Stopping Gurley

usce didn't stop him.. almost 7 yards per carry isn't stopping an rb.. if not for a bad referee call to take a 54 yard touchdown off the board for gurley he would have been close to 200 yards. btw here are the average yards per carry:

#UGA's backfield, yards per carry:
17.8 - Isaiah McKenzie
10.3 - Sony Michel
9.8 - Todd Gurley
9.5 - Nick Chubb
8.8 - Quayvon Hicks

The vol's will not stop UGA's running game and it's doubtful they can slow it down.

Easy now. I was at the Troy game watching UGA pad those stats against one of the worst college defenses I've ever seen in my life.

And I might be crazy, but I'm not sure y'all have faced an average defense yet. SC has looked very suspect. (Crossing my fingers that we can be average).

This one comes down to our secondaries ability to play man coverage effectively. So we can focus on stuffing the run. If our guys can do that we have better than a good chance at upsetting UGA.

I'm thinking Marshall is out. Jts this Sony kid I'm afraid of.

I laughed as UGA put Michel and McKenzie out there in the Wildcat on Saturday. It was nothing more than putting plays on film to screw with the Tennessee defensive staff.

Reactions: 1 person
Easy now. I was at the Troy game watching UGA pad those stats against one of the worst college defenses I've ever seen in my life.

And I might be crazy, but I'm not sure y'all have faced an average defense yet. SC has looked very suspect. (Crossing my fingers that we can be average).

Are you saying that USC and CU(the team that took #1 to the wire) D's aren't even average?

usce didn't stop him.. almost 7 yards per carry isn't stopping an rb.. if not for a bad referee call to take a 54 yard touchdown off the board for gurley he would have been close to 200 yards. btw here are the average yards per carry:

17.8 - Isaiah McKenzie
10.3 - Sony Michel
9.8 - Todd Gurley
9.5 - Nick Chubb
8.8 - Quayvon Hicks

The vol's will not stop UGA's running game and it's doubtful they can slow it down.

USCe slowed it down enough for the win and I think Tn D is better than USCe. Ga might have 400 yds but UGAs D will give up as many. Ga D isn't slowing anybody but Troy down. Take those numbers back to the mutt board.

Honestly the best way to stop Gurley and the others is to jump up on the scoreboard early. Force them to throw it downfield, Georgia is not a team built to play from behind.

You hit Gurley on every play whether he has the ball or not. Vols did this to Bo Jackson back in the day and shut him down. By the 3rd quarter or so he didn't want anymore.

Are you saying that USC and CU(the team that took #1 to the wire) D's aren't even average?

It's early yet ...... but SC is last in the SEC in total defense and giving up 480 yards per game. Something obviously isn't working.

And I'm pretty sure FSU would've rather played a certain QB against Clemson.

All I'm saying is UGA has an awesome running game, but let's not pretend they've been facing the Seattle Seahawks every week.

There's being a homer and then there's you.
Im all about being optimisTic about things but you seriously think we won't slow it down? We are a lot better on d than previous years give us a little credit.

your defense has faced one legit team and nothing more. your defense is below average and I am no more homer than you are. if you really think that the vols are going to stop Gurley there isn't much to say that your fandom won't get in the way of discussing it... i am sure you are also someone who though you would go into oklahoma and leave with a victory too right?

your defense has faced one legit team and nothing more. your defense is below average and I am no more homer than you are. if you really think that the vols are going to stop Gurley there isn't much to say that your fandom won't get in the way of discussing it... i am sure you are also someone who though you would go into oklahoma and leave with a victory too right?

Your point? We're second in the nation on 3rd down defense. We held Oklahoma to 3 of 12 3rd down conversions. If that's bad, I don't wanna be good.

Huge liability in a game like ours though.

He doesn't even need to play for them to still have an elite running game. Can't figure why a kid who just had thumb surgery even dresses out for a few weeks. Shouldn't they hold him out til he doesn't have to play with a club wrapping on his hand? Weird.

He doesn't even need to play for them to still have an elite running game. Can't figure why a kid who just had thumb surgery even dresses out for a few weeks. Shouldn't they hold him out til he doesn't have to play with a club wrapping on his hand? Weird.
I agree, I was wondering the same thing. It's not like the kid was needed ... unless there is something going on we don't know about yet ...

It blew my mind that they gave him carries while up by 50 last week.

Gurley and the UGA RBs in general are quicker than most. I think our LBs need at least to be one stride deeper than usual to keep their angles for tackles. Most of the time when Gurley gets through its due to the LBs not being there, not necessarily due to blocks, but they arent fast enough to get there in the hole, keep him to 3 and 4 yards, hit the RB in the mouth every play whether they have the ball or not, bring the pain as long as there is time on the clock.

I laughed as UGA put Michel and McKenzie out there in the Wildcat on Saturday. It was nothing more than putting plays on film to screw with the Tennessee defensive staff.
I thought the same thing, but you defense the wildcat the same way no matter who is in the formation which is what I thought was funny, like our staff has never seen if previously.

How good of a job will we do with Todd Gurley this Saturday against UGA? I've been really impressed with the improvements in our defense this year. Our secondary is so much better and I think it's really helping our LB's to be more effective in the run game. I can't wait to see AJ Johnson light up Gurley. However, UGA's Gurley is one of the best RB's, so how do you think we'll stack up?

we need to wrap him up and not dive at his feet expecting him to fall. Then the orange swarm has to attack all game.

17.8 - Isaiah McKenzie
10.3 - Sony Michel
9.8 - Todd Gurley
9.5 - Nick Chubb
8.8 - Quayvon Hicks

I really really don't like you at all

VN Store

Back