Some sobering stats for you

CountVolcula

Eternal Vol
The argument for Jones has been his improvement of the record. He has done this, but it doesnt indicate the whole truth. In 4 years, he is just 12-17 in the SEC.

In 2013, he was 2-6 in the SEC. The combined SEC record of those 2 teams was 6-10

In 2014, he was 3-5 in the SEC. The combined SEC record of those 3 teams was 5-19

In 2015, he was 5-3 in the SEC. The combined SEC record of those 5 teams was 11-29

So far in 2016, he is 2-3 in the SEC. The combined SEC record of those 2 teams is 6-5

In 4 years, the 12 wins by Butch came from teams with a combined record of 28-65 in SEC play. Of those 12 wins, only 3 came from teams that ended up with a winning record in the SEC. 8 came from teams with 2 or less wins in the SEC. 2 of those 8 ended up with 0 wins in the SEC.

That should tell you all you need to know

Reactions: 7 people
So, basically he can do no better in SEC play this year than he did last year. The only difference from last year is that he beat VT instead of losing to Oklahoma.

Reactions: 1 person
The argument for Jones has been his improvement of the record. He has done this, but it doesnt indicate the whole truth. In 4 years, he is just 12-17 in the SEC.

In 2013, he was 2-6 in the SEC. The combined SEC record of those 2 teams was 6-10

In 2014, he was 3-5 in the SEC. The combined SEC record of those 3 teams was 5-19

In 2015, he was 5-3 in the SEC. The combined SEC record of those 5 teams was 11-29

So far in 2016, he is 2-3 in the SEC. The combined SEC record of those 2 teams is 6-5

In 4 years, the 12 wins by Butch came from teams with a combined record of 28-65 in SEC play. Of those 12 wins, only 3 came from teams that ended up with a winning record in the SEC. 8 came from teams with 2 or less wins in the SEC. 2 of those 8 ended up with 0 wins in the SEC.

That should tell you all you need to know

I can take some growing pains in year 1 and 2, but here we are in year 4 and we look no better than we did in year 1 in so many facets of the game. Yes the record is a little better, but what happened last night is easy to understand when you look at the rest of our wins this year in context.

And yet we are in all likelihood going to finish 9-3, something we haven't done since 2006. And if we win our bowl game, we will have won 10 games, something we haven't done since 2007. All while running a relatively clean program with few behavior issues and posting the highest team GPA's in program history. Get a grip people. I know everyone is feeling butt hurt today but Butch isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Does he need to make staff changes after this year? Yes, and I believe he will because he's shown that he wouldnt hesitate to do it in the past. But don't think for one second that loss yesterday has suddenly altered Jone's future here. It takes way more than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
A 3-4 route with 18 seconds to go when you need 15 or more for a managable fg tell us all we need to know about this coaching staff.

Reactions: 8 people
And yet we are in all likelihood going to finish 9-3, something we haven't done since 2006. And if we win our bowl game, we will have won 10 games, something we haven't done since 2007. All while running a relatively clean program with few behavior issues and posting the highest team GPA's in program history. Get a grip people. I know everyone is feeling butt hurt today but Butch isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

We were 'in all likelihood' going to finish 10-2 until last night's CRAP. Don't fool yourself. There's a damn good chance we do not win out.

Reactions: 8 people
And yet we are in all likelihood going to finish 9-3, something we haven't done since 2006. And if we win our bowl game, we will have won 10 games, something we haven't done since 2007. All while running a relatively clean program with few behavior issues and posting the highest team GPA's in program history. Get a grip people. I know everyone is feeling butt hurt today but Butch isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

But we have looked absolutely terrible against weaker opponents in year 4

Thats coaching

7 out of 8 games, the opponent has scored first. Only 1 game we had a lead at halftime

Holy crap, this isnt acceptable

Reactions: 9 people
And yet we are in all likelihood going to finish 9-3, something we haven't done since 2006. And if we win our bowl game, we will have won 10 games, something we haven't done since 2007. All while running a relatively clean program with few behavior issues and posting the highest team GPA's in program history. Get a grip people. I know everyone is feeling butt hurt today but Butch isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Does he need to make staff changes after this year? Yes, and I believe he will because he's shown that he wouldnt hesitate to do it in the past. But don't think for one second that loss yesterday has suddenly altered Jone's future here. It takes way more than that.

All that and still a mediocre SEC team.

Wow. Talking about cutting your stats to meet your needs. How about you include the records of the teams he lost to as well? Would that not make a more fair comparison?

