Te'a cooper

The exact same thing is true for Russell. The big difference for Coates is that teams will have to guard her 1-on-1 this year. If someone sneaks over to help, that will mean Kaela Davis or Allisha Gray will be wide open for a 3.

Russell needs that outside threat to open up her options.

Towards the end of the season, she became much more aggressive on the offensive end, she even developed a a mini jump hook. Im hoping she'll have a few more moves this year and will establish herself as an offensive threat. She also showed she's pretty good passer if her teammates will look to cut to the basket more often... offensively she's better than coates i think but youre right about coates having more offensive threats around her opening things up... it will be critical for our guards to be confident and knock down shots, at least look to score, sometimes last year it seemed like some of them were afraid to shoot.

Reactions: 1 person
Towards the end of the season, she became much more aggressive on the offensive end, she even developed a a mini jump hook. Im hoping she'll have a few more moves this year and will establish herself as an offensive threat. She also showed she's pretty good passer if her teammates will look to cut to the basket more often... offensively she's better than coates i think but youre right about coates having more offensive threats around her opening things up... it will be critical for our guards to be confident and knock down shots, at least look to score, sometimes last year it seemed like some of them were afraid to shoot.

Offensively, I think she's about the same as Coates. She may try more moves than Coates, but she doesn't do any of them as well as Coates one or two post moves. Both of them have no touch. I don't think I've seen Coates try a hook shot, and Mercedes' looks like a line drive.

Coates is in a more enviable position where she can be the 3rd or 4th scoring option. Mercedes will be 1st or 2nd for Tennessee. Mercedes needs to play more aggressively. I remember in the SC game, she had Coates with 4 fouls buried under the hoop with the ball...and she kicked it back out. She did the same thing against ND and Brianna Turner. Even if she had position on Turner, she would kick the ball back out. She needs to act like a go to player if Tennessee wants to have a better season than last year's debacle.

She is a good passer. If only her teammates would cut to the basket instead of standing around watching her get triple-teamed...

Mercedes played well down the stretch, those three players mentioned above played well with her. Early in the season, the team didn't know how to get her the ball, late in the season, her team got her the ball without turning it over.

Our team finished the season strong. I think they all will all be better.

Nared will hold her own against Wilson, if she makes her DEFEND out on the perimeter, and run her into screens, but if she stands around on offense and don't make Wilson work on defense, it cud be a long game, especially with Nared starting to take the ball to the basket, late last year.

We have time to absorb the impact of Cooper loss, if Mercedes, Diamond and Nared want to leave their mark as a Lady Vols its start this year, if two or three play like all SEC performer, we are a tough out.

Here's to a great summer for Middleton, Dunbar, Meme, Nunn, and Reynolds.

I actually dont think wilson vs nared will be a disaster. Wilson is 6'5, Nared is 6'2... Nared is athletic and has a knack for getting loose balls. If she can take away the high post and not get out rebounded too badly. We will be fine. Wilsom plays to the left side and gets put backs... doesn't seem to have very many offensive moves. Coates doesn't have an array of moves either

I agree, especially with Nared game expanding.

I'm wondering what exactly is wrong with Te'a knee bc from her snaps and IG it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I was wondering the same thing and was wondering could this be a way for them to redshirt her in case they miss out on a top PG in this class because if they were then they would have to wait until 2018 and that would be Middleton's Senior season and Te'a's junior year which would stretch us extremely thin. Not saying that she isn't injured but wondering if it is truly a season ender

Tea cooper has had nagging issues with knee lets keep in mind she was wearing an brace last year , I believe it is to clean some things up.

Nice to know that internet fans with no orthopedic training can make more insightful diagnoses using Instagram photos than Te'a's doctors can with a physical exam and MRI.

Reactions: 2 people
Offensively, I think she's about the same as Coates. She may try more moves than Coates, but she doesn't do any of them as well as Coates one or two post moves. Both of them have no touch. I don't think I've seen Coates try a hook shot, and Mercedes' looks like a line drive.

Coates is in a more enviable position where she can be the 3rd or 4th scoring option. Mercedes will be 1st or 2nd for Tennessee. Mercedes needs to play more aggressively. I remember in the SC game, she had Coates with 4 fouls buried under the hoop with the ball...and she kicked it back out. She did the same thing against ND and Brianna Turner. Even if she had position on Turner, she would kick the ball back out. She needs to act like a go to player if Tennessee wants to have a better season than last year's debacle.

She is a good passer. If only her teammates would cut to the basket instead of standing around watching her get triple-teamed...

