students have bought less than 7500 tix

A guy brought up a good theory to me at work about student attendance. I was gone before they started charging (which is BS). He blames it on the Hope Scholarship. He said students now go to UTK because it is the best bang for their buck and not because they bleed orange.

Don't knock the Hope Scholarship. It is the most positive attempt to try to educated our children without using more tax dollars. The future of our Nation depends on producing a well educated population which Congress doesn't seem to want to support. However, out of our of 26,000-28,000 students, one would expect that student tickets for the Georgia game would have been gobbled up as soon as they become available. Back when I was @ at UT, the Greeks would almost require their members to go to the ball games. I guess the current college society on the Hill has different priorities which does not include School spirit and support for the one sport which provides support for almost all the other sports as well as donations to the Tennessee academics. Our kids and grand kids have their own agenda.

Reactions: 1 person
A guy brought up a good theory to me at work about student attendance. I was gone before they started charging (which is BS). He blames it on the Hope Scholarship. He said students now go to UTK because it is the best bang for their buck and not because they bleed orange.

His theory is wrong. Most students (outside of hardcore sports fans) do not bleed orange before coming to UTK. They learn to bleed orange during their time here. You can say the same thing he said and just replace 'hope scholarship' with 'out of state tuition' which has been around forever.

I agree VOLINVONORE about kids having different agendas now. Could we possibly see a decline in overall sports interest in the next 10 to 20 years? Wouldn't surprise me at all.

It'd be shady, but students on here could each get 2 guest tickets and sell them to people on here for the face value. Since they're not selling to our bum student body.

That's what I am doing, thank God for old fraternity brothers back in Law School.

I will show the student section how we used to roll in 2003-2007.

I will be in section H.

How long does it take a student to walk or stagger from their dorm, frat house, or apartment close to campus? LOL some of us drive 3hrs to come to every home game- I know there are others that come farther than that.. what in hell is wrong with our students? If they can buy booze or a little something else, they can buy tickets!!!! You see them walking around with cases of beer, along with their short skirted cowboy boot wearing trophy gf's.. and hey, they might just have the money to hit the Carousel later that night. :birgits_giggle:

GO VOLS..
GO BIG ORANGE .. :rock:

Make that 6 hours:rock: (I will admit I don't make every game though).

i can remember going to 3:30 games. we would get back to an apartment, call in a pizza order, and take a shower. the pizza would arrive soon after and we would miss, at the most, the first few minutes of the espn primetime game that night.

then, after that it would be around 10 or so and we'd go out and party somewhere.

god, it was beautiful.

3:30 games really are the best. Late enough where you can show up to tailgate around 9 or 10 AM and still get in 5 hours of tailgating glory. Then the game ends early enough to do what you detailed and still have a wild night out at the bars.

I need to go back in time 10 years or get my doctorate or something.

Although I have bought a ticket and will be attending the game, I don't blame my fellow students. It is definitely hard to get excited for a team that hasn't shown up for years, especially for those that aren't diehard fans. :ermm:

They don't go because there is no wifi and cell service sucks. Why go to a game if you can't stare at your phone all game long. Besides they would have to actually go outside, something they never did as kids unlike previous generations.

"What a great play, I need to snapchat that to my girl back in the dorms...oh wait no service!

I'm never going to a game again!"

Our activity fee covered all of out tickets. And the dreaded line waiting for tix on Monday morning. That FLA game in 1994 line wrapped around student center, down to "spam can" and up the Hill. These kids are spoiled!

activity fee never covered football tickets

UT was one of the last to charge. It's there, get over it

Hard to buy football tickets against $30,000 or so in student loan debt. By the empty seats you see across college football, I would guess attendance is down across all segments most everywhere. Tennessee being a low wage state doesn't help either.

The reason why is because of the money. End of story. Even if it is 1 dollar, students would be showing up less. It is a slap in the face to the student body. Attending a college should mean you get to attend sporting events free of charge.

Reactions: 2 people
How does a person who refuses to attend even a free Vols game (1) find VolNation, and (2) decide to start an account?

activity fee never covered football tickets

UT was one of the last to charge. It's there, get over it

Are you sure about that. I remember getting a card that had about 100 numbers and each one was an activity on campus...plays, exhibits, and ball games. You had to have an activities card to get tickets and the cards were punched.

I was there from 90-94.

I agree VOLINVONORE about kids having different agendas now. Could we possibly see a decline in overall sports interest in the next 10 to 20 years? Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Actually basketball attendance is always good, it has to so with the programs perception, I personally love football but basketball games are way more fun to go to because of the atmosphere.

They are more concerned about the number of followers they have on Twitter than who wins a football game.

Are you sure about that. I remember getting a card that had about 100 numbers and each one was an activity on campus...plays, exhibits, and ball games. You had to have an activities card to get tickets and the cards were punched.

I was there from 90-94.

I remember the card too but the fee was not to cover football tickets.

in the end it's $70-80 per year. Anyone using the cost is just looking for an excuse

in the end it's $70-80 per year. Anyone using the cost is just looking for an excuse

The fee, as I've heard, only covers womens' sports. I'm unsure if the basketball program is finally profitable, but I wouldn't be surprised. Football basically funds all the athletics, though.

Alienating the students was a great move by Hamilton. Not only has he created a half filled student section, but he also reduced future alumni funding from those who might have become fans had they been enticed into attending games while they were students.

The damage done by this man is just mindblowing.

Alienating the students was a great move by Hamilton. Not only has he created a half filled student section, but he also reduced future alumni funding from those who might have become fans had they been enticed into attending games while they were students.

The damage done by this man is just mindblowing.

We're just like everyone in the SEC not named South Carolina and Vanderbilt. I think the students are just acting like spoiled little asses.

The fee, as I've heard, only covers womens' sports. I'm unsure if the basketball program is finally profitable, but I wouldn't be surprised. Football basically funds all the athletics, though.

that was my understanding too. Instead of saying women's sports they just tag them non-revenue producing since it may help a couple of mens teams too

Winning solves everything

Winning doesn't solve fair weather fans... it just provides them cover.

This is absolutely pathetic and even more so considering Jones appealed to the student body to support the team.

I guess just sell them to UGA fans, huh? That'd show the world how "great" Vol fans are.

I really had no idea it came to basically $10 per game... that's even more pathetic.

I really had no idea it came to basically $10 per game... that's even more pathetic.

It's not basically...every game is $10. Every game.

$10.

2 drinks at Tin Roof.

2.5 12-packs of coke.

2 Big Macs, a Large drink, and a Large fry.

VN Store

Back