Tennessee Big Man Thread

Care to put some money on who has the most productive season? I'll put $100 on McGhee. BTO can hold the spoils.

As I've been saying... stats don't tell the story on Evans. Plus McGhee won't be facing equivalent competition. But if we're talking fouls per minute over the entire season, I'll put 5 figures on Evans.

Check me out on this TGO.
Career per 100 Possessions

Evans 4
McGhee 1.7

Don't think I read it wrong but I get cross eyed looking at stats
Oops that Turnovers. Cross eyed.

Last edited:
Check me out on this TGO.
Career per 100 Possessions

Evans 4
McGhee 1.7

Don't think I read it wrong but I get cross eyed looking at stats
Oops that Turnovers. Cross eyed.

Evans probably touches the ball about 4x every half court set.

Depending on match up situations later in the season, maybe Williams plays small forward with Fulkerson at power forward and Alexander at the center spot and Hubbs could play shooting guard and then you have Turner or Bone or Phillips at the point guard spot.

As I've been saying... stats don't tell the story on Evans. Plus McGhee won't be facing equivalent competition. But if we're talking fouls per minute over the entire season, I'll put 5 figures on Evans.
Sure about that? Played 10 minutes against St Mary's and had 1 foul.

Two things... Barnes gets their attention and hopefully motivates them by sitting them down. Also, Barnes is big on matchups... so Admiral's and Alexander's playing time will fluctuate wildly based on what the opponent puts on the floor.

Thirdly... Alexander seems to be struggling with the mental part of what Barnes expects from his roster. That's understandable with his limited time playing organized basketball. Barnes probably expected this... therefore Lew Evans was brought in to fill the need while Kyle develops.

Fourthly... it looked like Schofield was going to get a lot of minutes versus TN Tech last night until he twisted up his ankle.

Thank you for the well thought out and concise answer. I forget about Alexanders overall lack of experience sometimes.
I guess its not that important but I'd like to know what got Schofield suspended just for more insight into the Barnes method.

So Fulkerson...Williams. I haven't done much research until a couple of minutes ago on Lipscomb. Here is info on their bigs.

Their power forward is Sophomore, Rob Marberry, 6'7 player from Nashville, TN averaging 11 points 4.3 rebounds per game.

Their center is Junior, George Brammeier, 6'10, 235 from Florida averaging 8 points per game and 3 boards per game.

Seems like a very balanced scoring team with the majority of scoring coming from their 1, 2 and 3. This could be a game where I see us getting some point from our bigs.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Setting screens don't show up. Handling the ball without making a turnover won't show up. Playing good help defense won't show.

Hmmm...Those are all the Things that Stansbury said he appreciates Jabari for and that you won't see them in the box score.

Yep somebody has to do the little things and the dirty work so you just can't write them off.

We make waaaay more out of these "tiffs" than the players and coaches do. Imo Last night he was the only player I saw to pat Barnes on the back, after being taken out of the game. And he never looked pouty while serving his suspension. Admiral is gonna be alright. He's just gotta embrace the junk yard dog/garbage buckets and defense mentality, rather than floating the 3 pt line and settle for the 3 ball mentality. Jmo

yeah...many players go through lulls, lows, health issues and such, but the Admiral can be tough down low...he can scrap with the best when his head is right...:)

GO VOLS!

Hmmm...Those are all the Things that Stansbury said he appreciates Jabari for and that you won't see them in the box score.

Yep somebody has to do the little things and the dirty work so you just can't write them off.

I don't remember McGhee playing the same role as Evans, but yes there are still things that don't show up in stats. Mostly screening off the player being guarded for rebounds and the credit for the rebound going to somebody else. Evans plays a lot positioned to set high ball screens and moving the ball around the perimeter. Also potentially taking a 3-pointer to draw out the defensive bigs. IMO McGhee would hustle back and get positioned low in the paint and be better positioned to steal offensive rebounds. I think of Evans as more of a high post and McGhee as a small low post. Defensively they fill/filled similar spots. But offensively it seems like Barnes wants Evans out on top... I don't remember him playing JM much out there.

I don't remember McGhee playing the same role as Evans, but yes there are still things that don't show up in stats. Mostly screening off the player being guarded for rebounds and the credit for the rebound going to somebody else. Evans plays a lot positioned to set high ball screens and moving the ball around the perimeter. Also potentially taking a 3-pointer to draw out the defensive bigs. IMO McGhee would hustle back and get positioned low in the paint and be better positioned to steal offensive rebounds. I think of Evans as more of a high post and McGhee as a small low post. Defensively they fill/filled similar spots. But offensively it seems like Barnes wants Evans out on top... I don't remember him playing JM much out there.

I don't remember Barnes playing him much at all. Lol

Last edited:

VN Store

Back