Speaking my peace

mikey

I was going to start saying some really ugly things to some people on here, but instead I'm just going to speak my peace and move on. There are much bigger problems in Knoxville right now than the coaches. There are serious character issues floating around there right now. You can see that on the sidelines on Sat. I hope, for Randy's sake, that this helps. I hate to think about him doing this in vain. For those who don't know him, he's a stand up guy who did a stand up thing. Everyone who doesn't want to hear what the coaches are saying, or what I am saying, need to read what Jim Clausen said today. This isn't about Randy or Pat or anyone else on the staff, it's about the players, and anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't understand the game very well. Again, I hope this works out for Randy's sake. I think he's doing it as much for his family as anything. It's pretty sad when people with no connection to the program take it so seriously that Randy's daughters can't go trick or treating on Halloween. Some people need to really look inside themselves and find something in their lives that really means something. I love the Vols and always will. I love this game (sometimes too much) and always will. If, however, UT football is so big in your life that you would treat another human being the way Randy has been this year, you really need to take a look at yourself.

Originally posted by mikey@Nov 1, 2005 1:29 PM
It's pretty sad when people with no connection to the program take it so seriously that Randy's daughters can't go trick or treating on Halloween.
[snapback]179906[/snapback]​

Seriously, some people should be ashamed of themselves. :disappointed:

While I agree with most of what you are saying (Mikey) -

what are you saying the problem is? You refer to players and indicate that there is no coaching problem. Curious how you come to this conclusion.

Originally posted by volinbham@Nov 1, 2005 1:41 PM
While I agree with most of what you are saying (Mikey) -

what are you saying the problem is?  You refer to players and indicate that there is no coaching problem.  Curious how you come to this conclusion.
[snapback]179918[/snapback]​

I didn't say there is NO fault to be laid at the coaches feet...but so many people seem to not want to lay ANY of the blame on the players. The response I always hear is ..."if the players aren't playing well, it's because they haven't been coached well." That statement could, truly, only be made by someone who has never coached. The coaches can't go block and catch and cover and tackle. It's not Pat's fault everyone has dropped passes this year, it's not Troop's fault that RB's have fumbled inside the 10 3 times in the last two weeks. Again, if you don't want to listen to me, go read Jim Clausen's comments.

Originally posted by Arclight@Nov 1, 2005 1:43 PM
You mean piece not peace.
[snapback]179922[/snapback]​

No..I'm at peace from having spoken it. :p

I was going to start saying some really ugly things to some people on here, but instead I'm just going to speak my peace and move on...

I hate to think about him doing this in vain.  For those who don't know him, he's a stand up guy who did a stand up thing...

This isn't about Randy or Pat or anyone else on the staff, it's about the players, and anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't understand the game very well...

Some people need to really look inside themselves and find something in their lives that really means something...If, however, UT football is so big in your life that you would treat another human being the way Randy has been this year, you really need to take a look at yourself.

OK. There are some kernels of truth in this, but one needs to look deep to find them.

1 - Why do you feel like the people on this board need to be "spoken to?" Your comments should be directed at those people who did these things. But since you don't know who they are, why come here and lay blame?

2 - I don't know of anyone who diagrees that he is a stand-up guy. So what's your point?

3 - With all due respect, anyone that knows anything about football has already said it IS A COACHING PROBLEM. Jim Clausen is no more expert than my mother. How about asking NFL scouts, other college coaches, and former UT coaches. You'll get a more accurate assessment of what people in the know really think. I think you have made a personal decision with this statement.

4 - Again, why do you accuse nameless, faceless, people on the internet of "doing stuff" to Randy or his family? That is proposterous. Now, I understand you are venting, in which case I sort of understand what you're saying. But no one here cost Randy his job, and no one here hurt his family that you could possible know of.

P.S. As I've said many times of late, RS is the scapegoat of a bigger problem. Frankly, that problem is Fulmer for surrounding RS with so many lightweights. This is Fulmer's making and his responsibility. I don't want him fired, but it is his fault.

