Tennessee Lady Vol News

Now if everyone can just hold on and give this brand new group of staff at least 15 minutes to brush their teeth and throw on some orange gear before assuming and then publicly proclaiming they'll fail to land any good players, that would be super!

But seriously, I think Kim Caldwell has done everything right to this point, and I see no reason to believe it won't continue.

Sure, a lot of fans' most hoped-for players were plucked out of the portal too quickly for KC to have adequate time to get on them solidly, but dang! I believe we'll be happy with the players we get, and that they'll be thrilled to play under such a dynamic, exciting, diverse staff.

Things are definitely going well. Believe it! 🧡
I think she has this look in her eye that means “don’t mess wIth me”. It looks like her players will know better than to mess around on the court, yet give their all for her. Gives credit to her players.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what you said. The hire was/is well received after seeing her system and people have seen/heard her for a week. They would have done this with any new coach except a few which have been coaching over 20 years. Any other seasoned coach would have come with the same level of scrutiny even having coached at this level.
So again, the majority of the fanbase has shown support for Coach Caldwell.
Those teams at the top of the heap right now are not leaving stocked up teams to come here. I wouldn’t want Geno, Mulkey or Staley.

Does this mean the lady vols are now under a different NIL now?
Yes, new players and apparently existing roster if they choose, will now be under the same collective the men use, the Vol Club/Spyre. Hopefully,, supposedly this association provides more NIL money for LV basketball.

Apparently the LVBHC is mostly going to work with softball now, though I believe basketball players who are already with them can stay if they like.

Yes, new players and apparently existing roster if they choose, will now be under the same collective the men use, the Vol Club/Spyre. Hopefully,, supposedly this association provides more NIL money for LV basketball.

Apparently the LVBHC is mostly going to work with softball now, though I believe basketball players who are already with them can stay if they like.

I hadn't heard about them going mostly to softball. It's not surprising, though, because I gather Terri Holder is a huge fan of Lady Vol Softball fan and probably is closer to that program.

Though I did get a birthday card from LVBHC the other day and it was signed by Rickea.

Reactions: Lucy

This is the way it should have been from the beginning. The lady vol basketball team put Tennessee women's sports on the map and had the highest profiles of all women's athletes at Tennessee. When schools like South Carolina dedicate a large sum to their basketball players word spreads. The basketball players at Tennessee we're probably responsible for bringing the highest level of nil funds into the collective only to have those funds shared to the other sports that don't have nearly the fan base and that ultimately probably had an impact on recruiting. We have been the "second" choice for way too many players the last few years for this not to be true.

Get your money up! Get two cards on file to support the ladies across all Tennessee sports.

This is the way it should have been from the beginning. The lady vol basketball team put Tennessee women's sports on the map and had the highest profiles of all women's athletes at Tennessee. When schools like South Carolina dedicate a large sum to their basketball players word spreads. The basketball players at Tennessee we're probably responsible for bringing the highest level of nil funds into the collective only to have those funds shared to the other sports that don't have nearly the fan base and that ultimately probably had an impact on recruiting. We have been the "second" choice for way too many players the last few years for this not to be true.
Nice jab at the other winning female programs with a larger social media presence/following.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard about them going mostly to softball. It's not surprising, though, because I gather Terri Holder is a huge fan of Lady Vol Softball fan and probably is closer to that program.
Terri signed the whole softball squad to LVBHC recently. They are/were her pet program. It's a good thing; the true NIL small dollar events and money raised for them is much more suited for softball and other programs than LV basketball.
The basketball players at Tennessee we're probably responsible for bringing the highest level of nil funds into the collective only to have those funds shared to the other sports that don't have nearly the fan base and that ultimately probably had an impact on recruitin
See above. I don't think the softball team getting Painting with a Twist nights was the problem w NIL for LV recruiting. It's the kind of small dollar stuff that makes pocket change for LV athletes in other sports the LVBHC is best suited for. They never, ever had any business trying to raise the major $ needed for basketball recruiting to keep up. It was a well meaning but amateur attempt where professional fund development was needed.

