Team improvement

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I know many on this site keep posting that that don't see any improvement on this team. I admit there are areas where I was hoping to see improvement and haven't yet, but I do see improvement.

So, for those of you who do see improvement, please post specifics in this thread. I'm curious to see if others share my views or if I'm in the minority.

:hi:

Reactions: 2 people
No illegal substitution calls so far this year...?

Running game has improved

Passing has regressed

Defense has improved on takeaways and they do play with a little fire. Still lacking speed and quality depth.

Special teams has improved the most

Other than the false start it was executed pretty well. I'm sad it got called back.

i was referring to the (i don't know how to describe it) fg attempt that was missed after the fake.

i would also say that the defense doesn't seem to be making mental mistakes. most of the problems appear to be more physical than mental.

Special teams, other than holder blocking Palardy, he has done well. More touchbacks on kickoffs, and punting has been good. Aggressive defense, ball hawking, a lot of int's. The biggest thing I seen and like is in this team I have not seen any quit at all. I have seen folks post it, but I have not seen it.

Reactions: 1 person
Other than the false start it was executed pretty well. I'm sad it got called back.

I don't know if I have ever seen a penalty have as big of an impact as that on the rest of the game. Hopefully they can learn from it. That's part of the growth and improvement of a team. Football is about fine details. And no, I am not Derek.

I thought this was the best game so far for young receivers Croom and Smith, and freshman Branisel got his first TD catch too. That has to give them more confidence that they are part of it; would be interesting to see if they carry themselves differently in practice this week.

I know many on this site keep posting that that don't see any improvement on this team. I admit there are areas where I was hoping to see improvement and haven't yet, but I do see improvement.

So, for those of you who do see improvement, please post specifics in this thread. I'm curious to see if others share my views or if I'm in the minority.

:hi:

there are improvements being made. but when you play as many freshman and walk-ons as Tennessee is using then consistency is a major problem. using those players you get good plays and then bad plays.

through 5 games, based on the number of players playing in each game here is the percent that were freshman and walk-ons.

A Peay - 40%
W Kentucky - 41%
Oregon - 42%
Florida - 39%
S Alabama - 36%

I see many good things happening. there are a lot of bad things also but it is going to be that way until those kids playing get experience. Using that many of those type kids above in the SEC makes it difficult to win in this conference...

But I agree freak, there is improvement happening, every game.

the biggest improvement thus far I've seen was they did not quit last week at Florida. continued to compete and play hard until the end. Past years, players quit

Reactions: 3 people
Prior to the season, my position of greatest concern was cornerback; I no longer feel that way after seeing the play of Sutton. But we still lack depth among our dbs.

Sapp has been playing real well but the lbs have been awful at pursuing. Pass coverage has been better overall. I have a feeling the DLine will start playing a lot better. Offense is going to have to start helping the dfense stay off the field.

Palardy is a pleasant surprise, the defense has been very good at take aways, I think we are top 3 in country in interceptions, and coverage teams are a big improvement.

All aspects of Palardy's game, which is everything kicking related.

Much better team discipline-fewer penalties

Much better team chemistry and drive-not quitting at the end of a game (or halftime)

Defense being much more disruptive-turnovers, runs for loss, batted passes

Fundamentals for the most part are stronger, except catching-young receiver corp

Improved speed in secondary but still woefully slow compared to our competition

Reactions: 3 people
Players are in position and playing with passion. Gang tackling is much better than before. Players are wrapping up instead of going for ESPN knockout highlights. The OL is run blocking better and the backs are running harder. I see lots of improvements in how we play. Palardy is 100% better than he was in previous years. The biggest issue is team speed compared to top SEC teams and our QB play. Will Worley get better? Only time will answer that one, but only recruiting will answer the other.

Worley actually ran the ball yesterday. I know it was only once ( I think ) but the read option needs the occasional qb run to be successful. I thought Neal ran better inside, didn't always bounce out a little early. I think most of this fan base doesn't understand that "Brick by brick" means a little at a time. The receivers are slowly getting better, I just hope the qb follows soon. The kicking game is much improved too.

IMPROVED AREAS
1. Discipline
2. Team attitude
3. Special teams
4. Positive environment
5. Don't quit
6. Running game
7. Better defense

With all of the above noted, the plan is in place we just need to "stay the course" and bring in more talent and gain some experience. I go back to CBJ's record which is four championships in six years. At any level, CBJ has a PROVEN system. He needs time and is asking for Vol fans support as we go through these tough times.

I am supporting CBJ and willing to give him my support until he proves otherwise.

Palardy seems to have finally gotten it together.
Crooms showed some improvement yesterday.
I thought Sapp had a good game.
If nothing else, this defense is opportunistic. 10 picks so far.
Neal seems to be getting north and south quicker and not trying to bounce as many runs to the outside.

Palardy. Whoever got into his head and coached him up needs to do Worley.

Until USA, penalties.

Corner play is much better and pass rush came along nicely at the end of yesterday's game. Vereen will ball out this year.

DEFENSEDEFENSEDEFENSE!!!! The defense is way better. We are setting the edge much better, better pass rush, much better defensive back play. This defense is fun to watch, the players are aggressive and opportunistic.

Offense - run blocking is better. We just need help in the passing game.

We lead the SEC in interceptions and least amount of penalty yards. 3rd in league in sacks allowed. Palardy finally looks good and reliable.

Thus far all on the offense vs last season 475 yards per game last season 369 this season. Defense gave up 471 last season and 411 this season and last year we didn't play Oregon. So we looked to improved on special teams and defense this season. We have a lot of youg inexperienced players in skill positions on offense hopefully they will improve with every game played and at the end of the season we'll be over 400 yards offense per game.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back