Spurrier takes another shot at vols

Seems someone should talk about Spurrier's management of his time-outs. And his wardrobe choices from the bargain rack of 1988.

patrickschmidt_avatar_1379393310-190x190.jpg

That's the author of that story.

Good grief, man. I just woke up.

Reactions: 3 people
I would be butt hurt too if I lost to arguably the worst UT team ever fielded. He's still just really butt hurt that his dad didn't let him go to UT after all these years. The UT/Bama series isn't separated by many games. Especially up until Saban. It'll swing back around, that's the rivalry's history. UT/Bama historically is one of the most competitive rivalries in college football. UT/South Carolina, not so much. I know he has a love and obsession with UT, so it's all good.

Reactions: 1 person
There's nothing unhealthly about a 17-old year grudge! Nothing what-so-ever.

Spurrier grew up a fan and would've been a Vol had he fit the system. His knock represents USC's interests (they have an OOC rival in Clemson and schedule wise the permanent rivalries do nothing for them). He's also logically correct that the TSIO doesn't do anything for us right now (we hang onto it because of our fandom and the history - we know the series will turn but it's not like playing Bama helps UT right now).

He's also no worse than any other negavol or much of our fanbase (can't tell you how many jokes about UT not being able to be x high school I've heard from Tennessee fans in real life) - his favorite target is UT and I doubt that will change because he grew up a fan and truth be told still has a soft spot for us despite being 'the enemy.'

You can take the boy outta the hills but you can't take the hillbilly out of the boy. Personally, I find him funny and never mean-spirited with his jabs (he's always been as hard on his own teams).

This. You can't get butt hurt over things the ole head ball coach says; he's the class clown and will always rub certain folks the wrong way though.

Reactions: 2 people
“Alabama and Tennessee like each other. I don’t know why Tennessee would keep liking them though.”

Like each other?

When the eff did that happen?

Steve Spurrier on SEC permanent rivals: “Alabama and Tennessee like each other. I don’t know why Tennessee would keep liking them though.”

The man does have a point though. Alabama looks at us now the way we look at Kentucky. Not sure why we are so eager to stick our head in the lion's mouth every year. Much rather play Arkie every year until Butch gets this thing into high gear.

Steve Spurrier on SEC permanent rivals: “Alabama and Tennessee like each other. I don’t know why Tennessee would keep liking them though.”

The man does have a point though. Alabama looks at us now the way we look at Kentucky. Not sure why we are so eager to stick our head in the lion's mouth every year. Much rather play Arkie every year until Butch gets this thing into high gear.

We're not gonna give up one of our oldest and ,imo , best rivalry just because it's difficult right now.

And no...I dont "like" em.

We're not gonna give up one of our oldest and ,imo , best rivalry just because it's difficult right now.

And no...I dont "like" em.

Agreed. They don't have the brains down there to remember when the series was heavily in our favor for years. Soon as Saban is gone, they'll be straight back in the crapper. He's the only reason to bother with that place...what a dump.

Agreed. They don't have the brains down there to remember when the series was heavily in our favor for years. Soon as Saban is gone, they'll be straight back in the crapper. He's the only reason to bother with that place...what a dump.

That was a UT fan saying he would rather see UT play Arky than Bama until UT gets it worked out.

I don't agree with that. Man up and play.

I enjoy hearing his comments. I LOVE to hate Spurrier. I want him to go back to Florida so we can go back to having the ability to hate the Gators even more!

Spurrier has been butt hurt for 50+ years against the Vols. Ended up at FL which was a nothing school back then. He knows he gets press time when he goes into his tired little act. We can retaliate best by ignoring him except for the one Saturday in October when we play his crap teams.

Spurrier is funny. If he were our a-hole we would love it. The UGA and UT jabs are hilarious.

That was a UT fan saying he would rather see UT play Arky than Bama until UT gets it worked out.

I used to feel that way too. And when it's an actual rivalry again I will enjoy it again. But right now I don't enjoy 40-0 beatdowns in Neyland and having those rival clowns singing rammer jammer at us in our stadium. And I'd much prefer to go bowling.

But having said that, I don't really want the league to end the annual series because I feel in 2-3 years Butch will have us to the point we will be competitive again, and both sides might actually believe it's still a game worthy of its name. But there is a part of me that asks if right now getting to a bowl game might be preferrable to getting our brains beaten in.

I used to feel that way too. And when it's an actual rivalry again I will enjoy it again. But right now I don't enjoy 40-0 beatdowns in Neyland and having those rival clowns singing rammer jammer at us in our stadium. And I'd much prefer to go bowling.

But having said that, I don't really want the league to end the annual series because I feel in 2-3 years Butch will have us to the point we will be competitive again, and both sides might actually believe it's still a game worthy of its name. But there is a part of me that asks if right now getting to a bowl game might be preferrable to getting our brains beaten in.

What would it do for our program if we beat them? The reward is much greater than the risk. This rivalry is cyclical and we are getting players on par with the top programs again.

VN Store

Back