Tennessee Jed?

It's crazy to me that Grateful Dead's Tennessee Jed is not a huge song for the Vols played during games. Why is it not?! I think heard I've the Pride of the Southland play it before, but just can't believe it's not a household song for all Vols fan. Go Vols!

I agree (see screen name)! It's been played a few times in videos shown on the jumbotrons.

Never understood the attraction the Dead had among a small but rabid group of my peers when we were all younger.

And this song has no great appeal to me, either. Reading this thread is the first time I've heard it, and thought it sounded like it was about to just slow to a stop a couple of times. So then I read the lyrics: don't see any great ringing endorsement for Tennessee in there, either.

Please Come to Boston is a much stronger choice if you're just looking for a "get back home to Tennessee" ballad.

So yeah. Just don't get it, I guess.

But to each his own.

Go Vols!

I only have one friend who likes the dead. He’s more of an acid or mushroom guy. Lot of my heavy pot smoking friends are more into Widespread Panic.
I like them both. But not for any sort of drug-related reasons. I think the dead did something amazing when they infused bluegrass and traditional music into the SF scene in the 60s. While most other top bands were building off blues influences, it was a novel idea to go another direction. Jerry had a lot to do with that. Panic, on the other hand, built on that spirit of improvisation, and while most would just consider them a rock jam band, you can hear Latin, funk, disco (among other) influences. And for musicians like me, and music nerds (also like me), it’s pretty impressive to hear what they do live. An acquired taste, for sure, but I don’t think any professional musician would write them off as just “drug music.”

It's crazy to me that Grateful Dead's Tennessee Jed is not a huge song for the Vols played during games. Why is it not?! I think heard I've the Pride of the Southland play it before, but just can't believe it's not a household song for all Vols fan. Go Vols!

It was when I was in school between 07-11. It was always played in a mixup with “back where I come from” between the 3rd and 4th quarters. Great song imo

VN Store

Back