us in like a 3 minute span. But when you go back and look at it, that should have never mattered. If We hit half the layups and free-throws we missed the game is not in question at the end. We win by 10 points at least.

Some of you people really struggle with reading comprehension. Making stuff up. I said you can’t win player of the year and be trash from the line , and 9-17 the last two games for an almost 80 percent free throw shooter is bad. I was speaking in terms of winning an award. I’m saying you can’t be trash from the line and win that award and 9-17 for a player like him is trash. He agrees with that. He even said so. Try reading with context and maybe slow it down. Never said he was trash. Shooting 9-17 is trash free throw shooting, and it’s one aspect of the game, and if it continues it will hurt him catch media darling Edey for POTY. I literally said Knecht was incredible before mentioning the two game free throw shooting slump.

Edey is 8-17 on free throws tonight. Guessing Edey is out of the running for player of the year now

Edey is 8-17 on free throws tonight. Guessing Edey is out of the running for player of the year now
Again, you people can’t read. I said I want Knecht to catch him and the media has already crowned Edey so Knecht can’t keep shooting free throws like he has the last two games. I was talking about how the media crafts narratives. (Edey also made 3 key free throw on overtime to get the win) You people are inventing things because I’m saying the best play in college ball needs to get out of the two game free throw shooting slump. I’d think that would be an obvious statement but you all are so soft and sensitive that you take it and invent things that never were written or said. Never said anything about “out of the running”. You simpletons make garbage up. How does me saying Knecht getting it right at the line is key to CATCHING Edey even close to me saying “out of the running”. Also, Edey isn’t try to make up ground or catch anyone. He’s the presumptive POU and was before the season started. He’s not the one needed to catch anyone, genius. Y’all are really struggling and read what you want to read and hear what you want to hear. Probably the same people who rant about analysts not picking your team and claim everyone hates Tennessee. Learn to read.

Last edited:
you also have to develop the players on your team.

They’ll get their game minutes next November/December in the buy games. This year is about winning games with who’s going to be playing this year. Those not good enough based on where they are in practice shouldn’t be gifted “development” minutes in real games that matter.

The new mix of players need the game minutes just as much or more so than the guys that might or might not be here next season.

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back