So did we sacrifice this season

Atlvol313

By allowing Nico to sit knowing that Milton was going to try but not be a world killer. Did we look at the schedule and say that beating Bama and UGA would be too much to ask for a freshman.
Nico was prepared for today way more than I thought he’d be.
Looking forward to spring and next fall.

By allowing Nico to sit knowing that Milton was going to try but not be a world killer. Did we look at the schedule and say that beating Bama and UGA would be too much to ask for a freshman.
No.

The only game where it might have made a difference is Florida. The other three we just didn't have enough at other positions.

No...you don't get better by not playing

No

Reactions: VFLBerg
Nico wasn’t ready. He has the potential to be as good as Hendon, which is the modern benchmark for how good a player could be in Heupel’s system, but he would’ve gotten slaughtered with this team in SEC play. It could have ruined him.

I love the kid and what I think he can accomplish the next few years though.

over-it-icegif.gif

On the radio a few days ago . . . Ainge said Nico did not play for a high school team that taught him how to read defenses . . . And he was a raw talent that needed most of this year to learn how to read defenses / really play the QB position. It was a process for him all year.

He wasn’t ready until recently. One can perhaps make the case that he needed more reps throughout the season, but the fact is we don’t know what we don’t know about his progression in practice.

Let it go. His time is here now. The fact is nobody wants to win more than the coach, and he’ll make the decisions that he feels achieve that.

I’m ok with it, had he started in somewhat of an off year he very well could have been hurt very bad with a reoccurring injury. Now, I’m looking forward to 2024 much more than I was 2023.

Reactions: tn4elvis
No. Learn to look forward. Three years ago we could only dream of playing in two NYD bowls in a row. Now it's a reality.

Nico got the tools. Will he have a good team around him and does he have the brains. Looked like he was staring down one guy every time he went back to pass. It is just his first start so he should get better.

If by sacrifice do you mean we kept our future starting QB healthy, allowed him to showcase his skills in a New Year's Day bowl, and are now in a much better position to compete in 2024??? Then yes... yes we did.
Yep. That’s what I meant.

A couple better OL men Stewart and McCoy return we will be ready next season to put up big numbers on offense. If the defense can hold the other team then were in for a big winning season. Nico was better than Joe when the season started, but I accept what the coaches did considering all the holes we had at some positions.

Nico wasn’t ready. He has the potential to be as good as Hendon, which is the modern benchmark for how good a player could be in Heupel’s system, but he would’ve gotten slaughtered with this team in SEC play. It could have ruined him.

I love the kid and what I think he can accomplish the next few years though.
It also could’ve given him much more needed experience in SEC play. All this talk about getting slaughtered with “this team”. It’s much of the same team he will play with next season. Seeing SEC play could’ve done good for him.

VN Store

Back