Star watchers

If you expect us to keep pace with UK in recruiting, you'll be perpetually disappointed.

Its like a UK fan expecting Mark Stoops to stay on par with Nick Saban. How realistic do you think that is?

And as another poster stated, those lowly three stars beat the mighty Wildcats, chock full of five star talent, by 30 in a game that wasn't even that close.

Don't have to be like cal but I feel we should be a top 20-25 class and get most of our players from the top 100.

One victory in the regular season doesn't mean a lot when we are in the nit.

It is true that a handful of 3*s end up being superstars, but most don't end up like Steph Curry. However, there are many 3*s on mid-major and high-major programs that become solid contributors, fan favorites, glue guys and program builders. For the most part, all teams need those guys, but typically you still need some 4* and 5* guys to truly compete for championships (I'm also willing to admit there are exceptions).

I always hope these threads are about a comet, eclipse, or something. Always disappointed too.

Michigan State is a great example of proving you don't have to top 10 classes every year to compete at the highest level. Over the last 10 years Michigan State has an average class ranking of about 25....

So what have those 10 recruiting classes produced:

*10 NCAA appearances
* 7 Sweet 16s
* 4 Elite 8s
* 3 Final Fours

Reactions: 2 people
You know the last time I saw one of these threads....it was in the football forum backing up dooleys recruiting classes.

Dooley never beat a ranked team...CCM has. Dooley never beat Florida...CCM hasn't been beaten by them.

Reactions: 1 person
Michigan State is a great example of proving you don't have to top 10 classes every year to compete at the highest level. Over the last 10 years Michigan State has an average class ranking of about 25....

*10 NCAA appearances
* 7 Sweet 16s
* 4 Elite 8s
* 3 Final Fours

Consistently in the top 20 with his recruiting classes and consistently getting top 100 guys.....that's exactly what you need to do

Consistently in the top 20 with his recruiting classes and consistently getting top 100 guys.....that's exactly what you need to do

They aren't what I would consider consistently in the top 20, that was my point. They were top 20.......6 out of 10 years.

One victory in the regular season doesn't mean a lot when we are in the nit.

I think you're smart enough to know that's not the parallel I was trying to draw.

Of course you want to recruit the highest regarded players. I'm just not willing to concede defeat because we haven't thus far. CCM has made his bed, so I'm willing to let him lie in it before casting judgement.

Given the full set of circumstances, he's about right where I expected him to be at this point. Where he goes from here is pretty much all on him as the majority of these guys are his players now.

Clearly, you can play at a high level with 3 star players. But you really have to have a GREAT coach to do so - like Izzo, Brad Stevens, etc. CCM has yet to prove to me that he brings any great advantage as a coach. He's still young, so he can improve. But, so far, he looks like a guy who will be as good as his talent, not a guy who "can take his and beat you and take yours and beat you."

This recruiting class is a perfect example and opportunity for CCM. It's the kind of class Buzz would bring in and couldn't get into the tournament. Pearl took that same talent to a No. 2 seed.

*10 NCAA appearances
* 7 Sweet 16s
* 4 Elite 8s
* 3 Final Fours

They aren't what I would consider consistently in the top 20, that was my point. They were top 20.......6 out of 10 years.

From 2003 till 2013......he was top 15 4 yrs....number 6 once, 22 once.....had two bad recruiting classes in 2005, and 2013....his 2009 class had two top 100 players in it( not sure why it wasn't ranked.....even through all that I bet he avg close to two top 100 players a recruiting class.

From 2003 till 2013......he was top 15 4 yrs....number 6 once, 22 once.....had two bad recruiting classes in 2005, and 2013....his 2009 class had two top 100 players in it( not sure why it wasn't ranked.....even through all that I bet he avg close to two top 100 players a recruiting class.

As I said, he has 6 top 20 classes out of 10 classes, average class rank around 25.

As I said, he has 6 top 20 classes out of 10 classes, average class rank around 25.

What you need to do is average top 20/25 with a top 10 class sprinkled in ever four years. That's the perfect mix for a non traditional power school. That's the track Pearl had Tennessee on. You can't have long term success - unless you are an amazing coach - recruiting every class in the 30 and up range.

Reactions: 1 person
I just hope that CCM raises his level of recruiting standards. No more Washpuns and at this point no more Reeses. I'm sure they are fine young men ... playing in a Conference more relegated to their talent level. SEC is a different level. Now that CCM has had two tours I think he knows.

So when your theory feels quickly result to Martin bashing...gotcha.

I'm guessing that u meant fails instead of feels lol....it doesn't fail......here is his recruiting classes:

2003: 3, 65
2004: 21, 68, 123
2005: 116, 136
2006: 33, 54, 117
2007: 33, 38, 56
2008: 24, 98, 123
2009: 69, 75
2010: 20,38,115
2011: 20,95, 127
2012: 25,81,83,113
2013: 125

That gives him 20 top 100 players or two per 10 yr, and 9 other top 150 players in the 10 yr period. When I say consistent it means making it more times than not which he did......I consider all his recruiting classes to be good classes besides 2005 and 2013. He has made his living inside the top 100.

It's not bashing Martin, i hold every ut coach to the same standards and expect higher rated classes from our football team.

Stars matter to a certain extent (UK has obviously gotten better since the recruiting started). But 3 star players are important too. Generally they get to stay 3+ years and develop. Lots of 3 stars have the potential to be great players, it's just a matter of getting playing time and being able to get better and better each year.

I just hope that CCM raises his level of recruiting standards. No more Washpuns and at this point no more Reeses. I'm sure they are fine young men ... playing in a Conference more relegated to their talent level. SEC is a different level. Now that CCM has had two tours I think he knows.

He hasn't signed any of those type of players this year.

Stars matter to a certain extent (UK has obviously gotten better since the recruiting started). But 3 star players are important too. Generally they get to stay 3+ years and develop. Lots of 3 stars have the potential to be great players, it's just a matter of getting playing time and being able to get better and better each year.

Aka josh Richardson.

VN Store

Back