Stunning defensive statistic

ShoalCreekVol

Read this in an article on SEC Country:

"In the three games before the Vandy game, Jones’ defense had been on the field for 90 snaps more than the offense. That equates to playing four games in a three-week window, and it explains some of the defensive attrition — especially when you consider Jones plays many first-team defensive players on special teams, too."

I realize this would improve some if the defense learned how to get off the field before that other team reaches the end zone every once in a while, but I have a feeling the offense played a role in that too. I hope this is something that Coach Jones looks into with an open mind and honest reflection during the offseason, when he evaluates his offensive system to make improvements. (straight face...trying...)

LINK: https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/3-things-butch-jones-tennessee-football-to-do-list

Y'all think it's primarily bad defense or does the offensive system add to this problem?

The offensive system and its philosophy certainly lends to the defense getting gassed, injured, and ultimately breaking down late in games. However, I do blame Shoop for not being able to set the edge against the run all as well as having his secondary consistently out of position all season.

Reactions: 1 person
I would like to see the first, second down vs third down stat for the vandy game. I felt Vandy had 100 yards on first and second and 300+ on 3rd down... might have to rename 3rd and Chavis to 3rd and Shoop

I thought it was a good point. The 90 extra plays did play a roll in attrition on defense. And that many first stringers play on special teams

Reactions: 2 people
When you have depth and can rotate players, the hurry up can be your friend. When you are playing 3rd and 4th stringers, you are only hurting yourself.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree looking gassed and out position in all quarters of a game have nothing to do with an offense that puts up points fast. Says more about recruiting , S&C and scheme to me . Maybe I'm wrong .

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Slow down putting points up? Why because you wanna lose ? I really do not think you are qualified to post about actual football topics.

that you do not speed the game up unless you are better than the other team - or at least equal. I have complained since Butch got here about not running down the clock with a lead in the 4th qtr. Does not make sense to me.

Talked with a BR writer at lunch. Said Shoop's defense had given up 500 more yards this year than Sunseri's defense. Said Shoop was at odds with Jones on the fact that he couldn't bring in his own coaches this year. I expect Thig and Willie to be let go if Shoop stays.

2000 yards from the last 3 games being out up on us is all I need to know about Mr Shoop

A head coach who talks about the SEC being a "line of scrimmage league" that signs 6 DT prospects in 3 years is the bigger problem than the pace of the game.

Reactions: 3 people
I would like to see the first, second down vs third down stat for the vandy game. I felt Vandy had 100 yards on first and second and 300+ on 3rd down... might have to rename 3rd and Chavis to 3rd and Shoop

Vandy killed them on 3rd and long.....no pressure at all and big plays by Vandy.

Shoop has proven to me to be all talk.

Reactions: 2 people
Talked with a BR writer at lunch. Said Shoop's defense had given up 500 more yards this year than Sunseri's defense. Said Shoop was at odds with Jones on the fact that he couldn't bring in his own coaches this year. I expect Thig and Willie to be let go if Shoop stays.

I'd rather cut Shoop. If they are like him and the scoreboard will need a third digit

Going 3 and out with a fast paced offense is what kills our defense. However, I don't feel like we had a lot of that this year - definitely last year. I haven't looked at the stats, but that is a gut feeling. The primary factor in 90 more snaps is our defense sucks and can't stop anyone. If they forced some 3 and outs, the 90 snaps would have reduced significantly.

"In the three games before the Vandy game, Jones’ defense had been on the field for 90 snaps more than the offense. That equates to playing four games in a three-week window, and it explains some of the defensive attrition — especially when you consider Jones plays many first-team defensive players on special teams, too."

I realize this would improve some if the defense learned how to get off the field before that other team reaches the end zone every once in a while, but I have a feeling the offense played a role in that too. I hope this is something that Coach Jones looks into with an open mind and honest reflection during the offseason, when he evaluates his offensive system to make improvements. (straight face...trying...)

LINK: https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/3-things-butch-jones-tennessee-football-to-do-list

Y'all think it's primarily bad defense or does the offensive system add to this problem?

I'm not sure offense plays a huge role like it does at A'M or Oregon. We don't run the uptempo fast pace many other teams run...If we were fast paced and running 100+ offensive plays a game I say yes definitely but we don't do that and rarely go uptempo more than a few series a game at most. Think a lot of it is Shoop wasn't allowed to bring his own coach's that know his system and know how to teach the players what he expects from them..That and injuries played a huge part and I would hope Butch allows him to hire his own guys this off season. Martinez is a huge casualty coaching the secondary..Thig I could take or leave.. Stripling seems to do a good job but if Shoop wants his own DLine Coach then let him have him. No defensive coach is elite and couldn't be replaced so I let Shoop bring in whoever he wants and trusts. And don't get me started on the offensive Coach's..outside of Scott and Gillespie they would all be replaced.

Good insight...that being said, IF we actually ran a hurry up offense, it could definitely be a factor. Hurry up to UT means QB clap 2 times and team stands up and looks to sidelines like meerkats checking if predators are close by, and snap the ball with 10 seconds left on clock. However, when we did actually officially "hurry up", it looked like we hurried too much, and not everyone on same page...usually resulted in a stuffed run or out-of-sync pass. Too many times our D got drives extended b/c of ill-timed extending penalties...probably most frequent penalty being interference on DB not turning their head defending a pass. Common theme for all above topics is coaching fundamentals.

We are paying Shoop 1.15 million per season for this ineffective defense he has fielded consisting of 1,980 yards allowed and 118 points in the last 3 games. I'm fairly confident any area high school coach could have done that well....

VN Store

Back