Tennessee has Nation's Largest Recruiting Expense Budget

One reason for the highest budget is having to recruit nationally against SEC competition. Teams like GA, FL, AL, LSU have a lot more instate talent than TN and it costs less when you have instate prospects who are fans of the school, and HS coaches who support the instate school.

One reason for the highest budget is having to recruit nationally against SEC competition. Teams like GA, FL, AL, LSU have a lot more instate talent than TN and it costs less when you have instate prospects who are fans of the school, and HS coaches who support the instate school.

I bet Tennessee and Notre Dame are the top 2 in money spent on recruiting

SIAP but seeing that Coach Z and Butch Stones are flying high today hitting a lot of recruits over the next 48 hrs. Any word on whom we are in-home visiting this week with this massive recruiting visit? Are the other coaches hitting some big time in homes? Again, apologize if posted, figured it should be in a "how do we finish thread" but hadn't found that either!

talking about roi- i would love to see how many home games it takes to pay off that budget. After which the money is profit for UT.
with the size of our stadium i would guess 1-2. If so then it is a great investment!

Anyone have a better idea of the number, I will be the first to admit that I have no clue! Just curious

talking about roi- i would love to see how many home games it takes to pay off that budget. After which the money is profit for UT.
with the size of our stadium i would guess 1-2. If so then it is a great investment!

Anyone have a better idea of the number, I will be the first to admit that I have no clue! Just curious

Don't know but I bet the answer would surprise you. I think attendance does very little as far as the overall budget, I would suspect a good bit more comes from donations, tv money, corporate sponsorships, etc. JMO though, Deerpark would have a much better idea on that question than probably anyone else that posts on here. LWS might also have a pretty informed opinion on that topic.

Shocked to see Indiana on the list.

There can't be too many college level talented football players in Indiana, so they have to go to other states to bring them in. They also compete with Purdue & Notre Dame for any high school players that may be in the state with enough talent to play college level football.

Nothing new. I saw an article from a couple years ago and it was the same. Certainly helps in the SEC to have the support and money for the program.

Don't know but I bet the answer would surprise you. I think attendance does very little as far as the overall budget, I would suspect a good bit more comes from donations, tv money, corporate sponsorships, etc. JMO though, Deerpark would have a much better idea on that question than probably anyone else that posts on here. LWS might also have a pretty informed opinion on that topic.

You make a lot of sense. I think TV and endorsements surely make up for it.
I can't help but think though that if 102k people all buy a ticket and a mixer....errr drink it would add up fast. I have no idea the overhead however which must be astounding. I remember a crazy stat about the tonnage of hotdogs, sodas, and the like back in the '90's and the numbers were staggering!
In short I think the recruiting money is well spent but would fun to know the real numbers.

Last edited:
You make a lot of sense. I think TV and endorsements surely make up for it.
I can't help but think though that if 102k people all buy a ticket and a mixer....errr drink it would add up fast. I have no idea the overhead however which must be astounding. I remember a crazy stat about the tonnage of hotdogs, sodas, and the like back in the '90's and the numbers were staggering!
In short I think the recruiting money is well spent but would fun to know the real numbers.

The REAL numbers don't exist.... as far as we know....

VN Store

Back