Originally posted by Liper@Nov 1, 2005 1:57 PM
OK.  There are some kernels of truth in this, but one needs to look deep to find them.

1 - Why do you feel like the people on this board need to be "spoken to?"  Your comments should be directed at those people who did these things.  But since you don't know who they are, why come here and lay blame?

2 - I don't know of anyone who diagrees that he is a stand-up guy.  So what's your point?

3 - With all due respect, anyone that knows anything about football has already said it IS A COACHING PROBLEM.  Jim Clausen is no more expert than my mother.  How about asking NFL scouts, other college coaches, and former UT coaches.  You'll get a more accurate assessment of what people in the know really think.  I think you have made a personal decision with this statement.

4 - Again, why do you accuse nameless, faceless, people on the internet of "doing stuff" to Randy or his family?  That is proposterous.  Now, I understand you are venting, in which case I sort of understand what you're saying.  But no one here cost Randy his job, and no one here hurt his family that you could possible know of.

P.S. As I've said many times of late, RS is the scapegoat of a bigger problem.  Frankly, that problem is Fulmer for surrounding RS with so many lightweights.  This is Fulmer's making and his responsibility.  I don't want him fired, but it is his fault.
[snapback]179931[/snapback]​

1 - huh?

2 - Do I have to make a point to say a friend is a stand up guy who took the fall for something that wasn't his fault?

3 - Then your mother must be a coach who spends a good deal of time around the program.

4 - I'm not accusing anyone on here of anything...just stating facts.

P.S. Who are the lightweights?

Originally posted by mikey@Nov 1, 2005 2:10 PM
1 - huh?

2 - Do I have to make a point to say a friend is a stand up guy who took the fall for something that wasn't his fault?

3 - Then your mother must be a coach who spends a good deal of time around the program.

4 - I'm not accusing anyone on here of anything...just stating facts.

P.S. Who are the lightweights?
[snapback]179937[/snapback]​

1 - My point is simple: You seemed to be wanting to some vent some frustration regarding some real or perceived abuses directed toward RS and/or his family. However, this "venting" seemed unreasonable directed at people who had nothing to do with it, i.e. nameless internet people who type opnions into a keyboard and go about their business. That's all; maybe I'm wrong about that.

2 - No, you don't have to make point. But that seeme to be the thrust of your post - blaming "people." But I've met RS and liked him. I have many friends that like him as well. I'm sorry this is going on the way it is too. He shouldn't have been put into this position.

3 - Funny. You're free to believe that our offensive problems are both new and unrelated to coaching. Frankly, I think that is a ridiculous position to take, but one often taken by friends of the staff. I was in that position many times myself, and pulling for loved ones make it more difficult to see what others plainly do.

I guess you think that:

Charlie Weiss has nothing to do with ND's better execution?
Bob Stoops had nothing to do with turning OKL around - that is was all player execution?
Spurrier just won because he had good talent when the others can't?
Al Borges didn't make a difference for Auburn last year?
Saban made no difference for LSU?
Pete Carroll made no difference for USC?

None of those programs had players that were "executing" very well, or had "good attitudes" when those coaches got there. But, WOW! Magically, they just got more talented and starting making plays all of the sudden! Right out of thin air! That's the most amazing set of coincidences I have ever seen.

4 - The lightweights are Washington and Stephens, particularly Washington. He is the worst coach, quite possibly, to ever grace the sidelines at TN. My main point is that RS was put into a position of failure by Fulmer, who is an arrogant, stubborn person deluded by his own estimated success.

Originally posted by Liper@Nov 1, 2005 2:57 PM
OK.  There are some kernels of truth in this, but one needs to look deep to find them.

1 - Why do you feel like the people on this board need to be "spoken to?"  Your comments should be directed at those people who did these things.  But since you don't know who they are, why come here and lay blame?

