Tennessee Football

2 unproven coaches, totally a gamble with both. I’d say the only fair thing to say is they both have a 50% chance of long term success, which means they both have a 50% chance of drinking the place up. It’s roulette. Predicting success is almost like a shot in the dark.

Edit: stinking... no drinking works

meh. the talent thing is overrated imo. people say 'back to back top 7 classes' and think problem solved.

you look at the interior of the o line, that's a problem, i don't care what they start rankings say.

you go back and re rank those top classes, with just the players that are left from those classes, that are on the roster today, and they're not close to top 7 classes.

so i'll say there's talent in spots, and there's holes in others.

so whatever rating system you want to use, the 'talent' that's left is mostly either unproven, had injury problems or a lot of it has just plain gone away...transfer, retirement, graduate or to the NFL.

all that said, i think the roster in general is in better shape than it was when CBJ took over. but not as good of shape as it could have been had we fired CBJ after the Vandy loss in 2016. but whatever, that ship sailed....

as you said....development, buy in, depth, overall chemistry with the staff and roster....all way more important to the 2018 season than any talent rating you want to put next to this roster when compared to anyone we compete with.:thumbsup:

Agree with all of this. My main point is that there is talent there to work with. He's not starting from scratch the way Jones was. Like you said though, there are several other factors to consider; development, buy in, fitting the system, injuries. All of those are going to play a huge roll in how far this team comes this season.

giphy.gif

Ok. Here it is. The time has come. Both the Vols and Titans completely clean house. New coaches in place. How does it turn out?

Which program/franchise is more likely to experience instant success this fall?

Which will have the more successful next 3-5 years?

Which is more likely to bust?

My fellow Tennesseans and you other folk, what say you?

**Success is loosely defined. Make of it what you will.**

Glad you asked...
1) Vols 11-1
2) Titans... eh, sorry man, tough times there.

Now you know.

It's a shame over the past 5 years the possibility of stardom several players have had.. were thrown away by trash play calling on both sides of the ball. 10-15 years of fans lives have been wasted due to negligent decisions.. I feel confident that Pruitt will have an immediate impact.. assuming he does not make bad play calls.

Granted.. alot can happen in 6 months.. let's hope for a decent season.

Regarding the changes with the Titans. Don't have an opinion.. haven't really watched since the protests.

Sent from my H1711 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's a shame over the past 5 years the possibility of stardom several players have had.. were thrown away by trash play calling on both sides of the ball. 10-15 years of fans lives have been wasted due to negligent decisions.. I feel confident that Pruitt will have an immediate impact.. assuming he does not make bad play calls.

Granted.. alot can happen in 6 months.. let's hope for a decent season.

Regarding the changes with the Titans. Don't have an opinion.. haven't really watched since the protests.

Sent from my H1711 using Tapatalk

I have been orange blooded since 1979. Not once has football wasted my life. If it wastes yours, you need to find something else to do with your life.

Reactions: 2 people
Ok. Here it is. The time has come. Both the Vols and Titans completely clean house. New coaches in place. How does it turn out?

NFL football is dead to me. Therefore, UT will be more successful. I STICK A NEW PIN IN A VOODOO DOLL DAILY HOPING THE NFL GOES OUT OF BUSINESS. To me they've become just another wing of the propaganda machine. Example, why did female breast cancer become the cause celebre of the NFL? Couldn't they have picked a disease like lung cancer that kills women and men??? Think the NFL and their fans don't lose a few fathers to various diseases??

I see the Titans doing better but they will choke when it really matters. Losing streak when they are in prime position to win division. Choke when they are on verge of winning a play off game
U T will do well enough to keep the fans loyal and encouraged and keep a lot of ESPN buzz. However, there will be improvement but no SEC championship appearance and in 5 years it all falls a part and Pruitt Will be fired. It is a big vicious cycle at U T

I see the Titans doing better but they will choke when it really matters. Losing streak when they are in prime position to win division. Choke when they are on verge of winning a play off game
U T will do well enough to keep the fans loyal and encouraged and keep a lot of ESPN buzz. However, there will be improvement but no SEC championship appearance and in 5 years it all falls a part and Pruitt Will be fired. It is a big vicious cycle at U T

I just don't see any scenario that has Pruitt failing. He will recruit at a high level every year, he will keep a top 3-5 coaching staff in the country year in and out. Pruitt has a better resume and reputation than what Kirby had before he became a HC. Unless he just all of a sudden forgets how to recruit, develop and have one of the best staff's year in and out then I don't see him failing as a HC. Some guys are better suited to be Assistant's but nothing about JP even remotely says that. But we won't know either way till we see the results on the field. I would be beyond shocked if he doesn't become a top 5 HC. I never would have thought Dabo would be one of the best College HC's. Chip Kelly, who didn't have an impressive Assistant Coach history or resume is talked about by some to be one of those HC's . Many First time Coach's who have become very successful didn't have anything close to the Assistant Coaching resume JP has.I guarantee very few expected Fulmer to do what he did here without prior headcoaching experience. Somebody else may be able to find something but I haven't seen or heard one thing about his Assistant Coaching resume that points to him failing. JMO.

Reactions: 1 person
I just don't see any scenario that has Pruitt failing. He will recruit at a high level every year, he will keep a top 3-5 coaching staff in the country year in and out. Pruitt has a better resume and reputation than what Kirby had before he became a HC. Unless he just all of a sudden forgets how to recruit, develop and have one of the best staff's year in and out then I don't see him failing as a HC. Some guys are better suited to be Assistant's but nothing about JP even remotely says that. But we won't know either way till we see the results on the field. I would be beyond shocked if he doesn't become a top 5 HC. I never would have thought Dabo would be one of the best College HC's. Chip Kelly, who didn't have an impressive Assistant Coach history or resume is talked about by some to be one of those HC's . Many First time Coach's who have become very successful didn't have anything close to the Assistant Coaching resume JP has.I guarantee very few expected Fulmer to do what he did here without prior headcoaching experience. Somebody else may be able to find something but I haven't seen or heard one thing about his Assistant Coaching resume that points to him failing. JMO.

Boy, you are on board aren’t you? I envy your optimism and hope it’s 100% accurate.

I hate hearing or seeing “Tennessee Football” only to then hear, see, or in this case click to find out that it’s about that team in Nashville.
There is only ONE - “Tennessee Football” to me.
That is the University of Tennessee Volunteers.
The Nashville Titans are just that, the Nashville Titans.
That is what I call them.
That should be their name.

Reactions: 1 person
Boy, you are on board aren’t you? I envy your optimism and hope it’s 100% accurate.

Lol..yes sir. I'm ride or die with JP. I may be completely wrong about him, but hoping we finally have our guy and not doing this again in 4-5 yrs. The last first time HC we hired worked out great and the best football years as a Vol fan. It is Ironic that Fulmer was the last first Yr HC we had and now He's done the same thing, but from the other side of the desk.

How does this not have 10,000 likes?

Gave you both a like.

BTW my earliest Vol memories started when I carried a route for the News-Sentinel and was able to start selling "line-ups" outside the stadium when I was 10 yrs old, that was 1965... after a few games I wormed my way into the stadium as a vendor, "Cold DRINKS!"

Aren't the Titans fairly good/successful right now? They were in the post season last year. We went 4-8 and didn't make a bowl game...

VN Store

Back