Team 118 Depth Chart

I'm not sure why you would want your MLB in an over front covering a C gap. You run both DT in a 2 technique and that should allow the MLB to guard both A gaps, the WLB the B gap on weak side, and the SLB the C gap on strong side. That's kind of the problem though because you can't really argue these things fully because there is multiple ways to line your DEs up which alters everything. You technically could run 7 techniques for both DEs and then 1 technique a NT and 3 technique a DT. That's kind of the fun of talking about this because there's more then one way to do these things. You seam to know more about this then I do though so I'll just shut up now and listen before I dig myself a gigantic hole.

That's not how it works. On most runs the MLB plays the C gap and the SLB overlaps outside. Only on straight ahead quick hitting plays like trap does he cover A gap. We call it lane 1 or lane 2 run. Lane 2 puts him in C strong and B weak, and it's the most common run you see. That allows the outside LBs to overlap and take on any pullers outside the DE. Also allows DEs to spill trap blocks outside to the Lb.

I teach my MLB to read flow to the flow side guard and fit in the first open gap he sees. Only on a straight ahead play would his A gap open. Most plays have people down blocking or zone blocking, which seals off those gaps with bodies. If his gap is sealed (most of the time it is) he's read us flow to flow side guard.

So if the RB heads right, I teach my MLB to go with, moving downhill and staring down the guard to that side (guards almost always pull on counter). If the guard stays home, the lb cotinues downhill and fills the first open gap.

If the guard pulls, he redirects and hits the first open gap.

Last edited:
Cam Sutton handling punt returns? I don't think it's worth injuring our best Defensive back

Why not Young,Wharton,Foreman,or Tkj

Reactions: 1 person
That's not how it works. On most runs the MLB plays the C gap and the SLB overlaps outside. Only on straight ahead quick hitting plays like trap does he cover A gap. We call it lane 1 or lane 2 run. Lane 2 puts him in C strong and B weak, and it's the most common run you see. That allows the outside LBs to overlap and take on any pullers outside the DE. Also allows DEs to spill trap blocks outside to the Lb.

I teach my MLB to read flow to the flow side guard and fit in the first open gap he sees. Only on a straight ahead play would his A gap open. Most plays have people down blocking or zone blocking, which seals off those gaps with bodies. If his gap is sealed (most of the time it is) he's read us flow to flow side guard.

So if the RB heads right, I teach my MLB to go with, moving downhill and staring down the guard to that side (guards almost always pull on counter). If the guard stays home, the lb cotinues downhill and fills the first open gap.

If the guard pulls, he redirects and hits the first open gap.

I get where you are coming from now. That makes total sense. :hi:

I get where you are coming from now. That makes total sense. :hi:

Thanks. It has to do with numbers at the point of attack. Since most teams pull linemen playside, if they pull and we run through the gap in front of us, they will have one extra player to that side.

I find it very interesting that all the starters on the offensive line are undersized and their backups are all huge.

Sounds to me like CBJ and Co. want some athleticism in the trenches.

Thanks. It has to do with numbers at the point of attack. Since most teams pull linemen playside, if they pull and we run through the gap in front of us, they will have one extra player to that side.

I'm assuming that when teams pull guard your idea here is to allow your SLB to take on that guard so your MLB can run through the open gap and make the play? Which in this case would be the C gap as you mentioned earlier. Or I guess the pull guard could take on the SDE and the SLB take on the RT.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that when teams pull guard your idea here is to allow your SLB to take on that guard so your MLB can run through the open gap and make the play?

Sort of, the MLB may get blocked, but as long as he takes it on with his outside arm free and forces the ball to the edge, we're alright:

My defense bases out of an under front with a route reading cover 4 shell behind it. I don't care who makes the tackle as long as we string the play to the sideline and don't allow the ball carrier to get vertical or cutback on us. The MLB is a big part of playing the cutback. He needs to stay on the back hip of the runner, which is why it's so important that he runs downhill at an angle instead of running straight to the sideline.

I think of the running gap from outside in. My play side corner always fits outside of the number 1 wr from the sideline, regardless of where the ball hits(a lot of big plays in the running happen when the balls hits inside and the secondary players try to go inside the blocker to get to the ball, the ball carrier than has a clear path to the sideline and it's six points. The safety to that side fits outside of the number two man from the sideline. If the slb is blocked by the number two many (FB in formation, or slot in a spread set) he wrong arms the block and spills the play to the safety. If he is blocked by anyone else he keeps his outside free and turns the play back to the MLB.

Granted the RB doesn't always cutback to the MLB. Sometimes he tries to bounce it and my safeties normally make a play at or near the line of scrimmage.

Backside lb hits the first open gap playside also, which is normally the A gap that the MLB vacated. The backside safety steps up to his alley, outside of number 2 just like he would on run to him. This keeps him in position for reverse or counter plays and behind the ball for cutback. From there the backside safety works downhill and hits cutback lane sees open up (shouldn't be a lane there unless the backside lb overruns it or a Dlineman gets hooked).

That's essentially how we play run.

Sort of, the MLB may get blocked, but as long as he takes it on with his outside arm free and forces the ball to the edge, we're alright:

My defense bases out of an under front with a route reading cover 4 shell behind it. I don't care who makes the tackle as long as we string the play to the sideline and don't allow the ball carrier to get vertical or cutback on us. The MLB is a big part of playing the cutback. He needs to stay on the back hip of the runner, which is why it's so important that he runs downhill at an angle instead of running straight to the sideline.

I think of the running gap from outside in. My play side corner always fits outside of the number 1 wr from the sideline, regardless of where the ball hits(a lot of big plays in the running happen when the balls hits inside and the secondary players try to go inside the blocker to get to the ball, the ball carrier than has a clear path to the sideline and it's six points. The safety to that side fits outside of the number two man from the sideline. If the slb is blocked by the number two many (FB in formation, or slot in a spread set) he wrong arms the block and spills the play to the safety. If he is blocked by anyone else he keeps his outside free and turns the play back to the MLB.

Granted the RB doesn't always cutback to the MLB. Sometimes he tries to bounce it and my safeties normally make a play at or near the line of scrimmage.

Backside lb hits the first open gap playside also, which is normally the A gap that the MLB vacated. The backside safety steps up to his alley, outside of number 2 just like he would on run to him. This keeps him in position for reverse or counter plays and behind the ball for cutback. From there the backside safety works downhill and hits cutback lane sees open up (shouldn't be a lane there unless the backside lb overruns it or a Dlineman gets hooked).

That's essentially how we play run.

Awesome man. Thanks for sharing the knowledge! Good luck with your coaching :rock:

Thanks man. I've been at it for 7 years now. I'm thinking about trying the college level next season.

Heck ya man! I always wanted to coach basketball, and have in the past during summer ball, but once I started perusing a higher education I realized that the time constrain is just to much. Coaching is a great way to get the competitive edge fix you look for, but it also allows you to be a part of a lot of kids lives who may not have it as well as others. Always fun learning and teaching others no matter the subject, but especially in sports.

This depth chart shows me that the competition in camp has truly been wide open at every position. I think this is good for the team and great for recruiting.

VN Store

Back