Still not 100% sure how the change to the Vol Club is going to magically help, but we'll see.

Nice jab at the other winning female programs with a larger social media presence/following.
Are you kidding me. Lady Vol Basketball is the most followed, best known and has the largest national fan base of any Lady Vol sport. When's the last last time 10-12k people bought tickets and showed up for a softball game or tennis match?

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Are you kidding me. Lady Vol Basketball is the most followed, best known and has the largest national fan base of any Lady Vol sport. When's the last last time 10-12k people bought and showed up for a softball game or tennis match?
When the LV played in the women’s college World Series last year. 13K, something tells me you’re a casual fan though.

World series? Softball averages about 750 fans per game. Lady vol basketball averages 8,500 per game. That's how casual of a fan I am.
That’s great, the question was when was the last time the softball team played in front of 10-12K. I saw your 12K and raised you 1K plus added bonus of making the WCWS. Also, softball team has sold out the last two weekend series but you knew that or did you.

World series? Softball averages about 750 fans per game. Lady vol basketball averages 8,500 per game. That's how casual of a fan I am.
And just to comment a little more, if the world series was getting a whole 13k fans and a women's basketball final four is attracting 18 million fans, which is the more watched and supported sport

Lady vol basketball started this trajectory with Pat Summitt's vision in women's basketball years ago, therefore that's where the money should be especially with the Flagship program and in the city that has the women's basketball hall of Fame. Now, I get it, Pat supported everybody, but you don't pull the money from the place that started it all at the expense of the basketball team to give the support to teams that don't have the same fan support and probably never will. We need to be able to compete and get the best of the best, and unfortunately NIL money is the main player in the game right now. Women's basketball should be getting the bulk of the funds to help attract and retain the best players in the college game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfaninfl2
This is the way it should have been from the beginning.
But the LVs wanted their own. Or at least some organizers claiming to represent the LVs wanted to run their own collective. You might notice their own idea (as opposed to Spyre's) was that their collective would not share funds with other sports. You a big fan of that idea? Because every team could have its own NIL.
The basketball players at Tennessee we're probably responsible for bringing the highest level of nil funds into the collective
That is an embarrassingly ridiculous claim. Even if you add the men, and it doesn't sound like you are adding NCAAM.

Plus most fans love multiple Vols sports. It's strange to ever encounter someone who doesn't.
... only to have those funds shared to the other sports that don't have nearly the fan base and that ultimately probably had an impact on recruiting.
Do you really want to look into which Tennessee program that is true for? It sounds like you resent either Spyre or LV basketball sharing funds with other LV teams. Do you really want your "principle" to be universalized? Because it could be.

Do you really want to identify and discuss the only program "adversely" affected by the #everythingschool slogan and policy? And have you noticed how those fans 100% embrace #everythingschool for love of Tennessee sports.

All for one, and one for all. Every Tennessee team that does well creates a synergy that helps every other team. It builds the brand. It builds a family across different individual sport-based fan bases. Also, recruits know of Tennessee athletics beyond the sport they play. We are staying in the broadcast cycle year-round now, and intend to up that.

So stop sniping at our NIL. And stop... biting the hand that feeds you.

Also, are you a member, or just a complainer?

Last edited:
That’s great, the question was when was the last time the softball team played in front of 10-12K. I saw your 12K and raised you 1K plus added bonus of making the WCWS. Also, softball team has sold out the last two weekend series but you knew that or did you.
Baseball, too. We currently have the #3 ranked programs nationally in softball and baseball. Both CWS teams last year.

Great little interaction with Puckett and Coach Caldwell. So far Kim just strikes me as genuine. Someone who says what she means and means what she says.

I fully believe her when she’s outlining what her vision and goals are for players. Suspect EVERYONE on the roster is going to be better next season.

VN Store

Back