Special exemptions: aka why Tennessee will always be at a disadvantage

This is why we couldn't sign future 1st Rounder Orlando Brown and he ended up signing with Oklahoma.

Probably could have used him this year...maybe could have won up to 3 more games with him.

Reactions: 1 person
Then college students should have to travel every weekend of the fall semester and work out, train, and practice for 8 hours each day. Fair enough?

Some time exemptions need to be made for special circumstances.

When other students make the school millions they can get their special treatment.

Most already work to afford school

All 85 aren't making the school millions. If that's your criteria them let's stop pretending these kids are really college material and just start a farm system

Reactions: 3 people
Eh, can't get worked up too much about this. It is a university team; not a minor league NFL team. They should have to at least be capable of being students on paper. I have a lot invested in the football team, but I have more invested in my degree being from an institution that is perceived to have some standards. I doubt we are that far out of step with everyone else. Besides, admitting an illiterate because he blocks good has many more downsides than up.

Reactions: 5 people
So let’s just drop the student from student-athlete and just put them on payroll?

Personally I think they should completely do away with athletic exemptions. Hell they already get a free education. How about they at least work for the education? And dont damn tell me they work for their education on the field/court. If you do try that then go all in and drop them from the school logs and put them on payroll

I'm surprised at the number of posters that don't see this as a problem. We need to be on even footing with the other schools.

JUST more difficult than any other sec school and most other programs in the country.

I have seen two names on this thread that supposedly couldn't get into UT and went somewhere else. Could it be that they actually hadn't made it through the clearinghouse and UT went cold because they didn't think they would make it and eventually did? I remember us having students that were waiting on their ACT scores in the fall to see if they would be passed by the clearinghouse.

Orlando Brown disagrees.

The fact remains other sec schools get players in easier than Tennessee. General admissions maybe harder at some schools but it's harder for an athlete to get into Tennessee than other sec programs.

Vanderbilt would disagree.

TN is harder to get into now than it was in the 90s. I have to believe we make exceptions for athletes.

You average athlete isn’t making 27 on the ACT

Most already work to afford school

All 85 aren't making the school millions. If that's your criteria them let's stop pretending these kids are really college material and just start a farm system

Lol people say this but I have been to UT. Most students don't work. They are living off mommy and daddy or schollys and grants. If they do work it usually averages out to 4 hours or less a day. I have also managed many UT students at my former job and did their schedules.

Most students have no where near the obligations athletes do.

All college is a farm system. The purpose is to prepare you for a career.

Athletes are just trying for a different career than others. So they may not have to know all the same things. We don't expect a history major to take a bunch of math classes.

One of seven schools in the country that doesn't. Only sec school that doesn't do it.

Texas
Purdue
Air Force
Kansas state
UConn
Virginia
I'm sure there are more schools than this. Ron Mercer wanted to attend Vanderbilt but wasn't admitted because of his grades and UK gladly accepted him.

And all this time I thought the purpose of a university was education. Apparently that has changed in the minds of some.

Most importantly it changed in the minds of administrators who grasp the awesome profit potential of the sport, along with the media and NCAA execs. It sucks that the ideal of amateurism no longer holds validity, but that ship sailed a while ago. My question is why TN is on that short list. If they want to be, I can accept that, but my feeling is they wouldn't be part of that group unless there was an element of force involved. Perhaps everyone's favorite ambassador Phil could shed some light on this issue.

VN Store

Back