Student Section

I don't get it. At the very least this team has the potential to be special in the coming years. I think it's exciting to watch the progression and see the team develop.

However it's not like they aren't competitive now, for crying out loud.

Agree with the concern...at a game last year, almost the entire student section wore black (it was not an announced blackout or anything) and they sat the whole game only to get up at half time and chant something about being volnation. Although spirited, they made absolutely no impact on the game. :D

I've never seen so many excuses for students not attending games. We used to have to camp out just to get tickets to the big games in Stokley. It's just a different generation. Too many other things to do. All SEC schools are experiencing the same thing, lack of student support. Outside of KY of course

There were like 3 people in the student section yesterday. Even last week at the Georgia game I went to, there was barely any student support. I don't understand why no one cares. You would think we were 7-19 based on how many show up. What gives?

It isn't just the student section. Where is everybody?

And don't say that this is comparing apples to oranges because students get "free tickets". Anyone who contends students get free tickets hasn't paid tuition in some time.

Just because they don't pay for them explicitly doesn't mean the fees ain't layered in.

With how pathetic turnout is this year (student and nons-student, alike), the sentiment goes both ways.

This is all a load of crap. The vast majority of Tennessee fans don't attend basketball games, and it's ridiculous to hold the students to a different standard. Basketball is just less popular, in the same way that all the other university sports besides football are even less popular than basketball. You're going to blame a bunch of college kids for not being interested in basketball?

I don't recall basketball fandom and devotion to supporting the tiny number of college athletes in high profile sports being a requirement to attend the university. UT is a school, not a holding camp for fans. Basketball is only one tiny portion of life at UT.

If you're truly concerned about attendance, buy season tickets for your family and all your friends and put your own butts in the seats. Some of you people can literally b**** about anything...

Reactions: 3 people
This is all a load of crap. The vast majority of Tennessee fans don't attend basketball games, and it's ridiculous to hold the students to a different standard. Basketball is just less popular, in the same way that all the other university sports besides football are even less popular than basketball. You're going to blame a bunch of college kids for not being interested in basketball?

I don't recall basketball fandom and devotion to supporting the tiny number of college athletes in high profile sports being a requirement to attend the university. UT is a school, not a holding camp for fans. Basketball is only one tiny portion of life at UT.

If you're truly concerned about attendance, buy season tickets for your family and all your friends and put your own butts in the seats. Some of you people can literally b**** about anything...

This.

The student and overall attendance 100% perfectly reflects the quality of a 14-12 season. I don't know wtf all you holier than thou critics expect. Seriously, basketball is a B-list sport at UT and the state of the program has been in rough shape for the past 3 years. I went to a lot of games when I was in school during the Pearl era, but you bet your ass that most students either A) didn't go to basketball games, or B) attended sparsely. That's just the way it is. Think about it this way: this VN site has something like 50k+ members. How many of those care about UT bball enough to even come to this forum and discuss?

Bottom line, chill the hell out about the students, come back to reality, and try to imagine weighing the options of seeing a mediocre (albeit excitingly overachieving) UT team versus typical college social stuff and/or schoolwork. There's plenty of stuff to complain about concerning UT basketball, but whining about student attendance is not even worth discussing. We are a very small chunk of hardcore UT bball fans, but most people are going to be relatively apathetic about it unless we're winning more.

Reactions: 1 person
*15-12, my mistake.

Coincidentally, I'm going to the Vandy game on Wednesday, and I'm a little embarrassed to say that it will be my first game since I was in school 3 years ago. GBO!

I'm a Millennial

to lump all millennials into one category tells more about you than insults millennials IMO. (I saw a guy in the recruiting forum (I believe) complaining about acronyms, so: IMO = "in my opinion")

* I promise I won't cry about anything that was said about my generation and will also respectfully decline your offering of a safe space

And to add, it's not millennials that are the problem, it's the new generation z

This generation is very different from those in the past. It just is. Every generation is affected differently as evident in choices of music, clothing, entertainment, etc. Things were a lot simpler in past generations. As technology advanced from radio to TV to internet to smart phones, etc each generation's interests are evolving into different areas. Sports to this generation may be just not as important as it use to be. There are many more things to do these days compared to years past. Just saying.

Last edited:
We could try this:

C5MwyweXAAAaYhw.jpg

Nonetheless. They wear their hair long, they play their music loud, and they take shortcuts across the lawn. There's drinking....and the other thing. Mmmhmm.

Yep, we're far from the only school where student attendance is down. And Wake and Pitt are both basketball schools...

Pitt is kind of debatable. They've been better at basketball the past 40 years but I think they still consider themselves a football school.

I think this is pretty much true across the board. First, UT is a football school. Second, there are a lot things going on that students would rather do. That's just the facts. They would rather party before a boxing event than go to a hoops game. Hell, a lot of them miss the football games too because they're still partying. You just don't see it as much because we are a football school and there are only so many seats to be filled. However, UT has traditionally had one of the better hoops attendances than any SEC school not named Ky. Win more and it'll get better. We'll not ever care about hoops as much as the blue bloods of hoops. We just won't. Not unless the AD really invests in it and we go on an incredible run for years. I don't see that happening.

Pearl used to recruit bodies at the student center, food courts, and greek houses, and even Cuonzo did some of that. Barnes otoh is strictly focused on the 14-15 students in his care and doesn't appear too worried about the rest.

VN Store

Back