2 - I don't know of anyone who diagrees that he is a stand-up guy.  So what's your point?

3 - With all due respect, anyone that knows anything about football has already said it IS A COACHING PROBLEM.  Jim Clausen is no more expert than my mother.  How about asking NFL scouts, other college coaches, and former UT coaches.  You'll get a more accurate assessment of what people in the know really think.  I think you have made a personal decision with this statement.

4 - Again, why do you accuse nameless, faceless, people on the internet of "doing stuff" to Randy or his family?  That is proposterous.  Now, I understand you are venting, in which case I sort of understand what you're saying.  But no one here cost Randy his job, and no one here hurt his family that you could possible know of.

P.S. As I've said many times of late, RS is the scapegoat of a bigger problem.  Frankly, that problem is Fulmer for surrounding RS with so many lightweights.  This is Fulmer's making and his responsibility.  I don't want him fired, but it is his fault.
[snapback]179931[/snapback]​

nice post Liper, I couldn't agree more. Especially the part about Washington. The question people need to ask is why did it take a season like this to force Fulmer to make changes. I think Randy Sanders leaving was good thing ultimately but, many people have said Randy Sanders was a brilliant OC.I don't know how we could find out as he obviously had no help in his staff, and just ran the plays that Fulmer wanted him to run. He was obviously content with mediocrity for quite some time. I think this next year will define Fulmer's career. Either he surrounds himself with people who can get the job done, or we find out that it is Fulmer and we a new HC.

Originally posted by mikey@Nov 1, 2005 2:46 PM
I didn't say there is NO  fault to be laid at the coaches feet...but so many people seem to not want to lay ANY of the blame on the players.  The response I always hear is ..."if the players aren't playing well, it's because they haven't been coached well."  That statement could, truly, only be made by someone who has never coached.  The coaches can't go block and catch and cover and tackle.  It's not Pat's fault everyone has dropped passes this year, it's not Troop's fault that RB's have fumbled inside the 10 3 times in the last two weeks.  Again, if you don't want to listen to me, go read Jim Clausen's comments.
[snapback]179923[/snapback]​

Mikey, where can I find the comments from Jim Clausen?

wvorange,

Basically, Jim Clausen said that it was the players and not the coaches, and all of the Clasuen family is really disappointed about the whole thing.

Chattonsfinest,

That's kind of the cause of my wonderment. It's the fact that it will likely take a complete and total meltdown to FORCE Fulmer into making changes he should have made long ago.

And when he does make changes, he's going to hate it because he knows it is an indictment against himself for staying that way so long. Basically, he's painted into a corner as far as staff gaffes go - and the only way out to swallow it, correct it, and start winning again. That's my take, which may be wrong.

Used to be newspapers and telephones. Now, its internet message boards and emails.

After reading some of the posts on boards (not just this one) for the last few years, its easy to see why people would treat the Sanders the way they do. They read these message boards too. Treating the Sanders family like crap falls right into place regarding some of the thinsg said about RS.

Did we gather the wood for the fire? NO

Did we strike the match? NO

Did we fan the flame? A resounding YES.

Bashing Sanders among those of us no where near the situation fans the flames for those people who ARE near the situation. "Its not my fault" just doesnt apply. Go back and read what some of the comments you have said about Sanders and consider the fact the RS' next door neighbor might see too.

We are classless folks! Next time somebody wants to call us classless, think about what happened during this whole ordeal.

Originally posted by Liper@Nov 1, 2005 3:32 PM
wvorange,

Basically, Jim Clausen said that it was the players and not the coaches, and all of the Clasuen family is really disappointed about the whole thing.

Chattonsfinest,

That's kind of the cause of my wonderment.  It's the fact that it will likely take a complete and total meltdown to FORCE Fulmer into making changes he should have made long ago.

