Team 120 or bust

I'm not going to argue that recruiting leads to championships, but to say we will be irrelevant if we don't win it all this year is rediculous. Mizzou won the east in back to back seasons with some of the lowest rated classes in the SEC. It still boils down to player evaluation, player development, and coaching. We were slaughtered by an Oregon team that didn't highly outrank us in 4 year recruiting average. Recruiting service rankings don't win national titles. If so, Texas would have played in as many title games as the current Bama dynasty. Last time I checked, they have the same number of BCS titles as we do.

Reactions: 2 people
Not many will rank up. It doesn't happen that often.

It is never "stupid" to worry about recruiting and especially considering the mantra during last year's recruiting cycle was "just wait til next year when TN is loaded with stud recruits".

Whether TN HSFB is loaded this year is debatable. The fact that UT has one of the 13 4* players in state with 5 already committed to other schools.... means there's plenty to "worry" about on the recruiting front.

In an ironic twist, last year's class turned out to be one of our best.
Before we back counted the running back last week, I believe 2016 ended with the highest (or 2nd) star averge we have had.
Funny, we think we know how things will go but..

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not going to argue that recruiting leads to championships, but to say we will be irrelevant if we don't win it all this year is rediculous. Mizzou won the east in back to back seasons with some of the lowest rated classes in the SEC. It still boils down to player evaluation, player development, and coaching. We were slaughtered by an Oregon team that didn't highly outrank us in 4 year recruiting average. Recruiting service rankings don't win national titles. If so, Texas would have played in as many title games as the current Bama dynasty. Last time I checked, they have the same number of BCS titles as we do.

I don't get it either. 3 of the four teams in the CFP prove the thought that a team must be filled with 5* and top 4* to be competitive false.

I think a lot of this is driven by the need for some to brag about being high in any ranking or rating associated with football.

And seriously if the recruiting ratings are that good of a predictor, let's just cancel football - no need to play the game since we all know who is going to win anyway. Just award everything based on that.

OP is actually right on two things IMO ...
#1 As inaccurate as "stars" can be, the history is absolutely documented that you need >1 and prob >2 Top 10 classes to win a Natty. Numbers don't lie, and of course their can always be a "Cavs down 3-1" outlier in the future. Sorta like winning the lotto.
#2 THIS is the year we have to Win It. Not saying 17 or 18 is impossible, but we have had 2 awesome classes in the 4 yr cycle and decent others. But, the big deal this season is that our juniors and sophs have much greater experience than our National Title Competitors. We were forced to play so many FR from those 2 Top 5 classes ... that will pay off NOW and then we'll have another imbalance ... lots of Juniors and Seniors jumping to the NFL.

We need to WIN the SEC and make the Playoff. This will prove to recruits, parents, and HS coaches that we are back in the elite group. Searching for 25 more points next year won't cut it.

This is how Butch gets to the final phase of the rebuild. Being a proven winner that demands elite recruit's attention. That way we can reload the roster each year, redshirt great players for the future, and fill the NFL with top 2 rounds picks.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Its do or die in 2016.

Keep sticking your head in the sand trying to find outliers.

The reality is this. You need multiple top 5 recruiting classes in every 4 year cycle to win a national championship.

That's has been the trend.

If we want to get back to being an elite program, we have to continue to attract big time recruits. And the only way we can keep doing that is to win it all this year.

I don't get it either. 3 of the four teams in the CFP prove the thought that a team must be filled with 5* and top 4* to be competitive false.

I think a lot of this is driven by the need for some to brag about being high in any ranking or rating associated with football.

And seriously if the recruiting ratings are that good of a predictor, let's just cancel football - no need to play the game since we all know who is going to win anyway. Just award everything based on that.

First of all those 3 teams don't play in the SEC. In the big 12, acc, and big 10, those teams probably only had to face 1 or 2 schools that outrecruit them for talent.

But here in the SEC, there are 5-6 teams landing top 10 recruiting classes every year. If we want to compete with those teams we have to recruit at a top 5-10 level every year.

The reality is this. You need multiple top 5 recruiting classes in every 4 year cycle to win a national championship.

If we want to get back to being an elite program, we have to continue to attract big time recruits. And the only way we can keep doing that is to win it all this year.

Now I get it. Coaching doesn't matter. Just sign 5* put them on the field and they will figure out how to play with each other and overcome their egos on their own. And it doesn't matter if they fit the offensive or defensive scheme the coach is running, they are 5* they will play what they are best at and just naturally win - because after all they are the best of the best and require no coaching to win games.

