Student Section at Neyland Stadium Change

We do get charged an activity fee...then we pay to go to football games, which makes no sense but you can't argue with the big orange screw.

FWIW ... as an alumnus and season ticket holder, I got a survey from UT this year. They asked about improving the game day experience (other than the obvious, i.e. winning again and upgrades to the bathrooms for us regular folks). My comment was they needed to make it easier for the students to attend. Nothing improves the atmosphere in Neyland like a well represented student body. Told them they should go back to giving students tickets as part of the activity fee like they did in the
70's.

Reactions: 1 person
FWIW ... as an alumnus and season ticket holder, I got a survey from UT this year. They asked about improving the game day experience (other than the obvious, i.e. winning again and upgrades to the bathrooms for us regular folks). My comment was they needed to make it easier for the students to attend. Nothing improves the atmosphere in Neyland like a well represented student body. Told them they should go back to giving students tickets as part of the activity fee like they did in the
70's.

As a current student, I want to thank you! most on here just complain about how students suck, don't care, don't show up, etc.

It gets kind of annoying (especially to us hardcore Vols), because we can't do much about it. It's hard to convince some friends (who didn't grow up fans or just aren't big fans) to pay to go see a game when more times than not we lose.

We need more ways to invite in the not-hardcore-vol-fan students to the games and make it a better environment so they want to keep coming back both during school and after graduation

In that case, charge them face value.

that's ridiculous. You would see how empty Neyland can be if you charge students 50-70 bucks/game.

I couldn't afford but to attend maybe 2 of the games if that were the case (against big teams), so every other game would be extremely empty

I heard Hart on the radio yesterday and I honestly feel that he is aware of the fan experience and is looking for ways to improve it. I think keeping the students at the forefront is paramount to the gameday atmosphere.

It looks horrible on TV to see a "full" stadium except for huge pockets of empty seats in the student section.

that's ridiculous. You would see how empty Neyland can be if you charge students 50-70 bucks/game.

I couldn't afford but to attend maybe 2 of the games if that were the case (against big teams), so every other game would be extremely empty
Would it be any more ridiculous then wasting great seats on students who don't even care enough to go to the game because "we suck?" I'd buy some season tickets over where the students get to sit for $10 bucks. Maybe the students can sit under the jumbotron or something.

Would it be any more ridiculous then wasting great seats on students who don't even care enough to go to the game because "we suck?"

I'd buy some season tickets over where the students get to sit for $10 bucks. Maybe the students can sit under the jumbotron or something.

The seats not bought by students aren't wasted because if students don't buy them, they go on sale to the public.

Of course you would. I would too once I graduate and become a season ticket holder.

The seats not bought by students aren't wasted because if students don't buy them, they go on sale to the public.

Of course you would. I would too once I graduate and become a season ticket holder.
Selling them to the public a week before is not the same as selling them as season tickets. I'm all for the students sitting down there if they show up and make some noise. That just hasn't been the case for a long time. One game a year doesn't cut it. Just seems like a waste to me. Decrease the allotment for students and sell more season tickets in that area. That way the university makes more money, the students that want to go, can go and it doesn't look pathetic as far as attendance.

As a current student, I want to thank you! most on here just complain about how students suck, don't care, don't show up, etc.

It gets kind of annoying (especially to us hardcore Vols), because we can't do much about it. It's hard to convince some friends (who didn't grow up fans or just aren't big fans) to pay to go see a game when more times than not we lose.

We need more ways to invite in the not-hardcore-vol-fan students to the games and make it a better environment so they want to keep coming back both during school and after graduation

Your welcome. I doubt that my opinion will sway the bean counters. IMO student attendance is key. They bring a special energy to the stadium and any UT sporting event for that matter. One thing has not changed over the decades ... as a student, financial resources are limited. A ticket to a school athletic event should be covered under the activity fee. We weren't exactly setting the conference on fire during my days, but because we got a ticket and it was first come, first served, you better believe we all stood in line at the Student Center to get our ticket before they ran out.

I live in Raleigh right now and went to the NC State/Clemson game this year. The NC State students were really involved with specific cheers and what not. They also had seating in the first 20 or so rows of each end zone. I think this would be a great move, albeit unrealistic at Tennessee.

In Philly Eagles stadium you must sit during plays. You risk bodily harm if you don't and I mean lots of bodily harm.

You also have to be quiet when the O is on the field and loud for the D. These rules are enforced.

Who cares?

I don't believe the entire lower bowl will be the student section! The student section runs from around section f through section k. Maybe even a little larger than that. However, there is not a student ticket allotment for every student at UT. There might be anywhere from 8,000 to 12,000 tickets allowed for students. The entire lower bowl from one end of the stadium to the other probably seats somewhere around 65,000 people......most of those are season ticket holders. So, the entire lower bowl becoming the student section is absolute HOGWASH!!!!

VN Store

Back