And when he does make changes, he's going to hate it because he knows it is an indictment against himself for staying that way so long.  Basically, he's painted into a corner as far as staff gaffes go - and the only way out to swallow it, correct it, and start winning again.  That's my take, which may be wrong.
[snapback]180007[/snapback]​

Fulmer didnt force the change. Sanders did. He got tired of putting up with Vol fans crap. I dont blame him a bit. Fulmer wanted RS to stay on.

Originally posted by Liper@Nov 1, 2005 4:32 PM
wvorange,

Chattonsfinest,

That's kind of the cause of my wonderment.  It's the fact that it will likely take a complete and total meltdown to FORCE Fulmer into making changes he should have made long ago.

And when he does make changes, he's going to hate it because he knows it is an indictment against himself for staying that way so long.  Basically, he's painted into a corner as far as staff gaffes go - and the only way out to swallow it, correct it, and start winning again.  That's my take, which may be wrong.
[snapback]180007[/snapback]​

Thanks! I do think we have some players that have a problem, not sure how to put it in words. But I do agree Coaches keep players from getting the attitude they can sometime get. I saw a post yesterday about Swains comments about the offense, but I have seen him run routs.

Originally posted by mikey@Nov 1, 2005 1:46 PM
I didn't say there is NO  fault to be laid at the coaches feet...but so many people seem to not want to lay ANY of the blame on the players.  The response I always hear is ..."if the players aren't playing well, it's because they haven't been coached well."  That statement could, truly, only be made by someone who has never coached.  The coaches can't go block and catch and cover and tackle.  It's not Pat's fault everyone has dropped passes this year, it's not Troop's fault that RB's have fumbled inside the 10 3 times in the last two weeks.  Again, if you don't want to listen to me, go read Jim Clausen's comments.
[snapback]179923[/snapback]​

I respect RS as a man, and his family as well. He had 6.5 years to do his job and did not cut it. The players are responsible for their failures as well but, coaches get fired for their failures. Not the other way around. I have never attacked RS personally BUT, he is no OC at the level we play at. :twocents:

I can't wait till Saturday when we find out if all those draw plays on third and long, and all those plays we hated we're actually Fulmer's idea.

Originally posted by Chattownsfinest@Nov 1, 2005 4:21 PM
nice post Liper, I couldn't agree more. Especially the part about Washington. The question people need to ask is why did it take a season like this to force Fulmer to make changes. I think Randy Sanders leaving was good thing ultimately but, many people have said Randy Sanders was a brilliant OC.I don't know how we could find out as he obviously had no help in his staff, and just ran the plays that Fulmer wanted him to run. He was obviously content with mediocrity for quite some time. I think this next year will define Fulmer's career. Either he surrounds himself with people who can get the job done, or we find out that it is Fulmer and we a new HC.
[snapback]180000[/snapback]​

I agree if Phil makes the wrong choices or the comfortable ones (read Cutcliff), then he'd better make good or they will pack him a heartbeat. Too many ppl on this board espouse how the pack jumped on Phil over this one season but The Powers That Be have been on Phil's case to make staff changes, system changes for at least a couple of years.

So as I have said in the past it usually takes four-five years to dump a HC and next will be Year Four. With this year's meltdown, four is all he is going to get.

Not only do we need a new OC, we need a new OC that can become a HC for continuity purposes. Did anyone in their right mind see RS as a Div 1 HC? Brother, I sure never did.

I had to live through the "I really don't like to recruit" Bill Battle years where his idea of questioning potential recruits was "Do you love Jesus?" He was an abortion from the day he took over, thank God he faked that Georgia punt and cost us the game and finally that was the last straw.

Today, the hiring of a strong OC and HC can mean millions, literally, in upper tier BCS bowl games. We had the talent to be there, think that TPTBe will let another 14 million bucks fall through the UT hands?

Originally posted by volbrian@Nov 1, 2005 3:35 PM
Did we fan the flame?  A resounding YES.

Bashing Sanders among those of us no where near the situation fans the flames for those people who ARE near the situation.  "Its not my fault" just doesnt apply.  Go back and read what some of the comments you have said about Sanders and consider the fact the RS' next door neighbor might see too. 

