Tennessee is a dream job....

With complete unbias....its only a "Dream Job" for Vol Fans. It may be a dream job sometime in the future again but we will have to get someone with deep ties to the school or get another "Dooley".

I don't know of many coaches that dream of being at a recruiting disadvantage and can't wait to play Saban, Miles, Richt and Spurrier, much less Florida.

If you find him, sign him up.

Playing the in the SEC is not a disadvantage. Why would any competitive coach want to go anywhere else than the best conference against the best teams. You may not like the challenge, but thats you.

UT can have really good recruiting classes and field good teams and go 8-4/ 9-3 at best. Finishing in the top 20 in both recruiting and on the field means you're in the middle of the pack in the SEC. That's the bottom line. Bama, UGA, LSU, & UF aren't going any where. After those teams UT is still looking up to South Carolina. That puts them in a pack with aTm, Auburn, Miss St. (just lost to).

It's a tough league out there. You can be good and have nothing to show for it.

UT can have really good recruiting classes and field good teams and go 8-4/ 9-3 at best. Finishing in the top 20 in both recruiting and on the field means you're in the middle of the pack in the SEC. That's the bottom line. Bama, UGA, LSU, & UF aren't going any where. After those teams UT is still looking up to South Carolina. That puts them in a pack with aTm, Auburn, Miss St. (just lost to).

It's a tough league out there. You can be good and have nothing to show for it.

Today with Dooley yes. In that past and in the future no. Tennessee has always been at the top of the SEC. We are in a down period, but I don't see us staying that way.

Cracks me up to see you put South Carolina and others ahead of us. Before spurrier got there, they were nothing.

It's the best atmosphere in Tennessee. Not even top 25 in college football atmospheres.

If u actually went to games u would understand.. No way that the Florida game atmosphere wasn't top 5 game atmospheres in the country this year..

And I feel that uf game was a sign of things to come if we get back to winning.. That's what the crowd looks like when we r top 25 against uf.. Imagine what it would look like if we were top 10/5..

Today with Dooley yes. In that past and in the future no. Tennessee has always been at the top of the SEC. We are in a down period, but I don't see us staying that way.

Cracks me up to see you put South Carolina and others ahead of us. Before spurrier got there, they were nothing.

The SEC has never been this stacked.. Gonna be very hard to get back to where we were..

The SEC has never been this stacked.. Gonna be very hard to get back to where we were..

I agree the SEC it tough and it will always be that way. The top teams just rotate. I still believe we can be at the top. Only time will tell.

These are ones I thought of off the top of my head befroe I stopped writing:
USC
Ohio State
Alabama
LSU
Florida
Ga
ND
TX
Michigan
FL St.
OK

I dont believe UGA, OK, Mich, or FSU is a better job than UT. I'd say UGA and FSU is at the bottom of the list with the others somewhat equal.

I hate F'n trolls

In the SEC East: Florida and Georgia are givens. South Carolina has made the strides necessary to have a better atmosphere.

In the SEC West: Alabama and LSU are givens. Auburn currently has a better atmosphere. Ole Miss is horrible but their gameday atmosphere makes Tennessee's look pathetic. Texas A&M is also a more exciting place to watch a game than UT.

Elsewhere in the south, Florida State has a better atmosphere. Clemson is one of the best towns in America to watch a college football game and has pageantry and a feel that Tennessee simply lacks. Blacksburg is great thanks to VA Tech.

Oh, let's not forget the Big 12! Texas obviously dwarfs UT, as does Oklahoma.

We've touched three conferences and found 13 teams that have better atmospheres than Tennessee. Shall I continue?

Well, this is Spurrier's 8th year at South Carolina...and yes, they are ahead of UT. Sorry if you can't accept that.

Bottom line is the SEC has never been this tough. Back in the '90's it was UF, then UT, then Bama/UGA/Auburn. LSU sucked for the most part. Ark was mediocre. South Carolina sucked. Miss St & Ole Miss weren't much. Miss St. won the SEC West in 1998. What does that tell you about the SEC West. The SEC CG was won by the East from '93-'98.

Reactions: 1 person
No recruiting base, in the strongest conference and limited funds to pay said coach with. It's a middle of the road upper division job.

Lane Kiffin said that UT is a top-10 job in the country. Are you calling kiffin a liar???

A "dream job" or "better job" is not how they are playing now or what players they have now - it is size and importance and potential of the job. With our history, budget, facilities, and fan base Tennessee is a sleeping giant - all it will take is the right person at the right time.

Tennessee is a top 10 job. Same level as Alabama. Florida and UGA may be more attractive though since they are right there in hot recruiting spots.

1) Athletic Department stability has been in a tailspin
2) Recruiting prowess by other schools is making us a tougher sell
3) Competition is at its highest level in a long time while we're in arguably our weakest state in decades
4) Fanbase, while supportive, has exceedingly unrealistic expectations
5) Money might be an issue
6) Better jobs at up and coming programs arguably more attractive

How is expecting to win at one of the winningest programs of all time unreasonable

Its simply just not what it used to be. I really hate to say that but, you guys have got to look at it from a unbiased perspective. You're not in the "Bob Stoops", "Jon Gruden" range. You're in the "Larry Fedora" range, and honestly, that might not be a bad option all things considered.

Your dumb Alabama wasnt in the Saban range either i guess

The fact its the right coach could come here and be competing for National Championships within a few years and on a regular basis. There's maybe 15 programs that can say that and UT is one of them.

Very true. That's why we have to make a great hire this time. No more of this "pick up the phone and ask a bunch of guys if they want to come coach at UT for an average SEC salary and see who says yes". No, this time our AD needs to get out there and woo a coach and spend until it hurts. It's the only way to compete these days.

Very true. That's why we have to make a great hire this time. No more of this "pick up the phone and ask a bunch of guys if they want to come coach at UT for an average SEC salary and see who says yes". No, this time our AD needs to get out there and woo a coach and spend until it hurts. It's the only way to compete these days.

Agree.
Money talks on a proven coach,,
If we were in our first coach replacement then I'd say a chance could be taken but where we are at with the program winning and losing then hiring a big time is needed now,,,

The fact its the right coach could come here and be competing for National Championships within a few years and on a regular basis. There's maybe 15 programs that can say that and UT is one of them.

Exactly. Amazing to see all the posts on here saying we are a has been, that was in the 90's and other garbage.

Tennessee is a dream job. Get the right coach (Grudenites Assemble :) ) and we are winning it all again.

I feel like we are as much a dream job as any school. A dream job should be a school with a large budget that pays well and gives all the tools to succeed with lots of passionate fans and on the biggest stage so all your hard work gets noticed. I feel like we are exactly like Bama pre Saban - traditional SEC power (with a better place to live than Tuscaloosa).

We're not actually a high paying job. While we rank about 20th among BCS programs, Dooley's current pay is less than 1/2 of Mack Brown's and Saban's pay. Depending on which list you look at, we rank between 7th to 10th in the SEC for head coach pay.

We're not actually a high paying job. While we rank about 20th among BCS programs, Dooley's current pay is less than 1/2 of Mack Brown's and Saban's pay. Depending on which list you look at, we rank between 7th to 10th in the SEC for head coach pay.

Think about it......thats because we reached for a guy with no experience in the SEC as a coach. For the right guy, UT will pay whats needed.

We paid what CDD was worth.....I may ask for some money back :)

It's a top tier job, but some people are delusional. Not everybody wants to live and raise a family in a place like Knoxville. That plays a huge role in where coaches choose to go.

VN Store

Back