Stanford’s Bryce Love

While we're talking RBs:

Bama's Damien Harris is averaging over 11 yards per carry thru 4 SEC games. He only gets around 10 or 11 carries a game, so he's not going to be in any award conversations, but dude has been fantastic so far.

While we're talking RBs:

Bama's Damien Harris is averaging over 11 yards per carry thru 4 SEC games. He only gets around 10 or 11 carries a game, so he's not going to be in any award conversations, but dude has been fantastic so far.
I’ll need to hear the results of D4H’s eye test before I can say he’s worth a ****.

Reactions: 1 person
Its funny that people even feel they are comprable. Bryce Love is a lil scat back with elite speed. Dime a dozen type of player.

Saquon Barkley is 5'11" 225 lbs and runs like Barry Sanders at that size. He's once in a lifetime.

Bryce Love could run for 3000 yards and he wouldn't compare to Saquon Barkley.

Barry Sanders averaged 7.6 ypc on 30 carries per game. There is no comparison in rushing ability.

Why would you compare Love to Barkley when Love would be doing something Barkley could never do?

If Barkley were that great, he'd have more than two 100 yard games. JFC

Its funny that people even feel they are comprable. Bryce Love is a lil scat back with elite speed. Dime a dozen type of player.

Sure, guys rushing for 1387y in 7 games for a P5 team are lying around everywhere. I had to kick two out of the way just get to my car this morning.

Reactions: 2 people
While we're talking RBs:

Damien Harris is another nobody when it comes to NFL prospects. Which is normal for RBs at Alabama. IMO the guy with the best NFL skill set in Bama's backfield is Scarborough but he's a huge injury risk.

If I thought Scarborough could stay healthy he would 3rd on my list of RBs in the 2018 draft.

1. Saquon Barkley
2. Ronald Jones II
3. Bo Scarborough (if he could stay healthy)
4. John Kelly

Last edited:
I’ll need to hear the results of D4H’s eye test before I can say he’s worth a ****.

Harris is a nobody at the next level. I like him personally cause he seems like a nice kid but he has no elite attribute as a RB. Not very explosive. Not very elusive. Not very powerful. He benefits from all the talent around him and those gigantic holes. I wouldn't draft him at all. Undrafted free agent caliber player IMO.

Damien Harris is another nobody when it comes to NFL prospects. Which is normal for RBs at Alabama. IMO the guy with the best NFL skill set in Bama's backfield is Scarborough but he's a huge injury risk.

If I thought Scarborough could stay healthy he would 3rd on my list of RBs in the 2018 draft.

1. Saquon Barkley
2. Ronald Jones II
4. John Kelly

Scarborough is a poor mans Derrick Henry. A guy you said would be a nobody. Jones? Lol. He is another Kelvin Taylor. Talented at the college level, but probably will struggle to find a starting job in the NFL.

Harris is a nobody at the next level. I like him personally cause he seems like a nice kid but he has no elite attribute as a RB. Not very explosive. Not very elusive. Not very powerful. He benefits from all the talent around him and those gigantic holes. I wouldn't draft him at all. Undrafted free agent caliber player IMO.
Thanks for the insight.

1. Saquon Barkley
2. Ronald Jones II
4. John Kelly

Harris is the best back in the SEC this year, and that's all that matters at the moment.

As for your assessment: do you think Harris is the kind of guy that might go in the 6th round, sit on a couple of practice squads during his rookie year, get cut by another couple of teams during the next off-season, and then be sitting at home by the time year 2 begins? You know? Just a guy?

Last edited:

Saquon Barkley is 5'11" 225 lbs and runs like Barry Sanders at that size. He's once in a lifetime.

Bryce Love could run for 3000 yards and he wouldn't compare to Saquon Barkley.

If you truly want to talk about “once-in-a-lifetime” players, you are treading on Jim Brown’s territory. He was the prototype for Hershel Walker and Bo Jackson, but he was TWENTY-FIVE years ahead of them. At 6-2, 232 pounds, Brown was the first back to combine speed, size and power in elite proportions. He is the only NFL back to average over 100 ypg for his entire career. He led the NFL in rushing all but one season in his 9-year NFL career. And, yes, I saw him play and he remains the best running back that I have ever seen.

Johnny Majors was an All-American and runner-up in the Heisman balloting in 1956, as a single-wing tailback, who then weighed in at roughly 156 pounds. Even Majors said that Jim Brown should have won the Heisman that year, but that was before fellow Syracuse running back Ernie Davis broke the color barrier in that respect.

In watching Love, the player I am most reminded of is LaMichael James, who was another “pocket battleship” that was a threat to take it the distance on virtually every play.

I attended the Stanford vs Oregon game this past Saturday and the difference between Bryce Love and LaMichael James is power/strength. Love leads the nation in “yards after contact” and “pound for pound” he’s among the strongest players in the nation. Don’t be surprised when he outlifts Barkley at the Combine in bench reps at 225 in addition to posting elite explosive numbers in the 40, vertical and standing broad jump.

Lamichael James was fast & quick but didn’t post elite “power” numbers in the vertical and standing broad jump and that lack of power was evident on film where he wasn’t great in yards after contact.

Same size doesn’t mean same skill set.....

