Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

I’m think “Barnes has got the message” has more subtext to it than just “he got the message that Player X is committing to us.” Hopefully it means he got the messsage that post-Collins you have to swing for the fences with NIL and can’t be mad about it. Excited to see the good news whenever it happens!!

Phillips 🤞🏻 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Did you say we just offered Tobe Akawa last night? If so we are definitely his best offer to date. I would say Pitt used to be up there as a program but they’ve fallen on hard times recently. Akawa would definitely be a good fit here.
Yes, offered last night, right after I had posted he could be a name to watch…was funny timing. Has Pitt, St. John’s & Maryland right now, obviously those are regionally closer to home than Tennessee, but maybe he doesn’t mind leaving the area? Will also be interesting to see if he opts to continue playing EYBL and getting more offers before moving forward with his recruitment, or opts to try and move quickly?

Yes, offered last night, right after I had posted he could be a name to watch…was funny timing. Has Pitt, St. John’s & Maryland right now, obviously those are regionally closer to home than Tennessee, but maybe he doesn’t mind leaving the area? Will also be interesting to see if he opts to continue playing EYBL and getting more offers before moving forward with his recruitment, or opts to try and move quickly?

Do you know if he played with ZZ any? I think that could help us if so.

Also looks like De'Vion Harmon is in the portal as well from Oregon.

Nothing jumps off the page about him stats wise though...low assist totals to play the point especially for how many minutes he was playing.

I'm curious to see what the numbers are in a couple years as far as TV ratings and money flow. A lot of people say they are going to stop who won't, then there are people who say they won't stop and probably will. Imo there will be enough who do stop that will be noticeable but I'm not sure it will actually change anything.
I’m curious on a few things about where all this is headed.
What does it do to a locker room? College programs already had enough problems but now adding in large amounts of cash, kids, handlers, etc.
Are the collectives and or boosters receiving in allocations of profits for contributions or just purely donating in the interest of having a winning program?
Do the kids Buck at the idea of going to school and or practice hours now?
When does a kid or group of kids try to sue when they don’t get paid as promised if not performing?
What if Nico comes in and struggles year one or doesn’t even start? Do we change his pay?

I’m curious on a few things about where all this is headed.
What does it do to a locker room? College programs already had enough problems but now adding in large amounts of cash, kids, handlers, etc.
Are the collectives and or boosters receiving in allocations of profits for contributions or just purely donating in the interest of having a winning program?
Do the kids Buck at the idea of going to school and or practice hours now?
When does a kid or group of kids try to sue when they don’t get paid as promised if not performing?
What if Nico comes in and struggles year one or doesn’t even start? Do we change his pay?
School maybe, but I don't see them bucking at going to practice. That's just what they have to do, if they don't practice in college they aren't going to like what they have to do in the NBA.
As far as rosters go sure, kids are going to jump more often to grab a starting spot instead of sitting and waiting their turn. I think the challenge comes with what kind of kids you recruit, you get a kid with a goof head on his shoulders and he will be fine if he gets less as long as he gets his, you get a trouble maker with a bad team of handlers around him and you're going to get trouble.
As far as boosters, I've mentioned this in the FF as well, but I think they'll get their from winning teams. Ex...look at the hotels, restaurants, malls etc that are in and around Knoxville a lot (not all) of our boosters have money tied up in that stuff, a winning team brings more people to the area, as well as bigger games which means higher prices as the demand will be there. That's their ROI their business will make more profit.

Reactions: b_gann
I think the ideal situation is obviously to land both Hunter and Phillips. I do not believe that scenario happens. Just one of the two would be massive. Malachi Smith would be a nice option if either Hunter or Phillips falls through.
I think a legitimate case could be made that Smith > Philips, I think expectation could be similar stats wise and the fact you likely get 2 years to 1 for Phillips is also a factor. Not saying I prefer Smith > Phillips just thought it was an interesting point that could be made.

I think a legitimate case could be made that Smith > Philips, I think expectation could be similar stats wise and the fact you likely get 2 years to 1 for Phillips is also a factor. Not saying I prefer Smith > Phillips just thought it was an interesting point that could be made.
I would 100% prefer Smith to Phillips, even though Smith isn't a big. Malachi is a straight up baller.

Now, I don't even think UT is going to be linked to him, but man, Malachi is just so fun to watch.

How are Smith and Phillips comparable, at all?

Count me in the pro-Smith camp (not in lieu of dropping Phillips as there’s room for both). Good sized athlete who can score.

VN Store

Back