Football is a TEAM sport. It takes 11 players on offense and 11 players on defense and really good special teams all aligned to the same purpose - the same goal, working together to win championships.

You can take the number 1 QB put that QB behind a really bad offensive line or pair him with receivers that can't catch the ball and guess what that number 1 QB is ineffective.

First of all those 3 teams don't play in the SEC. In the big 12, acc, and big 10, those teams probably only had to face 1 or 2 schools that outrecruit them for talent.

But here in the SEC, there are 5-6 teams landing top 10 recruiting classes every year. If we want to compete with those teams we have to recruit at a top 5-10 level every year.

Alabama, Auburn and LSU are the only 3 teams that have been in the top 10 every year over the last 4 years. Georgia was there 3 of the four, Tennessee was there 2 of the four. Tennessee plays only one of those teams year after year. I think we are good to compete for the East.

Now I get it. Coaching doesn't matter. Just sign 5* put them on the field and they will figure out how to play with each other and overcome their egos on their own. And it doesn't matter if they fit the offensive or defensive scheme the coach is running, they are 5* they will play what they are best at and just naturally win - because after all they are the best of the best and require no coaching to win games.

Football is a TEAM sport. It takes 11 players on offense and 11 players on defense and really good special teams all aligned to the same purpose - the same goal, working together to win championships.

You can take the number 1 QB put that QB behind a really bad offensive line or pair him with receivers that can't catch the ball and guess what that number 1 QB is ineffective.

It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's. It is no coincidence that success follows those who recruit well, and if you want a chance at a national title then you need a star average of at least 3.5 for all your recruiting classes.

Let's see Clemson played for the NC in 2015. The four years before that they were 9th, 17th, 15th and 15th in recruiting based on the composite team rankings.

Oklahoma was in the playoffs - four years before that they were 14th, 14th, 16th and 12th in the ratings.

/end thread

Not many will rank up. It doesn't happen that often.

It is never "stupid" to worry about recruiting and especially considering the mantra during last year's recruiting cycle was "just wait til next year when TN is loaded with stud recruits".

Whether TN HSFB is loaded this year is debatable. The fact that UT has one of the 13 4* players in state with 5 already committed to other schools.... means there's plenty to "worry" about on the recruiting front.

Its July man, we are talking about 17 year olds. And I dont buy that players dont rank up. Hell, we have had 3 stars committed and once other teams noticed them they started recruiting them and the player went to 4 without playing a single down. It happens. We have always closed strong with CBJ so I have no reason to believe it wont happen.

lol at the ultimatums. The only way. Did we win it all in the past few years to get top 5 classes? Your head hunt to get CBJ fired is beyond tiresome

Reactions: 4 people
Some folks should come with brown paper bag, standard. For breathing into when the inevitable hyperventilating occurs.

I think it is fair to say that in order for a team to make it out of the sec you have to have top 10 recruiting classes.

I think it is fair to say that in order for a team to make it out of the sec you have to have top 10 recruiting classes.

Would you also say that in July being number six is ok? Would you also say that if we don't win it all this year that we will never get another top ten class again? Because that is the sentiment in this thread for some

The only way UT stays in the top 20 with the proportions of 2*, 3*, and 4* players they have is if they drop some of the lower ranked players and replace them with 4/5* players.

Or the ratings services see what Butch and Co. sees and their stock rises. It is early - Butch knows recruiting!

lol at the ultimatums. The only way. Did we win it all in the past few years to get top 5 classes? Your head hunt to get CBJ fired is beyond tiresome

We were selling hope and early playing time. Now with playing time not so readily available and with Butch Jones being on the job for 4 years, hope isn't a selling point anymore.

The only thing left to sell now is a winning program.

We must win the SEC championship if we want to continue getting top prospects to Tennessee.

We were selling hope and early playing time. Now with playing time not so readily available and with Butch Jones being on the job for 4 years, hope isn't a selling point anymore.

The only thing left to sell now is a winning program.

We must win the SEC championship if we want to continue getting top prospects to Tennessee.

Nope, not buying it. UF does it, UGA does it, hell LSU does it. Another baseless ultimatum

Nope, not buying it. UF does it, UGA does it, hell LSU does it. Another baseless ultimatum

I don't think you realize how far this program has fallen. We're not on the same level as UF, UGA, or LSU to most recruits.