We are classless folks!  Next time somebody wants to call us classless, think about what happened during this whole ordeal.
[snapback]180009[/snapback]​

Critiquing a football coaches job qualifications or prowess is quite within the field of play. They do not get "immunity" from having to perform up to par. I just don't get this - flaming what exactly? What other coach or high profile job is immune from criticism? They voluntary went in.

If you're referring to the nutjobs that attack his family and make personal comments, then I'm NOT taking responsibility for that. You can - be my guest. Because I might refer to our lack of execution as a coaching problem does not make me culpable for any "discomfort" he might be feeling or make me an accomplice to those that attack him personally.

When I offer a stern rebuke of communism and Fidel Castro, I do not instantaneously become culpable for someone's murder of a communist living in some neighborhood in Cuba. You, however, seem to think I would responsible for "fanning the flames of hatred."

Why don't you simply cut and paste what I've said in the past that you think is off-color, and I'll address it. Ok?

Originally posted by volbrian@Nov 1, 2005 3:38 PM
Fulmer didnt force the change.  Sanders did.  He got tired of putting up with Vol fans crap.  I dont blame him a bit.    Fulmer wanted RS to stay on.
[snapback]180011[/snapback]​

Right, to this point Sanders offered it up.

Are you really trying to suggest that changes are not being forced on Fulmer at the end of the year? We'll see if that one sticks.

Originally posted by Liper@Nov 1, 2005 4:02 PM
Critiquing a football coaches job qualifications or prowess is quite within the field of play.  They do not get "immunity" from having to perform up to par.  I just don't get this - flaming what exactly?  What other coach or high profile job is immune from criticism?  They voluntary went in.

If you're referring to the nutjobs that attack his family and make personal comments, then I'm NOT taking responsibility for that.  You can - be my guest.  Because I might refer to our lack of execution as a coaching problem does not make me culpable for any "discomfort" he might be feeling or make me an accomplice to those that attack him personally.

When I offer a stern rebuke of communism and Fidel Castro, I do not instantaneously become culpable for someone's murder of a communist living in some neighborhood in Cuba.  You, however, seem to think I would responsible for "fanning the flames of hatred."

Why don't you simply cut and paste what I've said in the past that you think is off-color, and I'll address it.  Ok?
[snapback]180034[/snapback]​

If you want to call some of the things said about Sanders "Critiquing", go ahead.

btw, that particular post wasnt directed directly at you. It was just the general "we need to point fingers" mentality.

I was going to start saying some really ugly things to some people on here, but instead I'm just going to speak my peace and move on.  There are much bigger problems in Knoxville right now than the coaches.  There are serious character issues floating around there right now.  You can see that on the sidelines on Sat. I hope, for Randy's sake, that this helps. I hate to think about him doing this in vain.  For those who don't know him, he's a stand up guy who did a stand up thing.  Everyone who doesn't want to hear what the coaches are saying, or what I am saying, need to read what Jim Clausen said today.  This isn't about Randy or Pat or anyone else on the staff, it's about the players, and anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't understand the game very well.  Again, I hope this works out for Randy's sake.  I think he's doing it as much for his family as anything.  It's pretty sad when people with no connection to the program take it so seriously that Randy's daughters can't go trick or treating on Halloween.  Some people need to really look inside themselves and find something in their lives that really means something.  I love the Vols and always will. I love this game (sometimes too much) and always will.  If, however, UT football is so big in your life that you would treat another human being the way Randy has been this year, you really need to take a look at yourself.

Well stated Mikey. There are fundamental problems with the team right now, and fans that go after family are a black mark for the program.

That being said, you have to admit that part of the problem of hiring within the program is the pain it causes when it does not work for any reason. It becomes personal for every fan when you realize that RS has given his heart and soul to this University. That is a by product of hiring UT guys.

VN Store

Back