Suing a Contractor for Walking Off the Job....

Did the contractor do "the job" but just not to your satisfaction? Or did they not complete the job at all?
both, walked off the job. left us with half finished bathroom, drywall had to come down because it was done incorrectly, electrical all redone.

both, walked off the job. left us with half finished bathroom, drywall had to come down because it was done incorrectly, electrical all redone.

IDK what state you're in but have you filed a complaint with the State Contractor Board?

IDK what state you're in but have you filed a complaint with the State Contractor Board?
not yet. they require documentation be uploded. upon reading TN Dept of Commerce and Insurance website, I decided may be best to get through court date. We have most everything we need but, will take work to upload all that.

not yet. they require documentation be uploded. upon reading TN Dept of Commerce and Insurance website, I decided may be best to get through court date. We have most everything we need but, will take work to upload all that.
any written communication is going to be key. some states won't arbitrate a disagreement over verbal exchanges. depending on the state laws they may not accept what you say the communication with the contractor was. they will need writing. but if the contractor is a complete no show at the date after being served that would lead some serious credence to anything you say that happened verbally.

sadly I am thinking they have folded their LLC, and there may not be a whole lot even a court can do.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Plus the court has to believe you are a judge of Sheetrock. There are lots of reasons to redo something that aren’t “this contractor did wrong”. That has to be established in a non-stupid way.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
any written communication is going to be key. some states won't arbitrate a disagreement over verbal exchanges. depending on the state laws they may not accept what you say the communication with the contractor was. they will need writing. but if the contractor is a complete no show at the date after being served that would lead some serious credence to anything you say that happened verbally.

sadly I am thinking they have folded their LLC, and there may not be a whole lot even a court can do.
In Tennessee if they folded the LLC any profit they took out is still available for a lawsuit. But as you said it’s likely a small operation that folded with a net zero payout to its members.

Being a contractor, I hate hearing this. Seriously….how do you screw up Sheetrock.

In Tennessee if they folded the LLC any profit they took out is still available for a lawsuit. But as you said it’s likely a small operation that folded with a net zero payout to its members.

Being a contractor, I hate hearing this. Seriously….how do you screw up Sheetrock.
My thought was putting up different thickness? hanging sheets to end between studs(nothing to nail to)? Or was that not a serious question?
I had a sub put up exterior sheathing with 2 nails/sheet. No screws.

Again, i'm not a contractor. i'm relying on a friend who does this for a living. All I can do is share before and after photos. To me its day and night versus someone who knows what they're doing. It is so easy for 1 guy to do. Its crazy.

VN Store

Back