Those are programs that have been competiting for SEC and national championships the last 10 years. While we've been competiting with Vanderbilt and Kentucky to stay out of the SEC east cellar.

If you think the Tennessee brand is on the same level as Florida, Georgia, and LSU in the mind of the average 17 year old recruit, then you're delusional.

We have to win it all THIS YEAR to raise the level of our program in the eyes of recruits.

Would you also say that in July being number six is ok? Would you also say that if we don't win it all this year that we will never get another top ten class again? Because that is the sentiment in this thread for some

You have your head in the sand if you're touting our current ranking of #6 being legit. It's based solely on quantity, not quality. We currently have 23 of 25 slots verbally taken.....if the complexion of this doesn't change drastically, if all we do is add our last 2 players and go with what we currently have, we'll be much closer to #26 than #6.

Now, I don't think anyone thinks that's gonna happen. I think we're gonna tell 6-7 kids to look around and in most if not all cases replace them with a higher rated player. I also think we close with highly rated players Trey Smith, Ty Chandler and Cam Akers.

However, none of that has happened yet, and if one honestly looks at how our class is currently constituted, it's definitely cause for concern....not panic, not extreme criticism, just good old plain and simple concern.

I don't think you realize how far this program has fallen. We're not on the same level as UF, UGA, or LSU to most recruits.

Those are programs that have been competiting for SEC and national championships the last 10 years. While we've been competiting with Vanderbilt and Kentucky to stay out of the SEC east cellar.

If you think the Tennessee brand is on the same level as Florida, Georgia, and LSU in the mind of the average 17 year old recruit, then you're delusional.

We have to win it all THIS YEAR to raise the level of our program in the eyes of recruits.

The sky is falling? BS

The sky is falling? BS

The sky isn't falling. It fell 8 years ago.

We're now building ourselves back to what we used to be. But to do that we have to take the final leap toward being a champion once again.

All you guys who think that we'll get a better chance than 2016 to win the SEC are kidding yourselves.

This is our best chance. We better take advantage of it.

In an ironic twist, last year's class turned out to be one of our best.
Before we back counted the running back last week, I believe 2016 ended with the highest (or 2nd) star averge we have had.
Funny, we think we know how things will go but..

Recruiting is the life blood of any program of course.

I'm not sure what is happening but there are a few possibilities. Feel free to add your own but here's the ones I see.... or a combination of all.

Maybe kids aren't listening to Jones any more. The new car smell is gone.... early PT is gone. Some probably fit in this group.

Some probably haven't seen the program rise fast enough to keep them from looking at other new coaches or programs that have become successful (ex- Clemson). I'm not saying this is reasonable.... but with a 17 year old kid with all kinds of people in his ear... some will believe it.

Some have now seen Jones' offense and think they know what it is. I believe Jones when he says his O is flexible with the goal of good balance. But that's not really what it has looked like. It has looked run oriented. It makes people angry but Dobbs' limitations as a passer aren't helping here. WR's want the ball and the stats. Screen passes and run blocking isn't what they have in mind. I'm frankly surprised RB's aren't clamoring to play for UT.

But there are other possibilities. Jones made his living at Cincy by finding guys he could develop. His recruiting rankings in the Big East were middling or a little under. I don't know if it will work but maybe he's settling into his "norm" where he finds players that he feels he can develop, RS's them, develops them, then has them as starters in their 4th and 5th years.

OR.... maybe he's just finding players with 4/5* talent that the recruiting services have overlooked. In terms of elite talent, this isn't likely.... but it is always possible.

You have your head in the sand if you're touting our current ranking of #6 being legit. It's based solely on quantity, not quality. We currently have 23 of 25 slots verbally taken.....if the complexion of this doesn't change drastically, if all we do is add our last 2 players and go with what we currently have, we'll be much closer to #26 than #6.

Now, I don't think anyone thinks that's gonna happen. I think we're gonna tell 6-7 kids to look around and in most if not all cases replace them with a higher rated player. I also think we close with highly rated players Trey Smith, Ty Chandler and Cam Akers.

However, none of that has happened yet, and if one honestly looks at how our class is currently constituted, it's definitely cause for concern....not panic, not extreme criticism, just good old plain and simple concern.

That's exactly what in saying about being concerned about a recruiting class in July. It's all a bunch of bunk. You don't really know what you have for at least three years. There is no way this class will look like this come feb. let it play out and see what happens this season. Some fans (not you) are so worked up over nothing. And some have an agenda to have ammo to fire CBJ with lofty expectations

VN Store

Back