Sound Off Veterans

13Bravo(field artillery,cannon crewmember)
basic in ft.sill,oklahoma
stationed in ft wainwright alaska,then ft lewis washington,..in the suck for 18 months in mosul...came home, got stationed in ft.campbell ky.
but 172nd stryker brigade..charlie 4/11 was my home, thats the northeast pacific...alaska,washington...i'm from southwest va...northeast tennessee, but i consider fairbanks alaska my home away from homes, loved it there.....been seperated for two years now, god what i'd give to have that all back ....hooahhh

stationed in ft wainwright alaska,then ft lewis washington,..in the suck for 18 months in mosul...came home, got stationed in ft.campbell ky.
but 172nd stryker brigade..charlie 4/11 was my home, thats the northeast pacific...alaska,washington...i'm from southwest va...northeast tennessee, but i consider fairbanks alaska my home away from homes, loved it there.....been seperated for two years now, god what i'd give to have that all back ....hooahhh

Good to see another Redleg on board. I started out as a 13E. I'm guessing you were light in Alaska. What guns did you have in the Stryker Bde, was it Paladin? Also, at Campbell were you towed 105s?

welcome to VN...

US Navy '96-'00. Boot camp and EM A-school in Great Lakes IL. USS John F Kennedy CV-67 homeport NS Mayport (FL). 2 deployments to the gulf for Southern Watch and also launched a ton of airstrikes at the start of the Baltic War. Was down in engineering and also on the fight deck. Made E-5 in four (and started at E-1). Being in was the best thing I could have ever done at that time in my life. Definately would not have done well in college had I gone right out of high school.

Last edited:
Waiting on my final select letters for OCS ship date. Will be a SWO in the Navy.

Congrats and good luck. You will have fun running deck op division for your first five years in service. Familiarize yourself with the term "bustin rust" :)

US Navy '96-'00. Boot camp and EM A-school in Great Lakes IL. USS John F Kennedy CV-67 homeport NS Mayport (FL). 2 deployments to the gulf for Southern Watch and also launched a ton of airstrikes at the start of the Baltic War. Was down in engineering and also on the fight deck. Made E-5 in four (and started at E-1). Being in was the best thing I could have ever done at that time in my life. Definately would not have done well in college had I gone right out of high school.

I did a couple of plane watch workups on the JFK......what a @#$@ can of a ship. I was also stationed at Mayport for about 4 years.

Yeah, it is a relic. IIRC, the keel was laid in 1967, so it goes back a ways. They aren't in a hurry to get rid of the old boiler steamers because a lot of foreign ports don't want nuclear ships in or near their harbors. I had heard the Kitty Hawk was a lot worse, and I think they just decommed her.

Congrats and good luck. You will have fun running deck op division for your first five years in service. Familiarize yourself with the term "bustin rust" :)
Haha thanks thats something to look forward to. I really want to go EDO after being in for a little while but that is really competitive. Uncle was a captain on the John C. Stennis and I can't wait to follow in his footsteps. Now if only the Navy didn't take 4 months for final select letters.

Haha thanks thats something to look forward to. I really want to go EDO after being in for a little while but that is really competitive. Uncle was a captain on the John C. Stennis and I can't wait to follow in his footsteps. Now if only the Navy didn't take 4 months for final select letters.
Well get used to the waiting. Rememer the phrase "hurry up and wait", you will hear it often
Posted via VolNation Mobile

As a judge recently decided it wasnt illegal to claim awards you didnt recieve, I have the wintered over in Antarctica ribbon with 2 oak leaf clusters, as well as the Army Astronaut Badge.

As a judge recently decided it wasnt illegal to claim awards you didnt recieve, I have the wintered over in Antarctica ribbon with 2 oak leaf clusters, as well as the Army Astronaut Badge.

A buddy of mine received the army astronaut badge as well. He's name is Blue Falcon, maybe you've heard of him?

Heck, halfway home, I kick my own ass for ETS'ing, I'd be past 12 right now, God willing.

Hey man, if you see either of these dudes holla at me alright. The boys are ready to come home and drink some beers.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 5

what happened?

VN Store

Back