Social Security - your thoughts?

The pension model wont work going forward. Need to reform to provide the benefit instead of the cash for the benefit.

Be tough to do it on holdings but buy or sell, yes. I'm talking if you buy $1 million of Boeing stock you pay something along the lines of $1k in tax. Same if you sell.
You’re going to tax the transaction twice? On the way in, and on the way out?

If I sell the $1M for $1.2M, I’ll also pay capital gains tax.

I likely paid income tax on the base $1M.

This is a party.

Be tough to do it on holdings but buy or sell, yes. I'm talking if you buy $1 million of Boeing stock you pay something along the lines of $1k in tax. Same if you sell.

Like the "tiny" stock buyback tax that Biden passed and has already tried to raise.

The same tiny tax that they haven't collected because the Biden admin can't issue guidance and regulations timely

Something like that???

Look, I have not worked out the numbers and I am not saying it is THE solution. I just offered it for discussion purposes based on the assumption that we want to fully fund it. Seems to me that is the starting point and also seems to me that it is politically impossible not to do so.

So, assuming we must fund it, how do we go about doing that?

Look, I have not worked out the numbers and I am not saying it is THE solution. I just offered it for discussion purposes based on the assumption that we want to fully fund it. Seems to me that is the starting point and also seems to me that it is politically impossible not to do so.

Are you dead-set opposed to privatization of SS?

Are you dead-set opposed to privatization of SS?

Put it this way: I am very skeptical of it and the Devil would be in the details. I assume that you do not mean to allow actual individual direction but rather, for example, very low risk, bond-oriented investments for some relatively small portion of a retiree's account. Perhaps a bit more aggressive for someone in their 30s. And sliding in between.

Reactions: McDad
Put it this way: I am very skeptical of it and the Devil would be in the details. I assume that you do not mean to allow actual individual direction but rather, for example, very low risk, bond-oriented investments for some relatively small portion of a retiree's account. Perhaps a bit more aggressive for someone in their 30s. And sliding in between.
Something similar. Not bonds. Simplex, no load index funds. Can have a choice from a few. All have impeccable track records over decades. And/or simple 401s. Point is, like you said, a limited choice of very stable options. Or they could choose to stay enrolled in SS.
This would offload a lot of people from SS system.

Also, allow folks who are currently in SS the option of pulling out a discounted lump sum to place in the limited options. Pretty easy to calculate whether a person is better off in or out of SS depending on age and expected rates of return.

Wow. Insightful. This had only been said about a million times before.

Solutions are what we need to discuss now.

Means testing is a non starter. Raising retirement age by a year, maybe that would work. Or combo that with a tiny tax on securities since tax rate increase on the wealthy is apparently also untenable.
A fraction of one percent.
Oh hell no. Can't you people ever get your grubby paws the hell out of my wallet? You already steal enough that you then throw down a rat hole.

We gave the govt trillions, asked them to hold it for us, and they spent it. Who could have possibly seen that coming?
And we have a ton of LGs that want to give them more.... with zero accountability.

Something similar. Not bonds. Simplex, no load index funds. Can have a choice from a few. All have impeccable track records over decades. And/or simple 401s. Point is, like you said, a limited choice of very stable options. Or they could choose to stay enrolled in SS.
This would offload a lot of people from SS system.

Also, allow folks who are currently in SS the option of pulling out a discounted lump sum to place in the limited options. Pretty easy to calculate whether a person is better off in or out of SS depending on age and expected rates of return.

The concern is obvious, which is that if there were a substantial market downturn, or even a modest one that lasted a period of a few years, you'd have people who run out of $ to pay for retirement substantially before they would have, had they been getting the steady SS check.

Everyone would love it if it consistently gave 5% + growth. But if it got sluggish and there were the kind of enormous losses that would entail to a huge population with no alternatives, not so much.

Then when that isn't 'enough', they will sigh and squirm and say "we just need a little bit more". No. They already get enough. How about a constitutional amendment for a 15% flat tax on ALL income? For everybody.

Maybe it would help if we stop forgiving loans and stop sending billions to countries that will never appreciate it.

Then when that isn't 'enough', they will sigh and squirm and say "we just need a little bit more". No. They already get enough. How about a constitutional amendment for a 15% flat tax on ALL income? For everybody.

GOP would never go for that. Their benefactors pay nothing close to that now.

Reactions: turbovol
Maybe it would help if we stop forgiving loans and stop sending billions to countries that will never appreciate it.
I for one don't care whether or not any of them 'appreciate it'. I want OUR tax dollars to benefit OUR country first. If there is any left over then we can be generous. With $4,000,000,000,000.00 in debt, we are nowhere near that point yet.

Reactions: overseasorange2
LOL Right. And the elitist Democrats are so magnanimous that they pay more than 'their fair share'.

You are such a partisan hack.

Just being honest. The billionaires and those worth many millions game the system and pay much lower percentages than 15.

VN Store

Back