So which game?

Sooner, the only major things to see in Memphis are Graceland and Beale Street. Nashville has a ton of things to do downtown. Just go to the Nashville visitors center and there are pages of things to see and do. Downtown Nashville is one of the safest downtown areas you can visit. Tourism is such big business that the police keep it pretty safe, but like always you shouls be aware of your surroundings. Stay in the Cool Springs area south of town and you will have easy access to downtown Nashville and great food and a safe area to stay. I will let the East Tn guys fill you in on that area, but I will say if you have never been, while you and your wife are here you ought to go over to the Smokey Mtns. Gatlinburg is maybe an hour or so away when traffic is not bad. The Rockies and Smokies are both beautiful in different ways. Have fun, enjoy yourselves. Myou will find that most Vol fans are very friendly and enjoy other teams fans as long as they are decent and respectful. Please come back and post again. That said go VOLS beat the Sooners. Lol

We should just have a nudist convention one game. Every fan in attendance is butt naked. It would be original, and intimidating.

I would have to buy a permanent seat.
No way in the future, I am sitting where Bubba the giant hairy backed redneck placed his naked arse.

Huge Sooner fan here, I posted a bit during the OU-Tennessee game last year and really enjoyed the conversation. I don't have the privileges yet to make my own post so I thought I would just put this here. First, congrats on a great end to your season and an impressive bowl victory. Wish I could say the same for the Sooners, it really couldn't have ended worse. Having said that, It's been a bucket list item of mine to attend a game in Knoxville and plan on being there in September. I had a few questions for the experts around here in terms of ticket availability, lodging, entertainment, etc. Plan is for the wife and I to make a mini-vacation out of the trip and go to Memphis (Graceland) Nashville and then obviously Knoxville. So, here goes...

Tickets - any chance of snagging tickets at the game? Should I look online at ticket broker sites? What would you expect for me to pay for tickets to this game?

Lodging - planning on staying Knoxville Friday and Saturday night. Would you recommend staying in Knoxville or another town just outside of knoxville? What would I expect to pay in terms of pricing somewhat close to the stadium?

Entertainment - Specifically for Friday what are recommendations for good food, bars or if there are any sightseeing type activities that can be done during the day and at night. Also, for gameday what are some must see traditions or what would any of you guys recommend as far as the perfect gameday rituals or must do's. Thank you in advance!

Take it from a Memphian, Graceland is in what has now become a bad part of town and Beale Street now has a cover charge some nights and is overrated and overpriced. To experience the night life in Memphis try middtown areas like the Cooper Young area and Madison Avenue area. The food/bar scene has been completely revitalized there.

Last edited:
Sooner, the only major things to see in Memphis are Graceland and Beale Street. Nashville has a ton of things to do downtown. Just go to the Nashville visitors center and there are pages of things to see and do. Downtown Nashville is one of the safest downtown areas you can visit. Tourism is such big business that the police keep it pretty safe, but like always you shouls be aware of your surroundings. Stay in the Cool Springs area south of town and you will have easy access to downtown Nashville and great food and a safe area to stay. I will let the East Tn guys fill you in on that area, but I will say if you have never been, while you and your wife are here you ought to go over to the Smokey Mtns. Gatlinburg is maybe an hour or so away when traffic is not bad. The Rockies and Smokies are both beautiful in different ways. Have fun, enjoy yourselves. Myou will find that most Vol fans are very friendly and enjoy other teams fans as long as they are decent and respectful. Please come back and post again. That said go VOLS beat the Sooners. Lol

As I responded to him, don't even recommend Beale Street anymore. They've started charging a cover fee for busy nights and it's become more dangerous. Middtown is where it's at now.

Huge Sooner fan here, I posted a bit during the OU-Tennessee game last year and really enjoyed the conversation. I don't have the privileges yet to make my own post so I thought I would just put this here. First, congrats on a great end to your season and an impressive bowl victory. Wish I could say the same for the Sooners, it really couldn't have ended worse. Having said that, It's been a bucket list item of mine to attend a game in Knoxville and plan on being there in September. I had a few questions for the experts around here in terms of ticket availability, lodging, entertainment, etc. Plan is for the wife and I to make a mini-vacation out of the trip and go to Memphis (Graceland) Nashville and then obviously Knoxville. So, here goes...

Tickets - any chance of snagging tickets at the game? Should I look online at ticket broker sites? What would you expect for me to pay for tickets to this game?

Lodging - planning on staying Knoxville Friday and Saturday night. Would you recommend staying in Knoxville or another town just outside of knoxville? What would I expect to pay in terms of pricing somewhat close to the stadium?

Entertainment - Specifically for Friday what are recommendations for good food, bars or if there are any sightseeing type activities that can be done during the day and at night. Also, for gameday what are some must see traditions or what would any of you guys recommend as far as the perfect gameday rituals or must do's. Thank you in advance!

Welcome back sooner. I live close so can't help a lot with lodging. Threads go away quick so if there is not many helpful answers, maybe I will make this a thread for you. Not sure if you are familiar with the area at all but google Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge if you are looking for the mini vacation feel. Very close to knoxville and the attractions are close to one another, saving driving time. The towns are tourist attractions but with limited time, that may be what you are looking for. Just give them a look and let me know.

UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Gameday
This website will answer most of your gameday questions. I recommend watching the band Salute the Hill. I think it's a good experience also the Vol Walk is pretty cool. It's like every other team's player walk except there's a lot of fans at tennessee's compared to other schools. I also wouldn't spend too much time in memphis. I think one night tops. Go to Graceland and a good BBQ place (not Rendevous its a tourist trap). On the other hand nashville is a lot better. I would recommend looking at the opryland hotel. It's huge and is where the Music City Bowl hosts both teams. It's also next to a huge mall if the wife enjoys shopping. In addition, I wouldn't try to find tickets on the street that day. There's going to be a bunch of excitement for this game(and season) and tickets will be limited. You'll pay in the neighborhood of $80 a ticket on ut's website and you'll probsbly be in the upper-deck. Which if you don't enjoy heights I don't recommend. The upper deck is basically straight up. Jesse Palmer(former Florida QB) has been quoted as saying the fans are right on top of you which they are. You're pretty high up there. Nevertheless, that game is going to have a fantastic atmosphere and you will come away very impressed. And get there early, the bands pregame show and team entrance is the best in the country.

Reactions: 1 person
Bowling Green: It would be a nice way of saying "We Own Middle Tennessee!" Plus we can use it as a background for our new Middle TN billboards!

VN Store

Back