I don't know the numbers but my guess is what you will prove: we on average are beating the teams we should and losing to the teams that the spread says we should during that whole 4 year time period you laid out (yesterday notwithstanding).

You guys on here sometimes really take the cake. We play in the best conference in the World, he started off with a program in shambles, and has noticably improved every year. For Heaven's sake we beat UGA, FL, barely lost to A&M and have just run out of steam due to injury and expectation management.

These are kids. Remember?

He has show the ability to make horrible coaching changes. Way more than good ones.

But we have looked absolutely terrible against weaker opponents in year 4

Thats coaching

7 out of 8 games, the opponent has scored first. Only 1 game we had a lead at halftime

Holy crap, this isnt acceptable

And Ohio State lost to an unranked Penn State team. Unexpected losses are GOING to happen sometimes. Yet when it does everyone is so quick to pull out their torches and pitchforks. Jesus people, it's ONE game!

Anybody can defend a one dimensional team. When Pepper Rodgers coached at GA Tech and UCLA, he had the best rushing teams in the country, but he could never beat good teams. As long as Jones insists on playing Dobbs, the same will be true of him. We'll see the same defenses we saw from AL and SC for the rest of the season. Heck, we could lose to TN Tech.

Gen Neyland (a better coach than Butch) would sometimes play Lauricella (a better player than Dobbs) until he got into the red zone and then switch tailbacks. Perhaps Butch should think about trying the opposite: play Dormady until they get into the red zone and, then, play Dobbs. Dobbs is as good of red zone player as we have ever had.

And Ohio State lost to an unranked Penn State team. Unexpected losses are GOING to happen sometimes. Yet when it does everyone is so quick to pull out their torches and pitchforks. Jesus people, it's ONE game!

Penn state is a FAR better team than Carolina and the Vols have played like crap against every single bad opponent they've faced this year.

Look at the stats provided again

We aint talking about Ohio State

Jones couldnt polish Meyers shoes

And we lost to SC by 3 on the road playing the worst I have ever seen a team play. Excuse? No. Observation in fact? I think so.

You guys ever laid an egg at work? In fact, do any of you guys do anything at work that requires some degree of open scrutiny? Love to know....

Wow. Talking about cutting your stats to meet your needs. How about you include the records of the teams he lost to as well? Would that not make a more fair comparison?

I don't know the numbers but my guess is what you will prove: we on average are beating the teams we should and losing to the teams that the spread says we should during that whole 4 year time period you laid out (yesterday notwithstanding).

You guys on here sometimes really take the cake. We play in the best conference in the World, he started off with a program in shambles, and has noticably improved every year. For Heaven's sake we beat UGA, FL, barely lost to A&M and have just run out of steam due to injury and expectation management.

These are kids. Remember?

We have a team full of veterans, and with two thirds of the season behind us, have yet to put together a complete game.

If a fan from any other team were reading what you just posted, they would laugh out loud at the "relatively clean program" comment. We have had way more than average serious behavioral issues come up during Butch's time here.

Reactions: 2 people
BTW if anyone can figure out how to make a bet in some sort of open forum of sorts where the money sits somewhere and nobody can get screwed, let me know.

I'll put $500 that we win out against any of you "statisticians". Any takers?

Based on what we've seen from the get go this year, this loss should not have been unexpected.

A good team cannot continue to dig a hole in the first half of every single game this year and hope to crawl out of it with a win every single time.

We were very fortunate against Appy State. We were lucky regarding fumbles against VT. We got physically beat up by Ohio U. We were lucky to take our first lead in OT against aTm, we were a Hail Mary away from a blown lead in the 4th quarter at Georgia and if we didn't come out of half time on fire against FL the streak would still be alive.

There isn't a single game this season where we were a dominant team.

What happened to the teams we saw that demolished Iowa and Northwestern in the Bowls?

This ain't it, fellas.

If a fan from any other team were reading what you just posted, they would laugh out loud at the "relatively clean program" comment. We have had way more than average serious behavioral issues come up during Butch's time here.

How many players have been charged and found guilty of anything while playing under CBJ?

but we want a championship not a 9-3 season

Reactions: 2 people

It's not just "ONE game". This has been a culmination of poor coaching over the last four years. Sadly, we are stuck with a great recruiter that can't coach. This was my concern when we hired the the coach that was Dooley's biggest victory.

Oh yeah, there is not one person in the state of Tennessee that wouldn't drop Butch like a bad habit if we could land Urban. Ammiright?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back