I've never seen Coates attempt a hook shot. I've seen her take 1 jump shot (which she made) and I've seen her drive to the basket in transition twice during a game, so she can do those things.. she just doesn't for whatever reason. I've seen Russell more willing to do more offensively, which is what I like about her. I think she has more offensive range than Coates.. which is good because she's not as good on the low block as Coates. Coates will not blow you away with offensive moves but what she can do she does it well. She rebounds and gets in place for putbacks. If you let Coates get in place on the low block you may as well add two points. Russell has more of a finesse quality to her game whereas Coates actually embraces contact and gets stronger as the game goes along (which is something you don't see in a lot of college post players). To beat Coates you need to be faster than her and beat her to her spots. Make her uncomfortable. Coates is rarely completely shut down.. some nights she scores in bunches, other nights she's cleaning the glass like a madwoman. Some nights you get both. Most opposing post players are only effective at shutting down only 1 aspect of her game, but not both. The only player I know of that has been able to completely take Coates out of her game is Morgan Tuck.. Tuck was just too fast for Coates and Tuck has the best post moves of any post player I've seen in a very long time (Coates couldn't match up with those moves).

As far as Wilson vs. Nared.. I think it could be a good matchup. Nared is faster than Wilson so that'll serve her well on the perimeter and in the midrange game. Wilson's perimeter defense is understated but good for a 6'5 girl so Nared will need to use her speed to run around screens. Nared isn't a good matchup for Wilson inside. Very few people in WCBB this season will be a good matchup for Wilson inside. She's just too strong. Even more so now that Wilson is enjoying playing inside more. What makes SC most dangerous this season is that Wilson and Coates will have a lot more breathing room in the low/high post this year. I mean, you can sell out our guards and double team the paint like you could SC teams of the past.. but I don't think Cuevas/Gray/Davis are the same as Sessions/Mitchell/Dozier.

I think Davis and Deshields will be the matchup to watch when SC/Tenn play. Two electric guards with history putting on a great show hopefully.

Last edited:
Is Cooper in school? I find her situation--and Carter's too--a little strange. This is what happens when info is scarce or vague. Carter has suffered from various (minor) injuries and has pain. Cooper has injured her knee--but I've not seen a word on what she injured or if there will be surgery. Is she in school? Limping around? On crutches?

Is Cooper in school? I find her situation--and Carter's too--a little strange. This is what happens when info is scarce or vague. Carter has suffered from various (minor) injuries and has pain. Cooper has injured her knee--but I've not seen a word on what she injured or if there will be surgery. Is she in school? Limping around? On crutches?

Privacy laws severely limit what can be said about an athlete's injuries nowadays. Some players can get surgery fairly quick and others have to rehab prior to surgery in order to make sure the rest of the leg will be able to support the knee properly, especially if it is an ACL tear which is what many suspect is what happened. I believe Holly and staff know but by law can't get into too many details until surgery plans and rehab timelines are laid out (and the player give permission).

When i graduated UT several years back, I had a couple friends who went on to law school. I asked them why these injuries are kept so hush hush, and it's basically from a law passed back in 1996 called HIPPA.

Basically HIPPA, and more specifically the privacy clause of the law, was created to stop insurance companies from sharing your personal medical information and making health coverage decisions based on that info.

In tea's case, the university doctors and sports trainers are prohibited under HIPAA from discussing any details concerning her injury to the media, and even Holly and the coaching staff!! Now if tea went on and played in the wnba, those coaching staffs wouldn't be bound by Hippa and could require her to share her injury information.

So holly really might not know what's going on here, but it would be nice to know if she is enrolled and what her physical appearance is.

Last edited:

She is most definitely in school.... She posted several pics of her and several other lady vols in her preseason pics with the team.. She even commented how funny holly was during the pics.

Reactions: 2 people

Carter released her own lengthy and heartfelt statement about her decision to give up playing.

What difference can it possibly make whether Te'a is limping or not?

Your constant second-guessing of the team's injuries and their doctors' decisions is more than a little strange. You seem to feel that the players aren't entitled to any time off from playing for health reasons. Your posts in the past several years about the players being managed through the concussion protocol were just disrespectful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Carter released her own lengthy and heartfelt statement about her decision to give up playing.

What difference can it possibly make whether Te'a is limping or not?

Your constant second-guessing of the team's injuries and their doctors' decisions is more than a little strange. You seem to feel that the players aren't entitled to any time off from playing for health reasons. Your posts in the past several years about the players being managed through the concussion protocol were just disrespectful.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed. It seems like every since I joined this board a couple of years ago, that's all armchair has been about.

Reactions: 6 people
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed. It seems like every since I joined this board a couple of years ago, that's all armchair has been about.

you got to admit though, it was a strange press conference and following it has been a deafening silence in regards to details of what, why, how and future??????

How much of these injuries are because players are playing basketball year around? I wish they would go back to the old days when they played basketball during basketball season and other sports during the other seasons. That way the entire body was strengthened without over using the basketball muscles.

How much of these injuries are because players are playing basketball year around? I wish they would go back to the old days when they played basketball during basketball season and other sports during the other seasons. That way the entire body was strengthened without over using the basketball muscles.

most leg injuries I have seen are because of poor technique and poor decisions.

Do you think for a moment that orgs the stature of UT or UCONN want girls who jetison BB for soccer, volleyball and softball?

Come on now, Jeff.

The best athletes in the world are basketball players. I have worked out with footballers and baseballers in Atlanta... Once in college playing in a pickup game at UTC, I matched up with Terrell Owens and he told me that "BB kept him in shape for football."

Last edited:

VN Store

Back