Damien Harris is a much better prospect than the overrated Bo Scarbrough. Harris is currently projected to be a 2nd-3rd round draft pick where as Bo Scarbrough’s draft stock is falling.

Speaking of Bryce Love and Bo Scarbrough.......Love outperformed Scarbrough in 185 reps at the 2013 Army All-American Combine. Love also posted the fastest electronic 40 at the event by a full .1 even though he was a sophomore and most attendees were juniors.

Scarborough is a poor mans Derrick Henry. A guy you said would be a nobody. Jones? Lol. He is another Kelvin Taylor. Talented at the college level, but probably will struggle to find a starting job in the NFL.

LOL. Scarborough is a million times better than Derrick Henry. He's got much better agility, power, and make you miss ability.

Scarborough's long TD run against Washington in the playoffs is better than anything Henry has ever done.

Harris is the best back in the SEC this year, and that's all that matters at the moment.

As for your assessment: do you think Harris is the kind of guy that might go in the 6th round, sit on a couple of practice squads during his rookie year, get cut by another couple of teams during the next off-season, and then be sitting at home by the time year 2 begins? You know? Just a guy?

Harris will be a nobody in the NFL. Decent chance Scarborough won't be much either because of his durability concerns.

The best RB to ever set foot in Tuscaloosa is Alvin Kamara. And I'm sure if he stayed more than one year over there he would never reach the heights he's about to reach now in the NFL after playing in Tennessee.

Harris will be a nobody in the NFL.

Like the second-best back in last year's draft?

Again, it's meaningless because Harris is the best back in the SEC this year. If he goes on to nothing he will still have been the best back in the SEC this year.

The best RB to ever set foot in Tuscaloosa is Alvin Kamara. And I'm sure if he stayed more than one year over there he would never reach the heights he's about to reach now in the NFL after playing in Tennessee.

Does "ever" have a built-in time limit like "never?"

Last edited:
Love
1,406 yards from scrimmage
10.1 yards per touch
11 TD's
Opponents: USC, Utah, SDSU, ASU, Oregon, UCLA, Rice

Barkley
1,044 yards from scrimmage
8.0 yards per touch
9 TD's
Opponents: Iowa, Northwestern, Pitt, Indiana, Akron, Georgia St

We'll get a better idea of where the two stand this Sat after they both have an equal amount of games.

PSU faces a real defense versus Michigan, while Stanford has the week off. If Barkley balls out and gets 200+ yards, then he'll remain the front-runner.

Right now I think Love is the best pure RB in the nation - his speed what separates him from guys like Barkley and Penny (who, by the way, was held to nearly 2 ypc versus Boise). Barkley is having a year similar to McCaffrey's sophomore year, when he was returning kicks, fielding passes, throwing the ball, taking a majority of the rushes, etc. Barkley is the best all-purpose player in the NCAA, while Love is the best RB.

The other RB to look out for is true freshman Jonathan Taylor at Wisky. He's having a big year but it's not unusual for RBs to put up huge numbers there. Wisky's line is gargantuan and they haven't faced any good defenses. Still very impressive what he's done as a true frosh.

We'll get a better idea of where the two stand this Sat after they both have an equal amount of games.

PSU faces a real defense versus Michigan, while Stanford has the week off. If Barkley balls out and gets 200+ yards, then he'll remain the front-runner.

Right now I think Love is the best pure RB in the nation - his speed what separates him from guys like Barkley and Penny (who, by the way, was held to nearly 2 ypc versus Boise). Barkley is having a year similar to McCaffrey's sophomore year, when he was returning kicks, fielding passes, throwing the ball, taking a majority of the rushes, etc. Barkley is the best all-purpose player in the NCAA, while Love is the best RB.

The other RB to look out for is true freshman Jonathan Taylor at Wisky. He's having a big year but it's not unusual for RBs to put up huge numbers there. Wisky's line is gargantuan and they haven't faced any good defenses. Still very impressive what he's done as a true frosh.

I think you are right that there is plenty more to be seen in evaluating the two...

...but even if PSU has played 1 fewer game, it's teams he could have padded his stats against. Barkley has 131 touches from scrimmage and one of his TD's came from a kickoff (8 attempts).

Love has 139 touches from scrimmage against better competition.

If Barkley gets 200 yards against Michigan, that'll go a long way in getting caught up, but I still think Love would have a significant edge in productivity.

I think you are right that there is plenty more to be seen in evaluating the two...

...but even if PSU has played 1 fewer game, it's teams he could have padded his stats against. Barkley has 131 touches from scrimmage and one of his TD's came from a kickoff (8 attempts).

Love has 139 touches from scrimmage against better competition.

If Barkley gets 200 yards against Michigan, that'll go a long way in getting caught up, but I still think Love would have a significant edge in productivity.

Its gearing up to be an interesting Heisman race for sure. Love gets my vote so far, but that's based on productivity. I think Saquon is an amazing player but would like to see him against a "real" defense. Iowa's slow as molasses and PSU struggled greatly against them, Saquon basically carried the entire team.

This week is basically a wash. Love didn't play and Barkley didn't play well. Outside of the opening kickoff, Barkley really struggled. He made 2 plays all game and he had 27 touches.

VN Store

Back