So, Bobby Denton...

Yes, I do. That's why the survey was commissioned in the first place, to find out the attitudes that our fans had toward many aspects of gameday at Tennessee.

If they have planned 7 shows, then I assume the AD elected not to go in the direction of alternate entertainment at a game. But if you think that wasn't discussed, then I will respectfully say that you were misinformed.

It could be that the possibility of having the band not perform at a halftime (the Troy game was what they were focusing on, by the way), was never actually presented as a possibility to the band, but I am certain that it was seriously considered by the marketing department. I, for one, am very glad that they elected not to do that.

I agree that there would have been a lot of backlash and am glad that won't have to be dealt with. But you have to keep in mind that there is a growing segment of the fanbase that has no attachment to the band outside of the T. The survey found that a segment of fans preferred "canned" music and videos during timeouts instead of the band. It also found that some fans would be more likely to come to a non-conference game if there was a halftime concert or similar event.

Again, I am not one of those people, but they're out there, and the number of responses they gave in the survey was very surprising.

Let's hope that the athletic department never resorts to that.

DeerPark, see if you can weigh in on this situation: Last year the UT athletic department was impressed by Alabama's video boards and the piped in rock music between plays that they did it the next week in Neyland at the MTSU game. Did you hear any discussions of that last year?

National trend.

Pay attention to games around the country as you watch this year, you hear bands a LOT less during timeouts. There are also a lot of B-list singers doing halftime concerts that do not involve the school's band.

The SEC still requires that a visiting team's band be allowed to play during halftime if they wish to do so (for conference opponents). The Pac12, Big East, ACC and Big XII no longer have that requirement. I know of at least one ACC school that didn't travel the full band to a game they had planned to last season after finding out they couldn't perform at halftime due to a concert.

Last year in Neyland, MTSU's band wasn't allowed to do halftime because of homecoming. That's one good thing about the SEC rule that you mentioned: our band can go down to Alabama and still get a 7 minute slot during halftime.

DeerPark, see if you can weigh in on this situation: Last year the UT athletic department was impressed by Alabama's video boards and the piped in rock music between plays that they did it the next week in Neyland at the MTSU game. Did you hear any discussions of that last year?

Coaches have wanted to do that for years because the players like it.

We tried it a bit late in 2008 under Fulmer, Kiffin wanted to have some sort of uptempo rock or rap between every play on defense. He lost that argument, but they did play Kid Rock before kickoffs early in his season. Fan response was negative on those.

Again, that's the reason they did the survey, because previously, the only fan feedback on any issue from band, jumbotron, music, concessions, uniforms, game times, etc. was complaint phone calls to the AD. People don't call in when they like something. So the AD wanted to know where fans stood.

I'll be very interested to see what changes from that aspect this year, but I'm hearing that there will be a LOT of in-game music changes.

Coaches have wanted to do that for years because the players like it.

We tried it a bit late in 2008 under Fulmer, Kiffin wanted to have some sort of uptempo rock or rap between every play on defense. He lost that argument, but they did play Kid Rock before kickoffs early in his season. Fan response was negative on those.

Again, that's the reason they did the survey, because previously, the only fan feedback on any issue from band, jumbotron, music, concessions, uniforms, game times, etc. was complaint phone calls to the AD. People don't call in when they like something. So the AD wanted to know where fans stood.

I'll be very interested to see what changes from that aspect this year, but I'm hearing that there will be a LOT of in-game music changes.

I remember last year that there was a lot of arguments going on between the sound crew and the band directors during the MTSU game due to all of the piped in music. It almost got to the point that the directors were going to make the entire band leave.

As for the discussion about the band refusing to drive to Fayetteville, would you be willing to take a busride for 10 hours, to then work, to then drive 10 hours back? No, that's unacceptable.

We had cool rainsuits in '98. I only rmember wearing them for the Arky game. But I am glad to hear that they are letting them take their coats off....they can get hot.

I hope POTS marching band directors can inject some fun into it for everyone.

Does anyone know if the trombone section is still doing the traditional hokey pokey before each game?

lol Yes, they still do that

As for the discussion about the band refusing to drive to Fayetteville, would you be willing to take a busride for 10 hours, to then work, to then drive 10 hours back? No, that's unacceptable.

They would have left on Thursday, stayed Friday and returned Sunday.

I have no problem with the marching band playing at halftime of every game. I want them to.

What I DO NOT want, however, is anything EVER again like some of the asinine shows we had last year. The Wizard of Oz routine at the Georgia game was the low point of all time. I was embarrassed.

Just play some regular songs, march around, and be done with it.

Reactions: 1 person
They would have left on Thursday, stayed Friday and returned Sunday.

still miserable...I feel as if it would actually either save or be almost equivalent flying by flying in Friday, saving a day's worth of per diem and lodging.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter. UT fans will find another whipping boy to witch and moan about. Never happy....never satisfied....with anything...about anyone. It's been that way for as long as I can remember in my 50+ years. Reached a fever pitch with any and every member of the Fulmer staff and has carried on with just about every coach and admin outside of Summit. Fire 'em...fire 'em all. That's the new Vol mantra.

Can a post be stickied? Is "stickied" a word? Great post anyhow.

VN Store

Back