Space Exploration

Are NASA's future missions and budget justified?

• It's worth the time and expenditures

Votes: 213 66.1%
  • Complete waste of money

Votes: 40 12.4%
  • We need to explore, but not at the current cost

Votes: 69 21.4%

• Total voters
So the crew vehicle made it to orbit but the main booster was lost on recovery right?

Yes. The booster apparently didn't get good light on the engines but the plan was to always let it sink.

It just sank at 1,000 KPH... I mean, that counts...

The vehicle made it to orbital velocity and could have sustained it, but the thrusters weren't keeping it stable in reentry. But most of the milestones for the mission were fulfilled save the relight of the main engines in orbit and how well it fared during reentry. It seemed to be doing okay before signal was lost.

It's only the third flight and they've solved the accent phase problems. They'll get better next time since there's already 4 more boosters and vehicles ready to go.

Yes. The booster apparently didn't get good light on the engines but the plan was to always let it sink.

It just sank at 1,000 KPH... I mean, that counts...

The vehicle made it to orbital velocity and could have sustained it, but the thrusters weren't keeping it stable in reentry. But most of the milestones for the mission were fulfilled save the relight of the main engines in orbit and how well it fared during reentry. It seemed to be doing okay before signal was lost.

It's only the third flight and they've solved the accent phase problems. They'll get better next time since there's already 4 more boosters and vehicles ready to go.

Did they launch any satellites or anything with this or was it all just a test?

Lost the booster (I want to see it hitting the water lol) but the ship made it to orbital velocity.
Of course, when you really stop to think about it, basically EVERY booster not made by a company not called SpaceX is “lost” after launch: It isn’t News when ULA “loses” an Atlas V or Vulcan first stage; because the lose them ALL

Of course, when you really stop to think about it, basically EVERY booster not made by a company not called SpaceX is “lost” after launch: It isn’t News when ULA “loses” an Atlas V or Vulcan first stage; because the lose them ALL

I did find out they terminated it before it hit the water. They were having a hard time stabilizing it before they lost it.

That'll probably take a little more time to work out as recovering something that large isn't an easy task. But... I have this feeling they'll get there.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
I did find out they terminated it before it hit the water. They were having a hard time stabilizing it before they lost it.

That'll probably take a little more time to work out as recovering something that large isn't an easy task. But... I have this feeling they'll get there.
Yup. We all remember all the failures initially trying to land Falcon 9 first statue. Now it is absolutely routine

NASA and Space X are launching 3 rockets into the shadow of the Solar Eclipse on April 8

At the same time CERN is turning on the Hadron Collider in Switzerland to try and measure the amount of energy needed to create an event horizon.

If you're into conspiracy theories supposedly the Illuminati are releasing Apolliyon from the depths of the universe.
I guess we'll see.

Reactions: LouderVol
NASA and Space X are launching 3 rockets into the shadow of the Solar Eclipse on April 8

At the same time CERN is turning on the Hadron Collider in Switzerland to try and measure the amount of energy needed to create an event horizon.

If you're into conspiracy theories supposedly the Illuminati are releasing Apolliyon from the depths of the universe.
I guess we'll see.
I assume this was an April Fools post

VN Store

Back