Sumlin pursuing Chavis..

dd4vols

either way, Chief gonna make bank $$

He's already making $1.3mm....and his contract expires after this season AND he has not signed an extension. Sounds like he and his agent are about to capitalize..

and to think we got Monte'd to get rid of him......

What are we paying Jancek? The SEC going crazy for DC's and their cost...

Last edited:
go back and get the Chief....

Hold on a minute!!!

Remember in 2008, we all complained that Chavis was old and he cost us games by playing the prevent defense?
Remember we said that the only reason he stayed at Tennessee so long was because no one else wanted him to be their defensive co ordinator?

I say we don't make the same mistake twice. Let him stay at L.S.U. or head to A & M.

Remember, we wished that he would go elsewhere and he did. So, we got what we wished!!!!

Reactions: 22 people
Hold on a minute!!!

Remember in 2008, we all complained that Chavis was old and he cost us games by playing the prevent defense?
Remember we said that the only reason he stayed at Tennessee so long was because no one else wanted him to be their defensive co ordinator?

I say we don't make the same mistake twice. Let him stay at L.S.U. or head to A & M.

Remember, we wished that he would go elsewhere and he did. So, we got what we wished!!!!

This! I remember "Third and Chavis"!

Our D was much improved this year, and will be SICK next year, we don't need to change any coaches on D! :rock:

Reactions: 23 people
Watching LSU-Bama this fall is why I'm glad Chief is gone, he gets scared down the stretch in tight games and throws the mustang out there to give up swaths of field in short order.

Reactions: 6 people
Watching LSU-Bama this fall is why I'm glad Chief is gone, he gets scared down the stretch in tight games and throws the mustang out there to give up swaths of field in short order.

He let several Ws ride out of town on that Mustang.

Reactions: 2 people

The thought of him back on our sidelines is causing severe discomfort in the pit of my stomach.

Chavis staying at LSU and getting a 3 year deal..that used to be unheard of for assistant coaches

LSU: Defensive coordinator John Chavis has agreed to a new three year deal worth $4 million to remain at LSU, according to Derek Ponamsky of ESPN Baton Rouge

Reactions: 1 person

It was probably his fault LSU's QB plays like a Junior High kid and the WRs drop balls. YOu have to score to win.... besides the zebras, LSU lost because of poor execution by the QB position.

I thought the D played great.

With that said, it would be a big mistake going to TAM.

It was probably his fault LSU's QB plays like a Junior High kid and the WRs drop balls. YOu have to score to win.... besides the zebras, LSU lost because of poor execution by the QB position.

I thought the D played great.

With that said, it would be a big mistake going to TAM.

(see above) he inked a new deal and it looks like he will probably retire from LSU he will be 61 at the end of the contract

Sound like a jaded Vol Fan.

I am sure it could be taken that way, but I was on the refs even in games were the zebras helped LSU. By the end of the year, I was like why do they even play the games.

At the end of the day, I call it like I see it... the other alternatives is to lie or not say anything.

With that said, I thought LSU should have closed it out by scoring when they should have, not sure what else the D could do... they held the Gumps to 13 in regulation with minimum assistance from LSU's offense. Unless Chavis was going to suit up and play QB not much else he really could have done.

The only real glaring wrong decision Chavis made is delaying Beckwith from seeing the field earlier, the defense was night and day once he was inserted, other than that it was a good season after the Auburn game.

He let several Ws ride out of town on that Mustang.

We did lose several games on lengthy final drives in the last 3 minutes with Chavis as DC ( Memphis '96, Arkansas '99, Florida '00, Georgia '01, Alabama '05, South Carolina '05, LSU '06)...but there were other factors involved in those losses besides the final drive. What still bothers me the most is switching Leonard Little from DE to LB prior to his senior season. That was inexplicable and just simply a horrible personnel move and there were others with Chavis at DC.

he also lost to Alabama at LSU the last year Alabama won it all. With a minute left he had 3 guys 30 yards off the LOS.

So the majority of the posters on here think they can evaluate a DC better then Miles, Sumlin, or Fulmer? Not to mention the numerous NFL gigs his name has popped up during his career.

So the majority of the posters on here think they can evaluate a DC better then Miles, Sumlin, or Fulmer? Not to mention the numerous NFL gigs his name has popped up during his career.

Not at all but the number of leads blown on the final drive of the game under Chavis as DC is a matter of fair criticism. It wasn't always due to the Mustang package or "prevent" (see Memphis '96) but it did happen pretty much once a year outside of '98.

Chavis was and still is a brilliant defensive mind for most of a game, however he also has proven that if he doesn't have elite talent he doesn't coach up well. One thing Monte and Wilcox could do (and that Sal sure couldn't) was use great players or schemes to hide weaker areas or make lower talent play up.

Can't say the same about Jancek just yet, if ever, because he's honestly gotten some of the best underrated talent and some very good 4th/5th year players on his side (and by underrated I mean, Barnett is a top 10 HS player if you re did rankings now) and it's looking like talent won't be a problem anytime soon.

Chavis was and still is a brilliant defensive mind for most of a game, however he also has proven that if he doesn't have elite talent he doesn't coach up well. One thing Monte and Wilcox could do (and that Sal sure couldn't) was use great players or schemes to hide weaker areas or make lower talent play up.

Can't say the same about Jancek just yet, if ever, because he's honestly gotten some of the best underrated talent and some very good 4th/5th year players on his side (and by underrated I mean, Barnett is a top 10 HS player if you re did rankings now) and it's looking like talent won't be a problem anytime soon.
It takes a very special coach to look bad with great talent

VN Store

Back