Taxslayer Bowl: Kentucky vs. Georgia Tech

Lost to a good team, with a scheme that just couldn't be figured out by UK. And when you hand 7 points to them to start the game it doesn't help. Then the refs gave 3 to end the 1st and it seemed UK just couldn't ever get settled down. Finally put something together in the 4th but oh well.

Those are UGLY georgia tech uniforms. Whew. We start next year against the ramblin' wreck, eh?

Those are UGLY georgia tech uniforms. Whew. We start next year against the ramblin' wreck, eh?

They used to be worse. This was their 2012 uniforms

georgia_tech_football_uniforms.jpg

I don't know why they went away from their classic look they had through the 90s.

Just came here to post that. That's glorious.

LOL. Stoops had a point on the not winding the clock, but then to put 3 seconds on the clock was obsurb. Are they really saying it only took 2 seconds to run that play. In hind sight it didn't really mater.

LOL. Stoops had a point on the not winding the clock, but then to put 3 seconds on the clock was obsurb. Are they really saying it only took 2 seconds to run that play. In hind sight it didn't really mater.

It easily could have. It forced UK to have to go for two point conversions. Although the onside kick failed and we gave up a useless touchdown (which made the score look worse) it could have been a situation where UK would be forced to go for 2 to tie instead of having the lead. Still, it was a stupid mistake by the refs and I have no idea what the refs were trying to do.

In general this game showed Stoops' faults as coach. Players were not ready for the bowl game. They were not ready for GT's well known scheme. They looked lost throughout the first half. They didn't know how to be composed and settle down when they felt GT was playing dirty. And when the refs started being stupid, Stoops decided to throw his little temper tantrum. Stoops has a lot of room to grow as a coach.

Refs definitely screwed up the end of first half. Stoops' mistake was stopping the clock. He should have let it play out - maybe the guy misses being in a rush. If he makes it, then challenge that the ball cant be snapped in time with just 1 second on the clock. Similar to Auburn's challenge on final play of LSU game.

Refs definitely screwed up the end of first half. Stoops' mistake was stopping the clock. He should have let it play out - maybe the guy misses being in a rush. If he makes it, then challenge that the ball cant be snapped in time with just 1 second on the clock. Similar to Auburn's challenge on final play of LSU game.

The issue was the refs said he got out of bounds. He didn't. UK for some reason challenged whether he had the 1st or not, which he did. Then the refs decided to add 2 seconds which I didn't understand at all.

In general this game showed Stoops' faults as coach. Players were not ready for the bowl game. They were not ready for GT's well known scheme.

I kind of disagree with this part. You can simulate an offense to scout against, but your B team will never run it to the speed that your A team will see on gameday.

I love Stoops' fire and passion. He's growing as a coach. The team will benefit from an extra month of practice. I'm ready for August.

I kind of disagree with this part. You can simulate an offense to scout against, but your B team will never run it to the speed that your A team will see on gameday.

I love Stoops' fire and passion. He's growing as a coach. The team will benefit from an extra month of practice. I'm ready for August.

Of course you'll never have your scout team run it as well as GT. But I at least expect us to be able to force GT to use their 2nd and 3rd options. GT could have run the same dive all day. I expected us to a bit better on the defensive line. GT even dropped a ton of passes and helped us. We just looked lost. I could have understood had it been sandwiched in the schedule as a OOC game, but it was a bowl game with nearly a month to prepare. What were we teaching them since then?

And my comments weren't meant to paint Stoops as a bad coach. Just point to the fact that he's still a first time HC. He's had his good moments, and his bad. Today was bad, but I suppose credit goes to GT for simply doing their thing.

VN Store

Back