Teens throw sand bags off overpass only one gets jail time

Yes, it's true, most kids that age are also impaired in capacities relevant to adjudicative competence. Thanks for adding to my argument. I knew you'd eventually be good for something.

Between what ages should we lock up all children?

Between what ages should we lock up all children?
Not quite sure what you're asking here, but I'm not an attorney, a lawmaker, or a child psychiatrist. It's not in my purview. Just someone who thinks over-punishing kids that age for a first offense and a mistake that led to a death isn't reasonable. Just as I said in my first post in this thread.

The 5 teens in Michigan that were throwing rocks off the overpass that killed a man are being charged with multiple (8) felonies including 2nd degree murder, are being charged as adults, and are being held without bail. Surely there's some middle ground between the 2 cases.

Not quite sure what you're asking here, but I'm not an attorney, a lawmaker, or a child psychiatrist. It's not in my purview. Just someone who thinks over-punishing kids that age for a first offense and a mistake that led to a death isn't reasonable. Just as I said in my first post in this thread.

They killed a man. They deliberately killed a man. This was no accident nor a mistake. You need to understand that.

They killed a man. They deliberately killed a man. This was no accident nor a mistake. You need to understand that.
You don't know that was their intent. Quit being dumb. It's like you haven't comprehended anything I've written in my last few posts in this thread. I'm done talking to you about it. Stubborn stupid annoys me.

Reactions: 4 people
You don't know that was their intent. Quit being dumb. It's like you haven't comprehended anything I've written in my last few posts in this thread. I'm done talking to you about it. Stubborn stupid annoys me.

I certainly do know that was their intent. So do you. Quit being dumb.

Also, no liberal can claim anyone is stupid. Lmao

Reactions: 3 people
You'd probably think different if it were your spouse or child they killed.

Quit being a stubborn hypocrite, it all depends on whose ox is being gored.

Make it your loss, your home, your money, then you change your tune. Let it be someone else you don't know and the victim gets forgotten easily, while the "poor underdeveloped brained children" get your sympathy and understanding.

They deserve to be removed from society to diminish the chance that they create more victims, because, according to you, they can't help themselves based upon their physical under development.

A liberal is just a conservative that hasn't been mugged yet.

Make it your loss, your home, your money, then you change your tune. Let it be someone else you don't know and the victim gets forgotten easily, while the "poor underdeveloped brained children" get your sympathy and understanding.

They deserve to be removed from society to diminish the chance that they create more victims, because, according to you, they can't help themselves based upon their physical under development.

It's hardly 'conservative' to house them on taxpayers dime for 60+ years.

I can't say how I would feel if it was my child. The child that did this.

Attempt to rehab them for 5 years, evaluate them at 18. If it seems to take, put them in a halfway house for a period of time deemed fit by a judge.

Any alternative to just adding to what I think is one of our dumbest fiscal wastes.
What is magic about 18?

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, and many of them identify as conservatives.

They are two different things.

Semantics is what you’re going with? Ok....

Most republicans, ideologically, identify as conservative. There’s no such thing as a liberal conservative.

My point stands on its own merit.

In accordance with our age of adulthood. If it were 16, I'd say 3 years. If it were 21, I'd say 8.

Kind of obvious.
It might be obvious. It is also arbitrary.

My point here is that we have a 'definition' of adulthood that has no scientific basis. And it is interesting that while the one size fits all of adulthood being age 18 can apply to one's competence to commit murder with forethought and to then be responsible for it. Obtaining a gun is now being challenged to be changed to age 21. Again, arbitrary.

But lawyers like CWV like 'bright lines'. Makes their job easier I guess.

It should be looked at on a case to case basis. Some kids grow up faster than others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
It might be obvious. It is also arbitrary.

My point here is that we have a 'definition' of adulthood that has no scientific basis. And it is interesting that while the one size fits all of adulthood being age 18 can apply to one's competence to commit murder with forethought and to then be responsible for it. Obtaining a gun is now being challenged to be changed to age 21. Again, arbitrary.

But lawyers like CWV like 'bright lines'. Makes their job easier I guess.

It should be looked at on a case to case basis. Some kids grow up faster than others.

I agree that they are arbitrary but while due process exists in our country, we should go accordingly.

There's no quantifiable measurement for "growing up faster than others."

Attempt to rehab them for 5 years, evaluate them at 18. If it seems to take, put them in a halfway house for a period of time deemed fit by a judge.

Any alternative to just adding to what I think is one of our dumbest fiscal wastes.
Here's an idea, why don't they stay at your house for 5 years?

Think of all the money we'd save.

Sure there is. It's called a republican.

For crying out loud, you’re kidding right?

You’ve just proven my point even further, regardless of how you want to define right and left politics.

Dang son, Colombian booze must be blindingly toxic.

I agree that they are arbitrary but while due process exists in our country, we should go accordingly.

There's no quantifiable measurement for "growing up faster than others."
Exactly my point. You are mixing arguments though. I am not arguing against due process. These kids deserve it just like anybody else. I am arguing the hard line of 18 being the be deciding factor on whether or not a criminal is of an adult mentality or capability is that which is wrong. It has to be taken on a case by case basis. I would venture to guess that these kids growing up on a middle class neighborhood were not as exposed to 'real' life as kids in the hood for example. Hood kids grow up faster because they have to. These kids have probably never seen a dead body unless it was a funeral. Death is an abstraction to them that exists in movies and video games. So the 'blame' falls squarely on the parents. Now. How do you rectify this situation? 'counsel' them to that magic line of 18? Visions of the Af'flu'ence comes to mind. I think these kids should have their wages garnished to repay the family of the victim for several years... AFTER... becoming 'adults'. There has to be real consequence, and counseling is not it.

For crying out loud, you’re kidding right?

You’ve just proven my point even further, regardless of how you want to define right and left politics.

Dang son, Colombian booze must be blindingly toxic.

You never had a point. Just another fringe-laden tirade to make the other apes pound their chests in excitement.

Colombian booze is notoriously weak. Next.

VN Store

Back