Softball vs Bama

2-1 Vols

Gibson scored Dotson in the first for a 1-0 lead.

Alabama responded with a HBP, advanced to 2nd and scored on a blooper to right field.

Davin led off the 6th with a single to left, advanced to 2nd on sac bunt by Akamine.... and scored on Rainy Gaffin's 2 out, 2 strike double to center... center fielder went back to the wall, dove and dropped the ball at the wall to score Davin.

Bama threatens in the 7th but Ivy slams the door shut for a 2-1 win.... a K and 2 ground balls to gibson... 4-3 outs ended the 7th

Ivy back to her freshman wizardary -- any news who is pitching Sunday ? Gabriel seems to struggle at times -- any reason for that ?

It was a good game today 3/9/13 for TN. Nice stadium. TN was more aggressive and a good team....

side note.....

Auburn with a 5-4 win over the Gators.... a 6th inning home run to take the 5-4 lead.

Missouri and LSU also lost -- UT should move up in the rankings with another W Sunday --- Texas A&M looks scarier than Alabama and UF so far (JMO)

I would pitch Erin...nothing to lose already won the series and thats what its all about is winning series in the SEC

Ivy back to her freshman wizardary -- any news who is pitching Sunday ? Gabriel seems to struggle at times -- any reason for that ?

Gabriel is doing great. She's only a freshman and she's not going to come directly into SEC ball and strike out 34 batters in a game. Her era is right around 1.50.

It's really nice that we were able to sign her. If we waited until next year, it would have been a lot easier to sign a big time pitcher but we would had a true freshmen in the rotation, as Ivy graduates this year. I wish we could have got her to redshirt but you don't get a player like this without promising as much playing time as possible, I would think.

I'm so glad we were able to get her to come here despite her knowing we already had two of the best pitchers in the nation.

Remember, even Ivy wasn't that great as a freshmen until she just all the suddenly found herself late in the year and carried the team to the WCWS and #3 ranking.

edited: BTW I think it will be Ellen tomorrow with Ivy on standby. They don't announce that info.

Gabriel is doing great. She's only a freshman and she's not going to come directly into SEC ball and strike out 34 batters in a game. Her era is right around 1.50.

It's really nice that we were able to sign her. If we waited until next year, it would have been a lot easier to sign a big time pitcher but we would had a true freshmen in the rotation, as Ivy graduates this year. I wish we could have got her to redshirt but you don't get a player like this without promising as much playing time as possible, I would think.

I'm so glad we were able to get her to come here despite her knowing we already had two of the best pitchers in the nation.

Remember, even Ivy wasn't that great as a freshmen until she just all the suddenly found herself late in the year and carried the team to the WCWS and #3 ranking.

edited: BTW I think it will be Ellen tomorrow with Ivy on standby. They don't announce that info.

I think it will be Erin, followed by Chey....ralph said all 4 would pitch this weekend...and like I said with the series already in hand why not throw Erin out there against bama and see how she does

JMO but I think EG will go in the UF series - I think Weekly has venom and badly wants a sweep of the Lady Elephants

I think it will be Erin, followed by Chey....ralph said all 4 would pitch this weekend...and like I said with the series already in hand why not throw Erin out there against bama and see how she does

Whoever gets the nod ---- GLV :clapping:

Could anybody in the left field bleachers tell if the AL center fielder caught the ball in the 6th or not? Could not tell from behind the plate. 3rd base ump should have had best look and seemed lost. Odd that home umpire would make call

Last edited:
Great 2 wins. 2 negatives about yesterday. When Raven reached to lead off the 5th in a tie game, then stole 2nd,how do you not bunt her to 3rd? Kat was slapping on the 1st strike then swung away the last 2 pitches before popping out. Then Gibson walks. Then Shipman hits long flyout that would have scored Raven if she'd been on 3rd.Just my opinion, Kat has to bunt her over. Not slap,not swing away.It's not important for her to reach base in that situation,it's important to have the runner on 3rd with 1 out.

The other thing was not much adjustment from the right-handed batters. Out of 8 hits Davin had the only hit from a righty. She also had a hard line out.ALA pitcher threw 9 of every 10 pitches to the 3rd base corner, so she was jamming the righties constantly.Result was 1 for 10 with 3 pop outs and 4 K's.Would liked to have seen the righties back off the plate and force AL pitcher to change her routine.She was obviously not comfortable throwing to the 1st base corner of the plate.

Anyway, great 2 wins,GBO get the sweep

Last edited:
Anybody hear those 3 Alabama Sea cows and their bull over in section B screaming that UT cheats to win and how our athletic dept is going broke which is why they won't let people keep foul balls? Talk about your stereotypical Alabama fans just looking at their fat faces sweat while they shoved popcorn in them almost made me want to puke. I hope they aren't there today...

Anybody hear those 3 Alabama Sea cows and their bull over in section B screaming that UT cheats to win and how our athletic dept is going broke which is why they won't let people keep foul balls? Talk about your stereotypical Alabama fans just looking at their fat faces sweat while they shoved popcorn in them almost made me want to puke. I hope they aren't there today...

Shows you how much they don't know....UT as far back as I can remember never let anyone keep foul balls

If they are there --- post a pic on here for some amusement

VN Store

Back